More graduate blues

LIKE HEATHER, I̢۪VE BEEN HAVING MY OWN set of awful grad school experiences. Unlike her, mine don̢۪t have much to do with applications at this point. And, my problems are happening right here on our very own campus.

Sometime last year, I decided that I would try to do my master̢۪s degree here at Fresno State before trying to apply for doctoral programs in English literature. As this is my last semester as an undergraduate, I was hoping to start the program next semester.

The administration here must not think my idea is quite as good as I do, however, as they have thrown up just about every roadblock they possibly can to keep me from registering for classes next semester.

First came the advising holds, placed by one of my major departments, despite my having fulfilled those requirements several semesters ago.

After I took care of that, I had to convince the department of graduate something or other (PS, there are about 15 different “graduateâ€Â departments) that all they needed to do if they wanted my transcript was go around the corner.

Still, even after that was fixed, the school hasn̢۪t given me an enrollment appointment, and they don̢۪t seem to realize the deadline to pay for classes is Friday.

I kind of hate these people.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Brandon Santiago (Collegian Staff)Dec 3, 2008 at 9:48 pm

This article is opinion and it is about a subject some students face when it comes time to prepare for graduate school. It is intended to be a way to connect with our audience which is primarily a university or college audience, mostly comprised of students. Opinion is a section for our staffers and for our audience to have personal reflection, voice their concerns, and have discussions. This article did end up having impact, because once our Opinion editor voiced his concern about how the graduate department works he received a phone call from them saying they will now finally after all the unnecessary delays get the ball rolling on his enrollment. I am sure there is some student out there that has faced these similar situations, and maybe by putting this out there it will garner enough attention to help change the process and make things easier for students.

Brandon Santiago (Collegian StDec 4, 2008 at 4:48 am

• R

Rosie PalmsDec 3, 2008 at 9:32 pm

Again, how is this article worth space in the Collegian? Please increase your research and interviews, paid Collegian staffers.

• R

Rosie PalmsDec 4, 2008 at 4:32 am

• R

Rosie PalmsDec 4, 2008 at 4:32 am