The things that matter

IT HAS COME TO MY ATTENTION THAT A LITTLE GEM of an opinion has shown up on the radar of Fresno Famous.

Earlier this week, the Web site posted an entry about a recent CampusSpeak asking students about KFSR. To my surprise, the poster seems to believe that I, one-half of the team that tracks out into the campus abyss most Mondays at noon to plead random students to answer random questions for CampusSpeak, am at fault for the ignorance of Fresno State attendees. Not only is this entirely off base, but a gross accusation.

I suppose it̢۪s my fault that even though we stood outside the Speech Arts building with the satellites plainly in view, only two students we even talked to were aware of KFSR.

To label the articles of my column “frivolousâ€Â or a “waste of spaceâ€Â is one thing — because yes, they are an excuse for me to not care about school for a couple of moments in my life — but to attack me for something that is completely out of the mouths of others and out of my control is misguided.

We don̢۪t go out asking these questions in hopes of uncovering out-of-touch students and the one jerk on campus that makes everyone look bad.

Those who protest the loudest for how ridiculous the CampusSpeak in the Wednesday paper and the Web site video makes the population look are the ones who informed us they were “late for classâ€Â at 12:15 p.m. when we asked if they could spare a minute.

As a newbie on the Collegian staff, I̢۪ve taken a habit of reading all the comments on the site; not just for opinion, but also across the sections. A small percentage of them actually praise the article and an even smaller amount actually contributes anything.

Most, drum roll please, are boisterously negative, viciously attacking the writer, article itself, or vomiting hatred toward the entire Collegian.

I’ve lost count the number of times any one of my fellow Opinion writers have received the same tired bitchslap question, “how is this worthy of print?â€Â

It̢۪s not just us; it is all Web sites that enable comments. You all who take the time to get worked up about something that you̢۪ve read enough to type and send are an angry lot.

Sometimes you use your names and others hide behind some machismo Internet persona they̢۪ve invented where they attempt to belittle people just doing their job (not all of us are paid, mind you) in order to maybe get a few agreements from fellow yes-men.

Well I̢۪m ready for it, give me your worst:

I hate Dane Cook still for his crater-face, the material he has stolen, and the movies he has ruined.

I think pirates are cooler than ninjas. They function while drunk and sail the seven seas.

I’ve never seen “The Notebookâ€Â and never plan to because any movie that is slated to make a person cry is a terrible motivator. I’m sure the movie is touching; I just prefer violence in my movies.

I thought it bizarre that everyone I knew had no idea “Matildaâ€Â was a book before a movie until I found out that “The Neverending Storyâ€Â is based off a German novel.

I had so much fun attending my first strip club a couple of months ago that I keep trying to convince my guy friends to take me again.

I hate the neighbor who lives below me for reasons including that he once listened to “Love Shackâ€Â by the B-52s eight times in one day.

I graduate next semester and have absolutely no idea what I̢۪m doing afterwards but I know for sure it will not be in Fresno because the atmosphere suffocates creativity, passion and kindness.

Those are my opinions and this is the Opinion section.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Dec 9, 2008 at 3:11 am

And to make you feel better:

FresNO FameLess has sucked ever since Suzi Arnold left the scene.
    Remember the original 1.0 design?

If not, check out:
    www . thinkinkless . com/ ti_old / portfolio . html

Even before Suzi re-designed the site to that, Jarah spent more than 50% of the time North of Belmont avenue. The original name was: “FresnoFamous: Life Below Belmont”

If you look at it now, the whole dark, McCain (star), Imperialist look to it suites FresNO’s culture, and characters like Jery Dyer (with his shaved, skin-head), perfectly.

Fascist Fresno!!!

Don’t worry about people on FresNO FameLess … it may be “independent,” but it’s still just another McClatchy company publication (www . fresnofamous . com / node / 4520), and people in FresNO are finicky about things. Things haven’t been the same since Jarah sold it to the Fresno Bee, and especially since Jarah left Fresburg.

