Run game vandalizes Idaho

Bryan Cole / The Collegian

FRESNO STATE BULLDOGS 45, IDAHO VANDALS 32

Fresno State picks up first home victory, evens conference record

Fresno State players and coaches talked all last week about getting that bitter taste out of their mouths following a 32-29 overtime loss last week to Hawaii.

The Bulldogs washed out that taste a little bit in front of 37,015 fans Saturday night with a 45-32 homecoming victory over the Idaho Vandals.

Fresno State didn̢۪t commit a turnover on offense this week after coughing up the ball six times last week against the Warriors.

With the victory, the Bulldogs evened up their Western Athletic Conference (WAC) record at 1-1 going into the bye week.

The Vandals came into Saturday night̢۪s contest as one of the worst teams in the nation, averaging about 19 points per game. Still, they were able to cut a 42-17 deficit in the fourth quarter with two consecutive scores to make it 42-32 and a little more interesting.

It took a big hit from Ikenna Ike to force an Idaho fumble with 3:52 left in the fourth to finally seal the deal for Fresno State.

The Vandals gained more total yards than the Bulldogs and converted 11 out of 17 times on third down.

Bryan Cole / The Collegian

“We definitely bring out the best of these teams that come to Bulldog Stadium,â€Â said coach Pat Hill.
“That Idaho team, I’ve got to give them credit, that’s the best I’ve seen them play all season.â€Â

The Fresno State running attack wasn̢۪t too shabby either.

For the second consecutive week, tailback Lonyae Miller set a new career-high in yards, with a 181-yard performance, highlighted by a 90-yard run on the first play from scrimmage with 9:06 left in the third quarter.

Sophomore Ryan Mathews rushed for 57 yards and a touchdown, while Anthony Harding picked up 94 yards on the ground.

The Bulldogs ran for more than 300 yards as a team for the second straight week.

“We just need to thank our O-line,â€Â Harding said. “We were just following them, they made us look good.â€Â

Miller and Harding both averaged more than 10 yards per carry against Idaho.

The duo emphasized how much the team and coaching staff preached ball security this past week at practice after the six turnovers against Hawaii.

Miller made a key fumble against the Warriors last week, but said he worked diligently at practice to make sure that didn̢۪t happen again.

“I just have to take every game one week at a time,â€Â Miller said. “I need to take advantage of every opportunity.â€Â

In the second quarter it looked as if Harding was going to have a touchdown, but he fumbled at the 2-yard line into the end zone.

Luckily for Harding, wide receiver Seyi Ajirotutu pounced on the ball for the score to give Fresno State a 14-3 lead.

“I told him, ‘you saved me,’â€Â Harding said.

It wasn̢۪t exactly the way Ajirotutu pictured his first collegiate touchdown, but he found the end zone in a different way at the end of the first half.

After dropping a pass, Ajirotutu made a 15-yard touchdown reception on a crossing route to put the Bulldogs up 21-10. The junior ended the night with three receptions for 29 yards.

Joseph Edgecomb / The Collegian

Ajirotutu̢۪s role in the offense this season has become more prominent than ever and he said that doesn̢۪t mean he automatically has to carry the whole team on his shoulders.

He may wear the same No. 2 that Bernard Berrian did, but he̢۪s not trying to be someone that he̢۪s not.

“I’m just trying to do my part like I did last year and help the team win,â€Â Ajirotutu said. “I’m not really trying to put pressure on myself like I’m the go-to guy or the big-play guy, just need to do my part.â€Â

After the bye week, Fresno State will begin a two-game road trip, starting Oct. 25 in Logan, Utah, to take on Utah State.

Last time the Bulldogs visited Utah State they lost 13-12, but beat the Aggies 38-27 last season at Bulldog Stadium.

Hill and several other players all said the bye week is very important for recovering from injuries and getting the team healthy for the stretch run.

“We’ve had six very demanding ballgames and we’re still in control of our own destiny,â€Â Hill said. “We need to win at Logan. It’s another must-win.â€Â

Collegian Players of the Game

Lonyae Miller
Offense

Ikenna Ike
Defense

Chastin West
Special Teams

The Collegian hands out its game balls following every Fresno State football game:

̢ۢ Offense: Tailback Lonyae Miller РFor the second straight week, Miller amassed a new career high in rushing yards with 181 against the Vandals. He had a 90-yard touchdown run as well.

̢ۢ Defense: Defensive end Ikenna Ike РThe senior lineman forced a fumble in the fourth quarter with Idaho threatening in Fresno State territory. He totaled five tackles and had two tackles for loss.

̢ۢ Special Teams: Punt returner Chastin West РWest̢۪s 46-yard return set up Fresno State inside the red zone and led to a Vince Pascoe touchdown catch.

Coming up next…

Fresno State is off this week with a bye. The Bulldogs̢۪ next game will be Oct. 25 in Logan, Utah, when they face off against the Utah State Aggies. Utah State is 1-5 on the season and will play at Nevada before hosting the Bulldogs.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• K

kpOct 13, 2008 at 11:02 am

First off, I don’t think that there were actually 37,015 fans in attendance on Saturday night, definitely not at the end. Thank you to everyone who stuck around until the very end of the game…you guys are the true fans.
    Congrats Bulldogs on the first home win of the season! Another great performance by the running game. Keep it up!
    In response to jacio’s comment, I actually think that if we want any chance at winning the WAC, we need Boise State to beat Hawaii. When we beat Boise State in the final game of the year on the Blue Turf, their beating of Hawaii will negate our loss to the Warriors. We just need to focus on winning the rest of the games, and we will be in great position to win at least a share of the WAC title, which should give us a national ranking at the end of the season.
    Congrats to Kevin Goessling. That FG took a lot of weight off his shoulders. The misses are behind you now, Kevin.
    And lastly, a tip for Coach Hill: mix in some long pass plays. You have the running game. Keep using it, but shake things up a little bit. Teams will be expecting it now. Brandstater has a good arm; let him use it. Throw deep down field early in the next game. Take hold of the momemtum early, and then pound them with the run game.
    My prediction for the next game: Dogs win 49-20.
    GO DOGS!!!!

• K

kpOct 13, 2008 at 6:02 pm

GO DOGS!!!!

• K

kpOct 13, 2008 at 6:02 pm

GO DOGS!!!!

wakoOct 13, 2008 at 9:00 am

Hoping for a 400 yard game where all three running backs get 100 yards plus with touchdowns. GO DOGS!!!!

wakoOct 13, 2008 at 4:00 pm

wakoOct 13, 2008 at 4:00 pm

jacioOct 13, 2008 at 8:59 am

Hawaii plays Boise this weekend. Lets hope an upset takes place. Hawaii played pretty well this weekend. We may have woken them up.

jacioOct 13, 2008 at 3:59 pm

jacioOct 13, 2008 at 3:59 pm