Students encourage votes

The time has come once again to put on the bumper stickers and the gloves. It’s time to turn the channel from ESPN to CNN. Well, maybe not. But it is time for Americans to exercise their patriotic duty — it’s time to register and vote.

Students for Barack Obama and The College Republicans are doing their part to make sure students turn out at the polls. Both organizations are tabling in the Free Speech Area to educate and inform students about the Nov. 4 election, as well as get them registered to vote.

“The youth vote is the fastest growing bloc. Students have registered for this election in large numbers, and they hold the key to many battleground state elections,â€Â said Pedro Ramirez, chairman of Students for Barack Obama and president of The College Democrats. “If students get out and educate themselves about the issues and then vote, I believe we can make a significant impact in this and future elections.â€Â

Besides tabling on campus, both organizations are taking their campaign to the streets and beyond.
Students for Barack Obama took a trip to battleground state Nevada on Oct. 17-19, and will be holding a rally on campus Nov. 3.

The College Republicans, along with The Sunbird Conservatives, presented “A Night Out with Victor Davis Hansonâ€Â at The Convention Center on Oct. 23. Hanson, a former Fresno State classics professor, discussed the 2008 election and U.S. foreign policy.

They will also be hosting a McCain-Palin Rally Walk throughout Fresno every Sunday up until Election Day.

College Republicans̢۪ President, Carly Hammond, said she became active in politics after the Sept. 11 attacks in order to keep her and future generations safe. Whether voting Republican or Democrat, Hammond encourages students to educate themselves in order to make an informed decision.

“It is important that students become involved because this will affect their future in many different ways,â€Â Hammond said. “Voting is the most important way citizens can participate in the political process.â€Â

The Associated Student Inc. (ASI), along with the Jan and Bud Richter Center, launched the “Why 1509?â€Â campaign earlier in the semester to get students registered to vote and to educate them about the election and how to become a smart voter. The goal of the campaign was to get 1,509 students registered by Oct. 20, which is the registration deadline in California.

“We need to take part,â€Â Sarait Martinez, ASI senator-at-large, said. “Students need to be more involved because everything affects us; not only in the presidential elections, but the propositions too. It’s important because everything comes back to us.â€Â

Like the name of the campaign, many students have been asking, but “why 1509?â€Â That number may not make sense as a whole. However, Martinez said each number has significance. Unfortunately, students will have to continue asking themselves that question. The significance of “1509â€Â will not be revealed until shortly before the Nov. 4 election.

Dalitso Ruwe, USU Productions̢۪ point and music scene coordinator, is not able to vote in the election because he is an international student. However, he believes it is important to vote and remains active in making sure those who are eligible to register and vote do so.

“Change doesn’t start in D.C. or our state capitol,â€Â Ruwe said. “It starts with a single voter being concerned about the direction of their community, and how these policies on the ballot affect them and the rest of the country.â€Â

The presidential election taking place this year will mark a first in U.S. history. The outcome will result in the United States̢۪ first African-American president, or first female vice-president. Along with the presidential election, the races and propositions at the local and state level will have a large impact as well.

“Your vote matters. Not only to the candidates, but everyone you know, because collectively we can make a difference,â€Â Ruwe said.