THE ONE-FINGER SALUTE

Thumbs up to Kevin Goessling, whose last minute 58-yard field goal against Utah State on Saturday saved the Bulldogs from losing yet another game they should̢۪ve hardly had to play to win. His record-saving kick is probably enough to absolve him of his past mistakes, at least in our minds.

Thumbs down to the rest of the Bulldog football team, who didn̢۪t do much to help Goessling out in Saturday night̢۪s game.

Thumbs up to candy corn — right now. We love it around Halloween time, and the fact that it’s only readily available during the fall seems to make the treat even more valuable to us when we see it in stores. Of course, we usually end up eating enough that we don’t want to see it again for another 11 months.

Thumbs down to the exorbitant costs of Halloween costumes. Sure, you might argue that it̢۪s a holiday designed for seven year-old children, but we college students like to celebrate too, and more likely than not, we don̢۪t have our parents to pay for our attire anymore. We wish the costs were lower, but we suppose $125 an outfit is just the price to pay for being young, wild and hip.

Thumbs up to root beer floats, and whoever invented them. Who could have known that all you needed was vanilla ice cream to transform a glass of root beer into a culinary masterpiece?

“The One-Finger Saluteâ€Â is culled each week from discussions in The Collegian newsroom.