Yoshi Now — making thrift shops cool

Ryan Tubongbanua / The Collegian

Where you can find ̢۪70s style shirts, robot toys, and street signs for home decor

When it comes down to a regular day in downtown Fresno, thrift stores are a common sight.

But Yoshi Now, a cross between a thrift store and an antique shop, redefines the shopping experience.

The store, which is ran in a “mom and popâ€Â manner, is currently in its fourth year and is still going strong. A majority of the products include retro and vintage items from the ’50s,’60s and ’70s.

Everything from furniture to toys and clothing can be found at the shop.

“In a typical day of thrift store shopping, you have to pick out all the good stuff. We do that for you,â€Â said Shannon Johnson, clerk at Yoshi Now. “Because this is like a museum, people come to look for their childhood.â€Â

The store is owned and ran by Yoshi Toi, whom Johnson referred to as “The Indiana Jones of Junk.â€Â

Toi is responsible for finding the majority of the items that are sold. According to Johnson, Toi will visit almost every kind of place, including yard sales, to find items for his store.

The store is known for carrying out-of-the-ordinary items such as a working skee ball machine that was just recently sold.

“There’s been so many random items sold,â€Â Johnson said. “But I’ll say the most random was the gynecological exam table with stirrups.â€Â

The colorful murals on the outside walls of the store draw attention and make it clear that it̢۪s not just another store.

“I didn’t even know this place existed until we just passed by,â€Â said Nicki, a first time shopper.

While looking at small sculptures of doves she mentioned how her mother collected such items. “This place brings back memories.â€Â

Ryan Tubongbanua / The Collegian

The store appeals to a diverse group of customers.

“We have young kids buying stuff for their dorms,â€Â Johnson explained. “But we also get people from other countries like Japan and England that are looking for things to sell in their own stores.â€Â

Yoshi Now also brings back regular customers, such as Brian Kenney, a local musician and contributor to Yoshi Now’s collection of items. “This place represents a downtown counterculture renaissance that isn’t happening anywhere else and is really just a super nova of cool stuff,â€Â said Kenney.

“The other thrift stores don’t have the sheer amount of stuff or sense of community that this place does,â€Â Kenney said. “I love the events that they do here.â€Â

One such event was the Fall Flea Market last Saturday. Free booths were provided for anyone who was looking to sell their old stuff and enjoy live music.

Yoshi Now̢۪s staff strives to support the local community by means of such events. The store also promotes and sells merchandise for local bands and artists, like Kenney, and Fresno̢۪s own roller derby team, The Smog City Roller Grrrls.

YOSHI NOW

Are you interested in visiting Yoshi Now or taking part in future events?

Visit their store at 648 S. Broadway, or visit their MySpace.