Bulldog Game Day

Bryan Cole / The Collegian

MEN̢۪S BASKETBALL

Thursday, January 22, AT 7 P.M., Save Mart Center

Fresno State Bulldogs (7-11, 0-4 WAC) vs. Louisiana Tech Bulldogs (8-10, 2-3 WAC)

Breakdown: Bulldogs

Even with a winless record in the conference, coach Steve Cleveland still has an upbeat basketball squad.

“The morale of the team is excellent,â€Â Cleveland said. “Everyone is frustrated, but this team is resilient and they won’t give up. This is a great group with a great attitude.â€Â

Fresno State came off of a rugged, two-game road trip with conference powers Utah State and Nevada, where they lost by margins of just four and five points.

Cleveland believes that his team is making progress towards the next big step — and hopes to take that step Thursday night at the Save Mart Center.

“We proved that we can compete with anyone in this league,â€Â Cleveland said. “We haven’t proven that we can beat anyone in this league but that’s the next step.â€Â

Fresno State had to overcome deficits of 15 points against Nevada and 18 points in their conference opener against New Mexico State.

The Bulldogs will need to keep up and not fall so far behind to win their first league game.

Breakdown: Louisiana Tech

Coach Steve Cleveland̢۪s Bulldogs have enjoyed success against Louisiana Tech with four straight victories. But this Louisiana Tech team may pose a challenge.

“They’re a completely different team,â€Â Cleveland said. “They’re very physical and strong, and have an outstanding two guard in Jamel Guyton who was a junior college All-American and Kyle Gibson who was the leading scorer last year at the three.â€Â

Tech is more experienced with three returning starters, two seniors, three junior college transfers, and a transfer from Southeastern Conference power Louisiana State.

Keys to Victory

The Bulldogs win if …
They do not fall behind in the second half and if senior Dwight O̢۪Neil has more assists than baskets.

Louisiana Tech wins if …
It gets ahead early and forces Fresno State to rely on the three-point shot to come from behind.

Player to watch:
Sylvester Seay, forward