THE ONE-FINGER SALUTE

Thumbs up to the Fresno State football team. Good effort, guys!

Thumbs up to Fresno State ice cream, available at a variety of places around campus, including the USU snack bar and the Rue and Gwen Gibson Farm Market, on Chestnut and Barstow. The ice cream is one of our favorite late afternoon snacks — especially on Mondays — and unlike the football team, we can always count on it being good.

Thumbs down to the traffic on Shaw Avenue during peak hours, which often serves to block off entrances to campus. Plus, there̢۪s really nothing worse than sitting in the same spot for 15 minutes, especially when the road is full of disappointed fans.

Thumbs up to Sean Kingston and Baby Bash, who played a show at the Paul Paul Theater at the Fresno Fair on Saturday night. From what we̢۪ve heard about the options, it was probably the best place to be on Saturday night.

Thumbs down to the new law that will outlaw texting while driving, which will mark a second major shift in the driving culture of students. First you take away talking and driving, then you take away an outside shot at a BCS bowl and a potential WAC championship, and then our texting? What will we have left?

Thumbs up to second chances. Unfortunately, in most cases, including football games, you don̢۪t get them.

“The One-Finger Saluteâ€Â is culled each week from discussions in The Collegian newsroom.

$100
$500

$100
$500

BELLAOct 12, 2008 at 6:32 pm

I WAS AT BASH AND KINGSTON CONCERT, AMAZING!! U HAD TO BE THERE TO EXPERIENCE THE ONENESS OF THE CONCERT, ALONG WITH A SURPRISE GUEST, NAMED FRANKI J!!!!!

BELLAOct 13, 2008 at 1:32 am