Student money debated

Student association not funded for ‘08-‘09 school year

Fresno State student government leaders have disagreed on how to put student money to work in making the campus̢۪ voice heard at the statewide level.

At the campus level, the differences in opinion and approach have led to up-and-down spending in the Associated Students Inc. (ASI) budget. At the state level, the differences have led to uncertainty about Fresno State̢۪s role in lobbying lawmakers in Sacramento.

According to an analysis by The Collegian of the past five ASI budgets, expenditures for participation in the California State Student Association (CSSA) have varied widely. CSSA is an organization that advocates for student representation within state government; its goal is to unify the voice of more than 400,000 CSU students.

From 2001 to 2004, ASI paid dues and attended CSSA meetings. For the 2004-05 school year, ASI pulled dues but continued to attend meetings. ASI revaluated its decision and decided to again pay dues and attend meetings again from 2006 to 2008. For the current 2008-09 school year, ASI decided against paying dues or attending meetings.

When Fresno State pays its CSSA membership dues and participates, the campus̢۪ voice is directly heard and its vote is counted. If Fresno State does not pay dues it is still represented on a broad level, because CSSA lobbies for the entire CSU system. However, the campus does not have a direct vote in what the group lobbies for.

Multiple ASI sources justify the pulling of dues, saying that CSSA has been ineffective in its mission. Also, they say that because Fresno State has traditionally had a strong presence in CSSA, the school̢۪s opinions still carry significance even when Fresno State isn̢۪t directly paying dues.

Russel Statham, last year̢۪s ASI vice president of finance, said that because student fees are always a big concern, ASI consistently questions whether it is using that money appropriately.

“For this year we ultimately decided if it’s not worth spending dues on, it’s not worth spending money traveling to attend the meetings,â€Â Statham said.

Budgets reveal fluctuation

As ASI̢۪s involvement with CSSA has gone up and down, so has the funding allocated for participation. Here is a summary of recent ASI expenditures on CSSA membership dues, meeting attendance and lobbying efforts:

̢ۢ In 2001-02, $12,660
̢ۢ In 2002-03, $8,989
̢ۢ In 2003-04, not available
̢ۢ In 2004-05, $9,547
̢ۢ In 2005-06, not available
̢ۢ In 2006-07, $18,278
̢ۢ In 2007-08, $15,819
̢ۢ Allocated for 2008-09, $0

At a meeting in April 2008, ASI approved the 2008-09 budget that it is currently operating under. This budget did not include funds for membership in CSSA or travel for ASI executives to CSSA meetings.

According to Statham, the only money for CSSA that was approved for the 2008-09 year was travel costs for the director of university affairs to attend CSSA meetings and then report happenings to the ASI president and senate. Statham said the budget did not include funds for ASI executives or other staff to attend and did not include any travel, lodging or meeting registration.

ASI̢۪s internal disagreement about the value of CSSA membership was illustrated this past summer when former ASI President Mackee M. Mason decided to attend CSSA meetings.

In an interview with The Collegian, Mason said that he believed ASI still needed to carry out lobbying efforts and have a presence in CSSA.

“It was up to this year’s administration to decide how they were going to do that,â€Â he said. Mason said the funding for his trips to CSSA meetings this summer came from ASI’s general travel fund.

But Statham, who wrote the current budget, disagreed. He said that there were no specific entitlements for use of the general travel money, as it was discussed in April, and that there was no intention to use those funds to attend CSSA meetings.

Pulled Dues

Statham and others said that ASI had previously decided to decrease its involvement with CSSA because it didn’t agree with aspects of the organization. “It’s been pretty rocky,â€Â Statham said of ASI’s relationship with CSSA.

Statham said ASI thought that CSSA had internal political and structural issues that needed mending before Fresno State paid its dues.

“I think the mission is a very valuable one and the organization has an important purpose but there is a lot of reform needed before it will become effective,â€Â Statham said.

Statham said ASI saw problems last spring within several areas of CSSA, including the organization̢۪s financial management, professionalism and administration.

“All of those factors come together to make you question how much money and resources CSSA is really worth it,â€Â Statham said. “We decided [last spring] that the direction CSSA was going, it just wasn’t worth it anymore.â€Â

CSSA Board of Directors Chair Tim Snyder said he thinks pulling dues is a poor choice of campus leaders.

“If you feel there is something that is not perfect with an organization, pulling dues does not help solve that problem,â€Â he said.