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Dec 9, 2008 at 10:11 am

And to make you feel better:

Remember the original 1.0 design?

If not, check out:

Fascist Fresno!!!

And to make you feel better:

Remember the original 1.0 design?

If not, check out:

Fascist Fresno!!!

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Dec 9, 2008 at 2:31 am

Original CampusSpeak Link:
    collegian . csufresno . edu / 2008 / 11 / 18 / students-on-kfsr /

FresNO Fameless Link:
    www . fresnofamous . com / content / collegian-needs-stop-asking-questions

Your response to FresNO Fameless:
    ——————–
    enjoyable mini-rant
    Submitted by Famous Guest on Tue, 12/02/2008 – 20:54

hahaha this is hilarious.
    I am one half of the team that goes out every Monday at noon to ask questions of students for The Collegian. We choose different locations every time and the goal is to get 7 people who even stop to talk to us. From our video it goes through the Opinion editor and then a multimedia editor. These students are willing to put on the microphone, tell us who they are, and answer the random question of the week. WE don’t purposly make students look unintelligent. If they come of that way, well that’s the way it goes. We actually stood outside the Speech Arts when we asked the KFSR question.

So “dingbats?” Uncalled for.
    But the best is yet to come.
    ——————–

My Question to you:
    Is this “article” you purport to have written, “the best yet to come.”

Because if so, I think you’re probably facing as much heat over it as you did on FresNO Fameless.

You know … I wish I could be a photographer. I wish I could show the world, the beauty in it that I see through my eyes … capture that perfect picture that I see so many others capturing. But I faced a fact about myself a while back: I’m not a professional or amateur photographer. It is not for lack of trying, or desire, but that I can’t get that perfect picture. I’m not gifted in this way, as others are to get it, and grab my attention with it. Sometimes you just face facts about yourself.

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Dec 9, 2008 at 9:31 am

Original CampusSpeak Link:

FresNO Fameless Link:

Your response to FresNO Fameless:
    ——————–
    enjoyable mini-rant

hahaha this is hilarious.

So “dingbats?” Uncalled for.
    But the best is yet to come.
    ——————–

My Question to you:

Original CampusSpeak Link:

FresNO Fameless Link:

Your response to FresNO Fameless:
    ——————–
    enjoyable mini-rant

hahaha this is hilarious.

So “dingbats?” Uncalled for.
    But the best is yet to come.
    ——————–

My Question to you:

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Dec 9, 2008 at 2:15 am

Original CampusSpeak Link:
    http://collegian.csufresno.edu/2008/11/18/students-on-kfsr/

FresNO Fameless Link:
    http://www.fresnofamous.com/content/collegian-needs-stop-asking-questions

Your response to FresNO Fameless, I suppose???::
    ——————–
    enjoyable mini-rant

hahaha this is hilarious.

So “dingbats?” Uncalled for.
    But the best is yet to come.
    ——————–

My Question to you:

Because if so, I think you’re probably facing as much heat over it as the video did on FresNO Fameless.

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Dec 9, 2008 at 9:15 am

Original CampusSpeak Link:

FresNO Fameless Link:

——————–
    enjoyable mini-rant

hahaha this is hilarious.

So “dingbats?” Uncalled for.
    But the best is yet to come.
    ——————–

My Question to you:

Original CampusSpeak Link:

FresNO Fameless Link:

——————–
    enjoyable mini-rant

hahaha this is hilarious.

So “dingbats?” Uncalled for.
    But the best is yet to come.
    ——————–

My Question to you:

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Dec 9, 2008 at 1:58 am

On a simpler note, I agree with:
    Harold Brown-Beaver, OBGYN
    I want better quality.
    “Ours is not to question why, but to do or die.”

