Bulldogs head to Bakersfield

Juan Villa / The Collegian

Last year the women̢۪s basketball team won the regular season WAC title, WAC Tournament title and advanced to the NCAA Tournament for the first time in the program̢۪s 43-year history.

In the preseason this year, the Bulldogs have picked up right where they left off with decisive wins over Fresno Pacific, 74-57, and Melbourne Roos, 76-51.

“We have looked really good on offense,â€Â coach Adrian Wiggins said. “However, we have to play much better defense and get out and pressure better.â€Â

The team will look to build off its recent success as they tip-off the regular season tonight against Cal State Bakersfield. Last season the Bulldogs blew out the Road Runners at home 93-50.

“We did beat them pretty bad last time,â€Â Wiggins said. “I’m sure they’ll look to rebound from last year’s loss which should make for a good game.â€Â

While the returning players have been solid in preseason, Wiggins says point guard LaShay Fears has been a pleasant surprise.

“She had to sit out last season due to NCAA transfer rules,â€Â Wiggins said. “I knew LaShay was talented but she’s shown me a lot early on.â€Â

With a few new faces and the departure of a couple key players from last season̢۪s team, Wiggins says he̢۪ll look to two specific seniors for leadership.

“We will look to LaToya Brown and Bailey Amundsen,â€Â Wiggins said. “However, offensively we have many players we can turn to.â€Â

In the preseason polls, the Bulldogs were picked second in the WAC behind Boise State and both Ross and Munro were named to the preseason All-WAC team.

Ross says she is anxious to get the season underway.

“I can’t wait to get out in front of our crowd,â€Â Ross said. “It’s a rivalry type of game with Bakersfield being so close, and should be real competitive.â€Â

The Bulldogs will look to get out on the perimeter and carry over the momentum from the preseason into the season opener at Cal State Bakersfield tonight at 7 p.m.