Vigil supports gay rights

Juan Villa / The Collegian

Supporters of gay rights gathered Thursday night at the Wesley United Methodist Church in honor of overturning Prop. 8 at a “Vigil for Justice.â€Â

Supporters included Saul Barnett, 15, Loretta Kensinger, coordinator of women̢۪s studies dept., Kathy Adams, Ph.D., chair of communication dept., and Michelle Denbeste, history professor.

After listening to people speak against Prop. 8, the group walked to The Peace Garden at Fresno State.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• I

IWNov 24, 2009 at 3:58 pm

The people have spoken. That's the essense of democracy. Vigils, protests, and vandalism are really pointless after the votes have been tallied.

While it may not be fair to put the rights of a marginally popular minority up for a majority vote, California's need to have their voice respected. Move on a draft a new referendum.

I find the irony in this just profound. Higher minority turnout gung-ho for Barack Obama really put Prop 8 over the top. Black and Latino/Hispanic voters are much more conservative minded that we give them credit for. This is the flaw with modern liberalism—-it's a mish-mash of disconnected and often confrontational support of issues that are supposed meant to unify the middle-class, the working-class, the poor, and women, and nonwhites. Who's more oppressed? Women, blacks, gays, the poor, atheists, animals, illegal immigrants? Those who fall under the large liberal tent argue their self-serving positions and will be hard-pressed t fight for others. When Barack Obama said he wanted 'change', his minority supporters sure as hell didn't mean award gays more civil rights. So gay America, chalk it up to experience and thank Barack Obama on this one——his support among black America also passed Prop 8 in California. By the way……I'm a white federal government employee who leans socially left, economically and national defense right, voted for McCain, and voted No on Prop 8.

Our refusal to enforce immigration laws and watch the Latino population in California boom has some major reprocussions for California's socially tolerant mindset in the coming decades. The Catholicism isn't going away, nor are the five and six child families. Strength in numbers for a Democratic, yet religious Raza.

• I

IWNov 8, 2008 at 10:21 am

The people have spoken. That’s the essense of democracy. Vigils, protests, and vandalism are really pointless after the votes have been tallied.

While it may not be fair to put the rights of a marginally popular minority up for a majority vote, California’s need to have their voice respected. Move on a draft a new referendum.

I find the irony in this just profound. Higher minority turnout gung-ho for Barack Obama really put Prop 8 over the top. Black and Latino/Hispanic voters are much more conservative minded that we give them credit for. This is the flaw with modern liberalism—-it’s a mish-mash of disconnected and often confrontational support of issues that are supposed meant to unify the middle-class, the working-class, the poor, and women, and nonwhites. Who’s more oppressed? Women, blacks, gays, the poor, atheists, animals, illegal immigrants? Those who fall under the large liberal tent argue their self-serving positions and will be hard-pressed t fight for others. When Barack Obama said he wanted ‘change’, his minority supporters sure as hell didn’t mean award gays more civil rights. So gay America, chalk it up to experience and thank Barack Obama on this one——his support among black America also passed Prop 8 in California. By the way……I’m a white federal government employee who leans socially left, economically and national defense right, voted for McCain, and voted No on Prop 8.

Our refusal to enforce immigration laws and watch the Latino population in California boom has some major reprocussions for California’s socially tolerant mindset in the coming decades. The Catholicism isn’t going away, nor are the five and six child families. Strength in numbers for a Democratic, yet religious Raza.