Inauguration events come to Fresno State

Some watched television and millions more from behind computer screens, but on Tuesday morning, members of the Fresno State community converged on campus to participate in several inauguration-viewing activities.

The Satellite Student Union, where the university hosted a broadcast of CNN̢۪s coverage of the inauguration, had about 40 people in attendance, and many expressed excitement about the inauguration.

Inauguration a social, political ‘milestone’

Senior Denise Villegas and sophomore Pazao Xiong both looked forward to the inauguration.

Villegas described an optimism that Obama̢۪s presidency will mark a larger shift in social attitudes.

“I think it is obviously a big moment in history with respect to racial discrimination. I hope it will lead to changes in getting rid of discrimination in everything in the workplace: gender, race, sexual preference,â€Â Villegas said.

Students were not the only audience members eager to watch the proceedings. Tom Holyoke, assistant professor of political science, was also in attendance Tuesday morning. Like many others, Holyoke described the event as “historic.â€Â

“First and foremost, that he’s the first African-American president is an enormous milestone. It’s also the transition, not only from one president to another, but from one party to the other, all against the backdrop of a very serious economic crisis,â€Â Holyoke said.

Fox News, Fresno partner for live forum

Meanwhile, in Conley Art 101, other members of the campus community participated in a forum for Fox News that included live responses to the inauguration. Fresno was one of only four cities in the nation selected to participate in the forum. The other cities included New York, Detroit and Fayetteville, N.C.

According to Raj Nair, who helped produce the forum, Fox News chose Fresno to participate because the city has been affected by the current economic crisis. Nair was surprised by the participants. “I always thought California was pretty liberal, but the sentiment in this room was pretty conservative,â€Â he said.

One participant, alumnus Paul Takhar, described himself as a moderate Republican, but voted for Barack Obama in the 2008 presidential election.

“I love John McCain, but I believe the Republican party’s message was bad,” he said.

Takhar added, “The party needs to reinvent themselves.â€Â He cited a lack of fiscal responsibility as well as stances on energy policies and social issues as major problems for the party.

Student Ashley Heinrich, a senior in business marketing, also participated. “As a college student, I’m struggling to find a full-time job when I graduate in May,â€Â said Heinrich, expressing concerns about the nation’s economy.

Back in the Satellite Student Union, Joyce Ester, Assistant Vice President for Judicial Affairs and Division Planning, tried to articulate her own personal reaction. Tears in her eyes, Ester said, finally, “It was just — I don’t know. It was just amazing for me.â€Â