Snyder said now is an important time for students to advocate for their education.

“The mission of the CSU is to provide an accessible and affordable education for students in California and the goal of CSSA is to fight for and protect what is important to those students,â€Â he said.

Fresno State is not the only campus to pull dues. Eleven other campuses — including Long Beach, Fullerton and Bakersfield — have taken the same action.

Snyder said that although some campuses have legitimate reasons for pulling dues, other campuses̢۪ reasons are petty. He said campuses do not present concrete objectives and often cite problems without suggestions to fix them.

Because of pulled dues, CSSA is now short on funds. It is understaffed and does not have the resources to improve the organization.

“The quality of service that we provide has been reduced,â€Â Snyder said. “We have cut back on travel. I don’t even have business cards anymore.â€Â

But Snyder also made the point that without adequate financial resources from the member campuses, CSSA will be unable to effectively do what the campuses want, creating a cycle. “It just replicates,â€Â he said.

Discussions of compromise

Recently, current ASI President Graham Wahlberg decided to attend a CSSA board of trustees meeting Nov. 14 in Long Beach. Representatives from all 23 campuses were present to discuss pulled dues from various campuses and to try and come to a compromise.

Snyder said the group̢۪s goal is to look beyond its recent difficulties and continue to carry out its mission.

Wahlberg said a lot of positive collaboration took place and many campuses are considering coming back to the table if certain conditions are met.

“If ASI does decide to pay dues or attend meetings, we will make sure our voices are heard,â€Â Wahlberg said. “We will make sure past issues are dealt with before moving forward.â€Â

Although paying dues to CSSA gives Fresno State the right to vote at the monthly meetings, both the current and past vice presidents of finance said that they feel Fresno State was receiving the same benefits whether it paid dues or not.

Current VP of Finance Lauren Johnson said: “Basically you’re paying for your right to vote.â€Â

Statham said: “In principle, it makes a lot of sense to contribute to CSSA. But we are being represented whether we contribute or not.â€Â

$100
$500

$100
$500

• I

InterestingDec 10, 2008 at 1:31 am

Its funny that you all just disregard the fact that the current president is jet setting all over california, yet you all are so worried about jello shots that chancelor reed is taking. If you’re so concerned about students money, why aren’t you asking about that?

What’s really funny is that some of you where quick to comment about other presidents, but not about this one? I wonder why??

• I

InterestingDec 10, 2008 at 8:31 am

• I

InterestingDec 10, 2008 at 8:31 am

Jared HarperDec 10, 2008 at 12:54 am

Ben….. i was just spewing random things, i meant it in the context that if there is uncertainty on funding CSSA and our current pres flew down to long beach, where money can be saved, that location just popped into my mind. The recent raises that reed gave to CSU presidents after thier meeting in long beach leads me to believe they dont care about students. I can just imagine those old fat cats doing nothing more after their meetings but probably spending taxpayer money so lavishly. It seems to trickle down to the student leaders dont it? I wouldnt doubt if Reed has his own company card that he can spend freely on the burdens of taxpayers.

Its not a fact just a fixation of my twisted imagination. But doesnt it sound familiar ?

Jared HarperDec 10, 2008 at 7:54 am

Jared HarperDec 10, 2008 at 7:54 am

BenDec 10, 2008 at 12:32 am

Jared, what was with that Chancellor Reed and jell-o shots comment? Is that a fact or are your just spewing random things to appear more dramatic?

BenDec 10, 2008 at 7:32 am

BenDec 10, 2008 at 7:32 am

Jared HarperDec 9, 2008 at 9:35 pm

Hmm flew down to Long Beach. Oh im sure more students are watching we just wait until its right time. But the whole alcohol incident is lame. We gotta stop thinking about the use of funds to buy alcohol, i think the argument was that the substance free pledge was broken, they contributed to minors consuming alcohol and whos to say there wasnt? Arent they still in court figuring all that out?

Jared HarperDec 10, 2008 at 4:35 am

Jared HarperDec 10, 2008 at 4:35 am

texsDec 9, 2008 at 5:05 pm

I think pulling funds is not a good idea and would instead see Fresno state take initiative and try to get the other school back to the table. This was what i had understood Mackee was trying to do before the whole drama unfolded. If this happened students will have a great lobbying tool in a time when California is cutting the budget. One thing i have learned in school is that if an organization does not have anyone lobbying for him they get the short in of the stick or in this case a reduction in money for students.

