Evans gives Bulldogs something to be happy about following loss

It came a day after Halloween for Fresno State, but the Bulldogs found their next Batman.

This season, Fresno State has missed former Bulldog running back Clifton Smith, who was a spark to the Bulldogs̢۪ offense in 2007, but is now playing on Sundays.

Smith began calling himself Batman in high school because of his love for the super hero, but the nickname stuck because of his extraordinary ability on the field.

Rashad Evans may never refer to himself by a super hero̢۪s name, but the true freshman is ready to be the key to Fresno State̢۪s offensive imagination and return game.

The Bulldogs̢۪ offense has been stagnant at times this season, missing the creativity and versatility of Smith. On top of giving defensive coordinators ulcers, Smith is also the all-time leader in punt returns at Fresno State.

Smith did it all for the Bulldogs and not having his fire and personality in the lineup has cost the Bulldogs the ability to run the type of plays that turn linebackers cross-eyed.

After Evans̢۪ breakout performance in the loss to Louisiana Tech, the Bulldog offense has some hope for scaring defenses again.

Evans had his first career touchdown on a 56-yard punt return.

On the return, Evans split defenders and accelerated to the corner leaving all other 21 Bulldogs on the field in the dust. The play was a flash from the near past for Fresno State.

While the play was Evans̢۪ most memorable on the day, he did the little things.

Evans returned another punt for 35 yards that set up Fresno State̢۪s first touchdown on the day. He gambled on the return, fielding the punt with defenders in his face and nowhere to go but backwards.
But like a super hero, he somehow made it work.

On the final drive of the game, Evans made a 16-yard catch that set up a Bear Pascoe touchdown to bring Fresno within three. Evans was absolutely crushed at the same time the ball arrived.

Of course, he held on.

Evans even lined up at quarterback, the he was playing last season at James Logan High in San Jose.
For the first time since Smith graduated, a player besides Tom Brandstater lined up at the quarterback position. It was only a few yards on the gain, but it kept the defense guessing, something that Fresno State hasn̢۪t been able to do much this season.

Evans adds a new dimension to the Fresno State offense and special teams. He can return punts, line up anywhere but right guard on the offense and makes plays in space.

The Bulldogs and their fans have been waiting all year for that sequel – “Batman Returns.â€Â Pat Hill would be willing to pay $10.25 to see that show on Friday night.