History in the making

Sarah Gilbert / The Collegian

Win, lose or draw, women̢۪s lacrosse will make history in the Valley on Feb. 7.

For coach Sue Behme and the all-new Fresno State women̢۪s lacrosse team, it̢۪s not about wins or losses this year: It̢۪s about making history.

The first ever collegiate lacrosse game in the Central Valley takes place on Feb. 7 against Cal inside Bulldog Stadium.

Behme and her team have already got their top priority in focus as their inaugural game approaches.

“Our first priority is practice this week and get a chance for these ladies to play in another competition,â€Â Behme said. “I feel good about the fact that these ladies stepped out of their comfort zone and took a lot of courage to say ‘We’re going to make history. We’re going to be a part of this and do what we can to make this work’.â€Â

Community support for unfamiliar sport

Behme comes all the way from Division III Nazareth College in New York, to coach in a community not very familiar with the sport of lacrosse.

However, there has been plenty of support from the Fresno State community and places outside of the campus for the newest sport in the Valley.

“I think it’s been a comprehensive effort,â€Â Behme said. “With Fresno Unified starting a program, that’s a huge advantage for our sport, numbers-wise. There are now 100 girls who have never played the sport before now playing in the community. The parents are enthusiastic about it and their schools are enthusiastic. I think our marketing folks and administration have done a great job of getting this information out to this community.â€Â

UNR lacrosse club president joins Bulldogs

For sophomore Heather Jack, lacrosse has been a part of her life dating back to when she was in the eighth grade. Today she has trouble getting rest when thinking of her first collegiate lacrosse game.

“I’m already so excited, I can’t sleep at night,â€Â Jack said. “This has been a dream come true for me because I’ve always wanted to play Division I and just to be able to play at the collegiate level. It’s a pretty amazing experience and I love it.â€Â

Sarah Gilbert / The Collegian

Jack was the founder and president of the lacrosse club while attending the University of Nevada. Her knowledge of the sport has been looking to provide a helping hand for her teammates, especially the ones unfamiliar with the sport of lacrosse.

“Experience-wise, I’ve always donated my time to anyone who needed help,â€Â Jack said. “Leadership-wise, I assumed my role as a leader, but it wasn’t anything like stepping on people’s toes, it was lending a hand.â€Â

‘We know what it takes’

Senior Andrea Alires has also been seen as an example for her teammates, because of her soccer experience with Fresno State.

“Me and three other student-athletes on the team have played a sport here,â€Â Alires said. “We know what it takes to get mentally prepared and play for the Bulldogs.â€Â

Alires was a second team All-WAC performer in 2007 while playing Fresno State soccer. She now has her sights set on making an impact with her newest sport.

“We have nothing to lose,â€Â Alires said. “We’re really excited. The athletic program, the community, student-athletes and coaches have supported us. We want to get a win. We can only go up.â€Â

Her new teammate Jack plans on having a positive perspective when the season starts on the afternoon of Feb. 7.

“We will come out of the game with our heads up no matter what the outcome is,â€Â Jack said.

Behme believes that the season will be a work in progress before the historic first victory comes to the new lacrosse squad, whether it̢۪s against Cal or later on in the year.

“I think there’s a lot of information about the game and skills that need to develop in time,â€Â Behme said. “This year is not going to be perfect, and it takes a long time to learn this game, but I think these girls are doing a really great job.â€Â

East coast bias…

Central California isn’t exactly crazy for women’s lacrosse – yet. Fresno State only has two home games in its first season and will make more than a few trips back east.

̢ۢFirst home game: Feb. 7 vs. Cal

̢ۢSecond home game: April 4 vs. St. Mary̢۪s

̢ۢ Road games include trips to the following states: Ohio, Michigan, New York, Maryland, Colorado, Oregon and the District of Columbia

CHECK BACK NEXT WEEK:

In preparation for lacrosse̢۪s first home game on February 7, The Collegian will break down the Valley̢۪s newest sport next Wednesday and get you ready for the inaugural game.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Jenna SmithMar 22, 2012 at 2:58 am

I admire girls who are in to sports. I’m not really a sporty type. I am afraid of getting hit by a ball or your team mates. I admire your passion.

• R

RecNov 4, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Benjamin,

I have to say I agree with you. Title IX really sucks.

Rec @ Recycle City

Benjamin ButtonJan 28, 2009 at 7:34 pm

two home games? How did we get cheated on that? and with 11 or 12 road games?

Wrong about the first college lacrosse in the central valley. UC Merced, UOP, and some other schools have had men’s club college lacrosse for at least a few years now.

This is why Title IX sucks. College scholarships for some young women who have never played this sport in their life when we can’t even have NCAA wrestling as a non-scholarship varisty-level sport.

Benjamin ButtonJan 29, 2009 at 2:34 am