Student campaigned for Obama

Ryan Tubongbanua/ The Collegian

Being an “Obama-girlâ€Â requires the utmost dedication and Obama-fanaticism.

“The only thing that I think makes me an Obama-girl is that I am a die-hard Obama supporter,â€Â Fresno State senior, Kathleen Gonzalez, said. “I gave up Halloween, I didn’t even get dressed up.â€Â

Gonzalez took five days off from school and work, including Halloween, to campaign for president-elect Barack Obama in Colorado.

“I got sponsored to travel to Colorado, there was no way I could have afforded the trip,â€Â Gonzalez said. “Nancy Levi donated her frequent flyer miles through a program designed to help the Obama campaign.â€Â

Initially, those miles were being saved up so that Levi̢۪s daughter could go to one of the swing states and campaign for Obama.

“She chose to give them to me because maybe I reminded her of her late daughter who died,â€Â Gonzalez said.

Once in Colorado, Gonzalez stayed with other Obama supporters who had offered their homes to house those helping with the campaign.

“There were about 200 people, none of them from Colorado,â€Â Gonzalez said. “Among them there was this 17-year-old girl from England who flew out to Colorado to help with the campaign. This girl couldn’t even vote, but there she was helping.â€Â

Her tasks while in Colorado included making banners, getting packets together for other volunteers and going door-to-door campaigning.

“We would ask who they were voting for. If they were undecided we would ask if there was anything we could do to help them decide,â€Â Gonzalez said. “Sometimes they would let us in and talk to them, but it wasn’t always that simple.â€Â

On a daily basis she would knock on about 125 doors. According to Gonzalez, “Colorado isn’t like California where people are more liberal. I was walking in neighborhoods were the K.K.K. started and where they were still very conservative.â€Â

“On one occasion some man yelled at me, ‘you are a sucker for that man,’ and I thought it was kind of funny,â€Â Gonzalez said. “But another time my partner and I had to call to be picked up because there was this man on a bike circling us and making eye contact with me, making it clear that he was watching me.â€Â

She added that although at first she was a Hillary Clinton supporter, after hearing her speak, she changed her mind because she felt it was time for a change.

“She had already been the first lady and after the whole Clinton thing it was time for something new. I mean Barack is already being compared with F.D.R.,â€Â she said. “When I first saw Michelle and Barack I thought, we have not ever seen that kind of love. She is a strong woman, you can see they respect each other.â€Â

“When he won we all started bawling. I didn’t want to be too optimistic because of the Bradley effect,â€Â she said. “At midnight, hours after he had won, people were still honking their horns and celebrating. It was all worth it. I had the best time of my life.â€Â

Although Barack Obama won the presidential election, Gonzalez is well aware that not everyone voted for him and not everyone is happy with him.

“You always have to stand by your president and Barack Obama is a natural born leader. Have faith,â€Â Gonzalez said.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Jessie TamerhaakNov 25, 2008 at 6:34 pm

too much time on his hands? Aren’t you the one that flew out of state to take part in something as trivial as a presidential election? Individuals don’t make an impact in national elections—–corporate sponsors do. pockets of Colorado are much more liiberal than places like Fresno and Visalia. Individuals impact politics locally. You could have been involved with anti-Prop 8 efforts here in your home state. I’ll buy the Obama hype when the guy follows through on his promises. The ambiguous language and ‘ums’ and ‘uhhs’ are getting old and making him sound like a certain current president. I hope he succeeds because few individuals can match what he has been built up to be. He’s been touted as a second coming of Christ.

Jessie TamerhaakNov 26, 2008 at 1:34 am

• K

Kathleen GonzalsNov 25, 2008 at 1:48 pm

Hi all!
    First and foremost I would like to say that I was sadly misquoted. I never said K.K.K. and conservative in the same sentence. Clarification: I canvassed mostly in Longmont,CO this is where the K.K.K. had meetings in the 60’s. The town has always been a red county until this last election! I am proud of all of our hard work out there! In regards to the Bradly effect being a myth..well, it’s not a myth it is a fact that when Tom Bradley lost the 1982 race for California Governor people left exit polls saying they voted for him, when in fact they didn’t. Also, for the record I am not an Obama FANATIC! That is what bothered me most. I know that he will bring the change we need in America! Not only is he a brilliant man, he realizes that unity within, community, states, and America is necessary in order to change the direction we are going now. Ghandi Gonzo, you have too much time on your hands. Respectfully, Kathleen Gonzales

• K

Kathleen GonzalsNov 25, 2008 at 8:48 pm

Hi all!

• G

Gandhi GonzoNov 16, 2008 at 11:46 pm

Okay Pat and Marissa…….I’m guessing you were NOT among the many California liberals upset that Utah Mormons crashed the state of California and worked for the passage of Prop. 8……….really no difference here. Out of staters influencing elections they themselves can’t vote in. If you praise her effort, you should really have no claim to protesting the Church of Latter Day Saints for what they did in the weeks before that fateful day.

Instead of praising her, we should wonder if taxpayers subsidizing her education are happy she took a full week off. Get back to class, you young wippersnapper.

• G

Gandhi GonzoNov 17, 2008 at 6:46 am

• G

Gandhi GonzoNov 16, 2008 at 11:39 pm

This Kathleen witch managed to insult conservatives and the great state of Colorado in one sentence. ‘Where the K.K.K. started? ‘More conservative than California?’ She is a sadly uninformed individual. Especially buying into the Bradley effect myth which has no merit whatsoever.

• G

Gandhi GonzoNov 17, 2008 at 6:39 am

Marissa CabusasNov 16, 2008 at 8:19 pm

Hearing stories like this really makes me feel great about my generation today. These last years, more young people have become involved with politics and the affects. I too voted for Obama, and I hope he follows through with what he has promised.

Marissa CabusasNov 17, 2008 at 3:19 am

• P

Pat MurrayNov 14, 2008 at 9:58 am

Nice story! Kathleen Gonzalez is an inspiration. Obama’s win took a lot of hard work from a lot of people. It’s great that Kathleen gave up her time for such a worthy cause. Thanks for helping turn Colorado blue!

With Obama as our new president, it finally feels like there is hope again to turn the nation around and get on the right track.

• P

Pat MurrayNov 14, 2008 at 4:58 pm