PS- there was no student funds used to by underage individual alcohol in the previous administration. Plus from what i hear is that our new pres flew down to the meeting instead of driving which would have cost the students about two hundred dollars less. I wonder if anyone is watching these new administrators as closely as they did with Mackee.

texsDec 10, 2008 at 12:05 am

texsDec 10, 2008 at 12:05 am

dwDec 9, 2008 at 3:31 pm

Mr. Harper, hate to burst your bubble, but a parking permit only allows the holder to park on campus, space permitting. The university does not (or does not have to) guarantee a parking space to every permit holder. Matter of fact is, the university could decide to abolish student parking (there’s not a legal obligation for Fresno State to provide parking for students) and there’s not much students could do about it. The school provides student parking because it’s the right thing to do given the lack of off-campus parking.

dwDec 9, 2008 at 10:31 pm

dwDec 9, 2008 at 10:31 pm

Jared HarperDec 9, 2008 at 10:49 am

what DW? we dont have a right? Dang thanks for bursting our bubble. I just thought they were under obligation to provide us parking if we pay for a pass? According to the campus PD traffic ops website,

“Our goal is to provide you with safe and reliable access to our campus. We are dedicated to maintaining accessible, attractive and safe parking facilities.

Our objective is to manage parking resources efficiently, emphasizing customer service, so that students, faculty, staff and visitors are able to park without difficulty and lawfully”

So if we payed for a pass, isnt the campus LEGALLY obliged to provide campus parking? Or are you being silly sarcastic cause if you are i understand that cause parking is a joke, huh? did i say parking? is there such a thing on campus?

Jared HarperDec 9, 2008 at 5:49 pm

Jared HarperDec 9, 2008 at 5:49 pm

dwDec 9, 2008 at 10:42 am

“Right” to parking?

What “right” to parking! There isn’t any. You children have an over-inflated notion of what constitutes a “right.” The university is under no legal obligation (other than being a good neighbor) to provide on-campus parking to students.

dwDec 9, 2008 at 5:42 pm

“Right” to parking?

dwDec 9, 2008 at 5:42 pm

“Right” to parking?

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Dec 9, 2008 at 2:37 am

If we’re going to talk about “Master Plans” — I could care less about parking, but I want to know where I’m going to be eating between classes since half of our food sources will be torn down / in-remodel soon enough.

Research:
    They should keep the “order-it-online, pick-it-up” desk open w/ the new library. I like this arrangement (except when they can’t find sh*t in their own collection — makes me want to do their job for them). I feel like I’m the only one who’s had this problem (I’ve been asking), but I’m sure there are others. Every time, thus far, what I found online, that they initially told me was not in their collection – was.

Parking:
    You think Admin cares? They’re selling our lot space to Fashion Fair employees before the end of our semester (from something else I read). No, it doesn’t matter that I paid my fees first, and that I’m a student … FF is probably paying Welty on the side with free Visa Giftcards for the season for allowing this kind of infraction of the Student’s right to parking.

So whatever parking you think might open-up when the Library is complete … think again … it will be sold to the next highest bidder.

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Dec 9, 2008 at 9:37 am

Research:

Parking:

Research:

Parking:

Jared HarperDec 9, 2008 at 2:27 am

True, true, true, If there is anything i learned these years at Fresno State is how to do my research without having to step into that waste of money new library. One person actually wrote an opinion promising us that it will be worth the wait. The only worth the wait is that it will actually be done and Yellow and Green parking will be back a bit.

Who the hell but the current admin would think of a stupid construction plan, much less the parking.

JENNIFER your right on. We need more online library access to more journals and articles. I cant help but notice that ASI does not have a vested time or consideration to question the campus Master Plans and say “hay wait a minute” what about what really counts?
    But i also see how easy it is to forget about campus issues when your busy drinking jell-o shots with CSSA members in Long Beach. ( you know chancellor Reed buys everyone a round on him, actually im sure he puts it on his “taxpayers of california” funded credit card)
    Go figure.

Jared HarperDec 9, 2008 at 9:27 am

Go figure.

Jared HarperDec 9, 2008 at 9:27 am

Go figure.

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Dec 8, 2008 at 11:23 pm

I’m split half and half. If CSSA is ineffective at lobbying for students with any and all legal powers that be, what is the point in any campus continuing to fund it’s efforts. On the flip-side to this, if it were to disband, nobody wanted to participate for lack of effectual action, eventually campuses would get together again to lobby when things went from “this sucks” to hell.

