SOME POST-ELECTION PUNDITRY

Mathew: One of the best parts of Election Day is all the free stuff you get for voting. I claimed several free coffees from Starbucks today. I didn’t make it out to Ben and Jerry’s, but God knows if I could have, I would have gobbled up about an extra 1400 calories in a cholesterol-laden heartbeat. Really though, the best part is how bad my man Barack Obama kicked John McCain’s ass. I’m going to take a nod from the Sports section and try something they’ve been doing for years — a joint column.

With that, I̢۪m going to pass this along to my (unfortunately) conservative coworker and columnist Heather Billings, where she̢۪ll tell you all about what it̢۪s like to back a losing presidential candidate.

Heather: I voted for McCain because someday, when I make my millions in journalism, I̢۪d like to be able to keep my money instead of paying it out to Matt̢۪s jobless English-major self. (No wonder he̢۪s taking advantage of as many freebies as possible.) Eventually, when I have a 401k, I don̢۪t want it seized to keep Social Security afloat.

However, I can see some good coming from Obama̢۪s being elected. For instance, justifying the continuation of the affirmative action dinosaur is now almost impossible. It seems pretty clear that racial prejudice is no longer enough of an issue to justify special treatment of minorities. Nebraska agrees with me, having passed a ban on racial-based affirmative action by a 55 percent vote just last night.

It continually amazes me that college students, the notoriously rebellious lot they are, want the government to dictate their every move. I̢۪m the old-fashioned kind of soul who wants to be free to spend my life and money the way I want to.

That̢۪s why I̢۪m a conservative.

Mathew: And I̢۪m the kind of soul who really doesn̢۪t believe in money, except when I̢۪m using it to solve other people̢۪s problems.

Seriously, though, while I̢۪m glad about Obama̢۪s victory (and I can definitely see some good coming out of it like, say, having a president who can pronounce words with more than three syllables), I̢۪m a little disheartened to see my other various liberal causes struggling.

I should have expected Henry Perea̢۪s loss to Ashley Swearengin, and really I did. Still, I suspect she̢۪ll make a better mayor than Alan Autry if she can manage to make the trek to downtown Fresno, a drive that proved too daunting for Mayor Autry on most days, evidently. Heather, I know you hail from Squaw Valley, but I̢۪m wondering how you think Fresno̢۪s new mayor̢۪s going to fare.

Heather: I like how this format has turned into you interrogating me. Remind me to play hardball next time.

Swearengin seems to have a passion for Fresno that can only serve her well. In an interview she did with The Collegian last semester, she was quoted as saying, “I love Fresno; I never want to move.â€Â She seems dedicated to renovating the Tower District and downtown. And she has what I think are solid ideas for improving our police force’s effectiveness.

Not being able to actually vote for Fresno̢۪s mayor, I̢۪ve concentrated most of my attention on the statewide propositions. I̢۪m glad that at the moment, most of the big-budget propositions seem to be losing, with the exception of high-speed rail. Maybe Californians are more saavy about economics than I gave them credit for, even if, like you, Matt, they̢۪re the kind of souls that don̢۪t believe in money.

Mathew: Looks like you̢۪re going to get the last word on this one.

MATHEW GOMES & HEATHER BILLINGS

$100
$500

$100
$500

juniorNov 5, 2008 at 11:58 am

I don’t know what you’re talking about Heather. Those were some pretty good comebacks.

juniorNov 5, 2008 at 6:58 pm

• H

Heather BillingsNov 5, 2008 at 2:24 am

The Collegian Staff Comment

This is what happens when the editor doesn’t let you see the final copy.

• H

Heather BillingsNov 5, 2008 at 9:24 am

The Collegian Staff Comment