Softball coach speaks against violence

The annual Take Back the Night event will continue the tradition of spreading domestic violence awareness tonight at Fresno State. The event is free and open to the public and will begin at 6:00 p.m. in the Free Speech Area.

Free parking can be found in Lots G & D near the dorms. This year̢۪s event will stand out from other years in that it will feature more entertainment. The night will consist of speeches, poetry, music, an information table, a candlelight vigil, a group march, demonstrations of the different types of abuse and an open mic portion.

Groups such as Amnesty International, the Marjaree Mason Center and Planned Parenthood Marmonte will be participating and providing information.

Take Back the Night was the first event to focus on violence against women and began internationally in the late ‘70s. Fresno State began taking part in the event in 1978. In recent years, the event has changed to include all forms of violence against both genders, but still keeps an emphasis on women.

“It is an empowering event for those who have been affected by violence. It helps them band together and literally — take back the night,â€Â said Jennifer Whyte, coordinator of the Women’s Resource Center and co-coordinator for the event.

Margie Wright, Fresno State Softball coach, will be one of the event̢۪s speakers. She will be speaking at the event for the second year in a row. Wright has always been a proponent of domestic violence awareness, but it really hit home when her sister̢۪s life was ended by an enraged husband following their divorce.

“It’s a life changing experience,â€Â said Wright. “I lost my best friend.â€Â

She̢۪s been asked to speak in recent years at the event regarding her own experience, but couldn̢۪t push herself into doing it until last year.

“It’s part of my responsibility and something my sister would want me to do,â€Â Wright said. “Someone needs to put a face on this horrible, horrible thing.â€Â

Wright said that as a coach, her responsibility to spread awareness is crucial.

“I deal with women every year that can be affected by it.â€Â Wright said, who is a source of comfort for her players when they have problems with their boyfriends. “It happens on this campus, it happens on every campus.â€Â

Wright said that the rate of domestic violence seems to be going up due to the declining state of the economy, as well as the need for boyfriends and husbands to feel like they have control over their spouse and what they do.

“The worst thing is for a person to not be able to be themselves,â€Â Wright said.

She also mentioned how important it is for friends and families to try and notice any signs of possible abuse. She added that because “women believe they can change someone for the better,â€Â they will often hide any signs. She said that the key is for them to “be honest about what is going on with their lives.â€Â

She stressed how important the event is as well as resources on campus such as the Women̢۪s Resource Center.

“There are so many way to get help, but when you are in the middle of it, you don’t know where to turn,â€Â Wright said.

One such source of help is the open mic segment that Take Back the Night features and closes with every year. It allows anyone with personal experience or thoughts on the matter to come up and share whatever they choose to.

“Occasionally someone walks up and talks about what’s going on with them, that’s powerful,â€Â Wright said. “A lot of people go because they feel it is the right thing to do. But, of all the people there, there’s at least one person that knows someone who’s going through it.â€Â