Theft in Speech Arts

Illustration by Patrick Tran / The Collegian

Faculty laptops and an iPod have been stolen

The Speech Arts Building on campus has been the main target for recent computer theft.

On Sept. 24, around 1 a.m., there was a report of a suspicious male adult in the building. He as been described to be approximately 5ʼ10â€Â 160lbs with short black hair. No race has been reported yet.

So far only equipment belonging to faculty have been taken. Four laptops and one iPod have been stolen from four different faculty offices.

Mass communication and journalism assistant professor Kelley Campos McCoy was one victim of the theft.

“My university-issued MacBook Pro was taken from off my desk,â€Â McCoy said. “ I lost everything I had not backed up during the past three weeks, including lectures.â€Â

McCoy said the theft was a huge loss. She found out through a phone call from a colleague that her laptop had been stolen.

McCoy lost lectures, classroom materials and all of her personal files along with the laptop. It will take her many hours to reconstruct everything.

“I was numb. Now I am furious,â€Â McCoy said. “I am also overwhelmed by all the work I have to recreate.â€Â

Adjusting to the recent events has even caused some classes to be canceled.

“My teacher had to cancel class due to her belongings being stolen because she lost three weeks worth of work,â€Â Krystelle Barbosa, a junior art history major, said.

Each faculty member who had been affected ï¬Âled reports of theft with campus security immediately when items were discovered missing.

“From the Theatre Department, two laptops and electronic equipment such as a digital camera and iPod were taken,â€Â said Melissa Gibson, PhD, chair of the theatre arts department.

Gibson was not personally targeted, but professors in her department and building were.

Amy Armstrong, public information officer for the Campus Police, was not able to comment on the events at this time citing that the matter was still under investigation.

Since the events, faculty have been told to take home laptops and any other small devices at night. Jose Diaz, DMA, associate dean, informed his department of the issue.

“As an administrator for the College of Arts and Humanities, it was important to alert other faculty and staff from our college,â€Â Diaz said.

Gibson agreed and said precautions are being taken.

“They have been instructed to double check that their office doors are closed tightly and locked when they leave their office at any time,â€Â Gibson said.

The offices from which these items were stolen were locked. How the suspect got in is unknown.

Campus Police ask that everyone be on the look-out for any suspicious activity and to notify them immediately.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• K

Ken WestinOct 1, 2008 at 2:00 am

If someone from campus security, or IT would like to contact us we would like to donate a few licenses of our software in case this happens again. GadgetTrak ( http://www.gadgettrak.com ) provides theft recovery and data protection software for mobile devices including laptops, mobile phones, iPods and more.

• K

Ken WestinOct 1, 2008 at 9:00 am