Would you show-off what you’ve written / published thus far for job interviews? Think about it that way. What you’ve written – does it belong to Fresno State – or your personal experience? If it’s your personal experience, doesn’t it belong someplace else. If it’s a school experience, where’s the thoughts / questioning of other students for the piece, and subsequent opinion?

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Dec 9, 2008 at 8:58 am

On a simpler note, I agree with:
    Harold Brown-Beaver, OBGYN
    I want better quality.

On a simpler note, I agree with:
    Harold Brown-Beaver, OBGYN
    I want better quality.

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Dec 9, 2008 at 1:53 am

“You all who take the time to get worked up about something that you’ve read enough to type and send are an angry lot.”
    Jeez … you should talk. All things considered, you’re writing a response to justify your job, in part which is getting experience for your major, while in college. (duh) When you go-off like this, or write informational articles about yourself as a central focus – “Poodle Skirt” “Jessica” – and put them in a NEWS SOURCE, it doesn’t look good.

You are correct though … attacking you for student responses is as dumb as the student responses. (Fcuk You FresNO Fameless)

For those of you who have defended Fresno in comments: Fcuk you, TOO. Here’s the fact … CSUF students are kinda dumb like this because it’s just Fresno … it’s not HARVARD. I keep saying this, yet some people JUST DON’T LISTEN!!! If you were Harvard quality (like my cousin from even more podunk Reedley getting a full-ride scholarship), you would be there. But, alas, you’re not, and you’re stuck here … so make the best of it. Might as well become FresYES, leave, and come back. (Not you Jessica, I’m on the same page w/ you on this point – leave and don’t come back.)

It’s called Brain Drain. I came back to school to finish what I started, and that’s that for Fresburg for me. My brain is drained just by being here and putting up with “dumb is as dumber does” culture. And I have no qualms with saying something against the (brainless) hometown-hoedown culture here. The only advantage to Fresno is its easy access to all significant areas of CA in 2-3 hours.

Jessica:
    WRITE ABOUT NEWS, NOT ABOUT YOU. I don’t care about you, your name, etc …
    Blockbuster article … okay
    Texting article … okay
    What’s in a name … NOBODY CARES
    KFSR video … Seriously, what’s the point of the question?
    You never stated a preface or premise for this question / prompt, and then only got a few people to comment (usually you might at least want to try and balance it out – maybe pull a stunt like walking INTO the studio and asking an on-air DJ if he listen’s to his own radio station)

You have to be creative to grab people’s attention (but not a fiction writer, like Gomes).

If you’re major is MCJ/Communications, or whatever, then write for your audience (it’s called learning). If you want to write in a journal, or for therapy … do that … start a blog, or post your frustrations on MySuck. I read The Collegian as a break from the daily grind. I got into the habit last semester, and now I’m stuck with it — and some lame-ducks this semester. Hopefully the experience helps w/ next semester.

The first part of this article was okay. The last part sucked (the ending where you leave your readers with your summarized thoughts). You left personal “Opinions” that no one cares about. If, on the other hand, you were to make some interesting one-line observations as “Opinions” about the stupid nature of the FresnoFamous post, that would have gone further than your personal life cr@p. Go figure.

“How is this worthy of print?â€Â
    So maybe BEFORE publishing something (actually wasting paper or electrons), this question should be asked if something is NEWSWORTHY!!!

I actually e-mailed and asked (if this person hasn’t already shared or discussed it w/ the office) my favorite remaining Collegian author about such “lame-duck” articles coming out of The Collegian. I figure it’s for lack of experience, or lack of caring.

If you look at my comments on the ASI / CSSA funding / budget issues, I didn’t take issue with the writer who WROTE something NEWSWORTHY. It didn’t even occur to me. That’s good writing.

I also don’t interpret the Collegian as a “creative writing” class in which to “swerve through traffic stealthy while on my goddm@n cellphone in violation and protest of laws I don’t like.”

It’s nice to have something to pick-up and read that’s not the Fresno Bee. It’s nice to hear campus voices speaking about campus matters. I don’t care about you all that much. Your opinion on a campus matter might interest me though.

