Help for Valley̢۪s children

The Central California Children̢۪s Institute (CCCI) at Fresno State has recently named Dr. Cassandra Joubert as its new director. The institute̢۪s main focus is to develop strategies to improve the overall well-being of children and families living within the San Joaquin Valley.

The institute was established in 2000 as part of the Center of Health and Human Services. Focusing on the Central Valley̢۪s eight districts, the institute tries to make change by means of connecting its faculty with the community̢۪s health concerns. Its goal is to spark research into finding solutions while getting students involved with the process.

According to Joubert, many often mistake the institute for a child care center or one that offers direct help and service.

“Our primary activity is advocacy and being a voice for children, we don’t provide direct service,â€Â Joubert said.

This advocacy typically comes in the form of resources and grant funds.

John Capitman, administrator of the Central Valley Health Policy Institute, is a firm supporter of Joubert in her new role as director.

“We’re tremendously excited to have Cassandra Joubert join Fresno State,â€Â Capitman said.

Joubert̢۪s prior experience in the field of health includes her previous role as the vice president of the Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan in Detroit. As well, she has been a key figure in the foundation̢۪s community investment plans. She also held a top position at the Ruth Mott Foundation, which also deals with community betterment.

Joubert̢۪s experience in the area of children̢۪s health includes a prominent position at the Mott Children̢۪s Health Center in Flint, Mich. She attended Howard University where she earned a bachelor̢۪s degree in psychology and child development. She went on to get a doctorate in science in maternal and child health from John Hopkins University.

Joubert is currently campaigning to identify major child-related issues in the Central Valley and develop strategies to make a positive change.

“The first step is to find out what Valley residents really care about,â€Â Joubert said.

The CCCI has enlisted the help of several community organizations to carry out their multi-step plan to improve Valley conditions. This will be done by conducting a telephone survey with 1,600 residents within the Valley̢۪s districts. The survey will be used to find out what current and future issues are on the minds of Valley parents.

“I don’t think there will be any surprise in terms of the issues, but there will be surprise in how people think the university can solve them,â€Â Joubert said.

Joubert mentioned some common health issues that plague the community including poverty, teen pregnancy, teen substance abuse and poor academic achievement.

Capitman said this change is urgent for the Valley̢۪s youth.

“There’s great evidence that children and families in the valley aren’t being supported like they are in other areas in the country,â€Â Capitman said.

According to Joubert, the second step will be to work closely with local organizations and develop possible strategies to make change. The selected organizations will then work on the issues at hand, with funding from the institute.

“This will not be university led,â€Â Joubert said. “In terms of the issues, it is community-driven.â€Â

The third and final step to the campaign will be a focus meeting held in February of 2009 with the institute̢۪s members and all the groups involved. The meeting will serve as a discussion and panel on how well the campaign went and what was learned overall.