Based on conflicting “views” between last year’s CSUF ASI president, Statham, and this year’s failure, Mason … I tend to lean toward paying dues, and allocating for at least one member of ASI to attend CSSA functions (and decide in advance which best suit our long-term direction) … this way that option is available to the next administration (if we have a new ASI president next school year 09-10). If we decide not to participate, the worst we can do is re-allocate the funds during the new administration to what matters to the new direction. (Maybe I’m wrong on this latter point; but if I saw funds going to a better purpose than sitting around drinking in Long Beach, I’d violate that rule to see the $$$ go to CSUF students.)

This also highlights the unfortunate nature of a revolving presidency, and different administrations choose to run things. How often does CSUF see a 2-term ASI president (longer watchmanship = better long-term goals / accomplishments). What’s the point of a new face if the new face doesn’t have enough time to do anything but 1.) get with the program (fast), and 2.) keep watch. Is there time to actually accomplish something … like participating in CSSA and helping rebuild it to the 1970’s status (powerful)?

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Dec 9, 2008 at 6:23 am

jenniferDec 8, 2008 at 10:57 pm

Jared Harper I agree 100% about what you said about the parking.I mean come on how smart was that to spend money on some covered parking spots that cost a fortune to get anyway.I mean come on 250bucks to get one of those spots give me a break.How many students can afford that.It would have made way more sense to build a multi level parking structure ( kinda like river park has) then to build what they did. stupid. Then there is the new library that was built, and it may look nice but seriously how many students are going to use the library these days. Students don’t go to the library they do all their research online.It would of made more sense to create an online library.I don’t think that was money well spent either although a different issue altogether i guess.The point is they need to think before they spend.

jenniferDec 9, 2008 at 5:57 am

jenniferDec 9, 2008 at 5:57 am

Jared HarperDec 8, 2008 at 10:05 pm

That was uncalled for BONE CRUSHER, but it was hella funny. Whos to say though that our money isnt funding underage drinking at CSSA meetings as well, id actually like to see our money go to better things like parking structures, WITHOUT RAISING FEES, and i cant stress that enough. Those numbskulls at ASI should be able to do it without supporting fee increases. They f'”ed up when they suported some dumb shade with solar panels. They couldnt have thought to do a 2 story parking structure and then solar panels on top? What were they thinking!!!

Jared HarperDec 9, 2008 at 5:05 am

Jared HarperDec 9, 2008 at 5:05 am

BonecrusherDec 8, 2008 at 8:21 pm

as long as my money isn’t going to fund underage drinking for CSUF students at Anaheim-area hotels, cool.

BonecrusherDec 9, 2008 at 3:21 am

BonecrusherDec 9, 2008 at 3:21 am

Marc CohenDec 8, 2008 at 4:08 pm

Know what I think? I think we need to be told what the heck is CSSA thats what i think?
    How many other organizations does ASI waste student money on that we have no idea who or what they are. That is what i think.

I never heard of CSSA until this article.

Marc CohenDec 8, 2008 at 11:08 pm

Marc CohenDec 8, 2008 at 11:08 pm

broke bulldogerDec 8, 2008 at 3:00 pm

I think every student should be allowed to pull their funds out of ASI!!

This article is amazing it strikes questions that need to be answered. How does the budget not have it to provide funding for CSSA travel this year yet the former ASI president went to those events?

If statham belives we dont contribute to CSSA we are still represented then, then how do you justify governing an ASI organization where students pay into (not a choice) but yet voices are rarely heard?

GRAHAM wht do you think ?

broke bulldogerDec 8, 2008 at 10:00 pm

GRAHAM wht do you think ?

broke bulldogerDec 8, 2008 at 10:00 pm

GRAHAM wht do you think ?

juniorDec 8, 2008 at 10:16 am

I think if 11 other campuses pulled their dues, then somethings up with CSSA. I mean, if Statham, who was in CSSA, doesn’t think it’s worth it, then maybe it does have some issues to work out. But I agree with Graham that those issues need to be dealt with before Fresno State gives em another go. We need to nip this ineptitude in the bud.

juniorDec 8, 2008 at 5:16 pm

juniorDec 8, 2008 at 5:16 pm

• G

GrahamDec 8, 2008 at 9:49 am

So what does the student body think?

• G

GrahamDec 8, 2008 at 4:49 pm

So what does the student body think?

• G

GrahamDec 8, 2008 at 4:49 pm

So what does the student body think?