Oh, and let’s not forget that you have used at least one of your co-workers, at least once, in your “CampusSpeak” episodes … and you KNOW you can do better.

If you don’t like the criticism, I think you have any of a number of options:
    1.) You can just brush it off as a learning experience … and write opinions on matters that matter for students and the school, for the school newspaper, and leave your personal writing in your journal or personal blog.
    2.) Reach over the counter and smack me if you don’t like my words (IF you know who I am).
    3.) Improve.
    4.) Tuck Tail & Run for a different major.

>> “in Fresno because the atmosphere suffocates creativity, passion and kindness.”
    TRUE

>> “I hate Dane Cook still for his crater-face, the material he has stolen, and the movies he has ruined.”
    I don’t know Dane Cook, but if I were as spiteful as you sound, I’d hate you for ruining what was a more interesting CSUF News Source last semester (Not the Jessica-centric paper of this semester). This is a statement of fact / preference on your part.

>> “I had so much fun attending my first strip club a couple of months ago that I keep trying to convince my guy friends to take me again.”
    ??? AGAIN: NOBODY CARES ???
    This is not an “Opinion.” This is a statement of fact / preference. It is like begging for more attention via attempting to entice readers personal to you (not for GA).
    (FYI: It’s just a phase; you’re behind the 8-ball Ms. I’m going to graduate next semester.)

>> “I think pirates are cooler than ninjas. They function while drunk and sail the seven seas.”
    This is an opinion.
    Who cares?

Why don’t you stick to your day/night job? You’re much more entertaining when you’re bantering w/ your co-workers as if nobody is in the store (says a lot for me, eh?); but as irritating when you’re whining and complaining about something to them. (Ever notice how nobody likes or appreciates whiners / complainers.)

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Dec 9, 2008 at 8:53 am

Jessica:
    Blockbuster article … okay
    Texting article … okay
    What’s in a name … NOBODY CARES

“How is this worthy of print?”

3.) Improve.

TRUE

??? AGAIN: NOBODY CARES ???

This is an opinion.
    Who cares?

Jessica:
    Blockbuster article … okay
    Texting article … okay
    What’s in a name … NOBODY CARES

“How is this worthy of print?”

3.) Improve.

TRUE

??? AGAIN: NOBODY CARES ???

This is an opinion.
    Who cares?

• H

Harold Brown-Beaver, OBGYNDec 8, 2008 at 11:58 pm

We students who don’t have the talent to write for a college newspaper want a higher-quality product. I believe it was 2005 or 2006 when Collegian staffers were adament about having their level of funding drastically (and suspiciously) increased. And this is what we have received for voting in favor of those funding increases: A paper that lacks originality, recycled opinion pieces, More debates about Fresno State joining the Mountain West, some hopeful grad students waxing poetic about their personal turmoil in considering grad school applications——note to prospective professional journalists!——-Do research, conduct interviews, get out of your personal topic of interest comfort zone, and quit with the gobbledegook articles. Many of you are receiving a stipend for your contributions——the students of CSU Fresno demand more that many of you Collegian staff writers are giving them. I see some exceptions, but many of you soon to be professional journalists are placing worthless junk in my beloved campus paper. Jessica, I’d stick to the core MCJ classes before you hop on the high horse and demean those who have greater expectations from your paper.

• H

Harold Brown-Beaver, OBGYNDec 9, 2008 at 6:58 am

• H

jenniferDec 8, 2008 at 11:25 pm

I don’t blame you for wanting to leave Fresno thats for sure.I call this place crap town.The benefit of attending school in Fresno however is good because its cheaper than in other locations.Other than that I say hit the road after graduation because there are much better places to live than this.Good luck to your future.

jenniferDec 9, 2008 at 6:25 am

jenniferDec 9, 2008 at 6:25 am

juniorDec 8, 2008 at 9:11 am

Whatever,
    Have an opinion? Join MCJ-105 or write a letter to the editor. Otherwise, find your own outlet. Maybe a nice blog will suit you somewhere.

juniorDec 8, 2008 at 4:11 pm

Whatever,

juniorDec 8, 2008 at 4:11 pm

Whatever,

Cord WillisDec 7, 2008 at 10:56 pm

I Agree with you this atmosphere in Fresno is suffocating, people in the Fresno area for the most part aren’t open to new ideas. I can’t tell you about all of the times I’ve been verbally assaulted because of my clothes and I’ve even been thrown eggs at in Fresno by strangers.
    I plan on getting out of here after college as well.

Cord WillisDec 8, 2008 at 5:56 am

Cord WillisDec 8, 2008 at 5:56 am

whateverDec 5, 2008 at 4:59 pm

Oh no, negative comments! welcome to the Internet.

And you’re in for it if you think the rest of the country/world is somehow better on the Internet than Fresno. Good luck getting out of town and getting a good job today though.

And those might be on the OPINION section but that doesn’t mean it’s worth reading! We all have opinions and outlets, and what makes yours so much more relevant?

I hate when people hide behind the OPINION thing so much.

Look, we all know this is for students to learn how to produce a newspaper, so they should be given some slack. But the Internet is really making things weird for media because the people commenting on stories often know more about the topic than the writers. News publications need to make sure to stay relevant and valuable.

Also, journalism isn’t much of a high-paid profession, so that has something to do with it too.

What a world!

I agree the Fresno Famous thing was lame. But “man on the street” interviews are kind of lame. Then again, sometimes it’s good to see what the general public thinks. Fresno Famous was just looking to complain about Fresno in a seemingly constructive way, by saying how lame all those North-side college students are. Weak!

whateverDec 5, 2008 at 11:59 pm

What a world!

whateverDec 5, 2008 at 11:59 pm

What a world!

juniorDec 5, 2008 at 12:23 pm

Famous,
    You must not believe that it is the job of The Collegian to encourage the discussion about that disconnect since your post reads “Note to The Collegian: Quit talking to students. You’re making your school look dumb.”

juniorDec 5, 2008 at 7:23 pm

Famous,

juniorDec 5, 2008 at 7:23 pm

Famous,

• F

FamousDec 5, 2008 at 11:56 am

Take things personal much?
    I guess if you read the post literally, you’d get the impression I was blaming you singularly (or as a couple, or however you do your video thing), for making students look dumb. But I think I called out The Collegian as an institution, and mostly I was being snarky. That’s how blogs work, welcome to the game. I realize you’re just the messenger in this and that you’re just doing your job. If you re-read the Famous post (and the comments) you’ll see the comments about the video were really a gateway to a larger discussion about the disconnect between Fresno State students and the cultural vibrancy of the rest of city, which is more than you should expect people to get out of one post, huh?
    Anyway…
    Sorry?

• F

FamousDec 5, 2008 at 6:56 pm

Take things personal much?
    Anyway…
    Sorry?

• F

FamousDec 5, 2008 at 6:56 pm

Take things personal much?
    Anyway…
    Sorry?

seniorDec 5, 2008 at 10:48 am

“I graduate next semester and have absolutely no idea what I’m doing afterwards but I know for sure it will not be in Fresno because the atmosphere suffocates creativity, passion and kindness.”
    Obviously this is your bait, so I’ll snap. From reading your work, if you think leaving Fresno will allow your creativity to flow, let me be the one to buy you a Greyhound bus ticket. But only after I take you to the titty bar.

seniorDec 5, 2008 at 5:48 pm

seniorDec 5, 2008 at 5:48 pm

juniorDec 5, 2008 at 9:14 am

Well said. I’m getting out of this town too.

juniorDec 5, 2008 at 4:14 pm

juniorDec 5, 2008 at 4:14 pm