End in sight

Those who have recently driven by the intersection of Cedar and Shaw probably noticed the bright display of orange delineators, construction signs, huge construction equipment and the traffic congestion due to closed lanes. But soon it might all be gone — all except the traffic.

The construction on Cedar and Shaw, which is described by some Fresno State students as the place to “avoid at all cost,â€Â will finally be completed on Oct. 24.

Bryan Startz, a senior majoring in nursing, said he tries to avoid Cedar and Shaw because the construction adds time to his commute.

“Shaw is bad to begin with, but adding construction to it just kills me,â€Â Startz said.

The construction on Cedar and Shaw was supposed to be completed within the first few weeks of school, but was later postponed to be done by the Wisconsin game. Yet more than one month after the Wisconsin game, the construction on Cedar and Shaw still continues.

“We’ve been working for three and a half months; we still have two weeks left,â€Â John Taylor, American Paving foreman, said. “We’re just finishing up the corners.â€Â

The American Paving Co. moved the street curve back 12 to 13 feet and added another turn lane on northbound and southbound Cedar.

“The road widening is basically for when Fresno State has football games or events, to help traffic clear off on Cedar,â€Â Taylor said.

Signal Tech Foreman, John Salas, said, “Basically what we are doing is widening out the streets, removing old traffic signals and adding everything new.â€Â

The construction was scheduled to be completed within 65 working days from the notice to proceed, on June 30. The contract completion date was set for Sept. 30, 2008, Bill Herr, Construction Management and Chief Engineering Inspector, for the City of Fresno, said in an e-mail interview.

The construction was not finished before fall semester when football season began because funding was not available until April 2008, Herr said.

The City of Fresno was also required to advertise the bid for contractors, who had time requirements for: the number of days the project had to be out on bid, the number of days to rank and accept the bids, and the days for bid selection to be contested. American Paving Co. and Signal Technologies ended up winning the contract bid.

Construction was not completed on time because a number of problems were encountered during the process, Herr said.

“Those with the greatest impact were unstable soil composition, the unavailability of electrical components, and additionally the contractor was required to modify his schedule to accommodate weekend events at [Fresno State],â€Â Herr said.

Yet other problems also arose during the construction. Besides traffic, the contractors have also dealt with disobedient students.

“Besides us barricading and putting delineators, students still walk through,â€Â Salas said. “It’s for [the student’s] safety, but a lot of students still refuse to obey. If you take it upon yourself to go where there’s delineators, then if something happens to you, it’s your fault.â€Â

Although students and faculty have not spoken out, there are complaints about the construction.

“We get complaints all the time for our type of job, but so far none from students; they just ask, how much longer?â€Â Taylor said.

Maggie Simms, a senior majoring in sociology, said she seldom goes through Cedar and Shaw. “I try to avoid that area at all cost,â€Â Simms said.

Leeann Jansen, College of Arts and Humanities development director said, “There’s always traffic and congestion there, you just have to grin and bear it. With the construction, you have to plan on a little more time, an additional five or 10 minutes on top of the other time.â€Â

The traffic lights on Cedar and Shaw have been set on a longer timer during the construction to give more cars more time to pass through the streets with closed lanes. But many still choose to take alternate routes.

Sharon Vock, administrative assistant for the History Project, said it takes too long to get through traffic on Cedar.

“I’ve rerouted and I am taking Chestnut and Barstow because of the construction,â€Â Vock said.

Although traffic is currently congested on Cedar and Shaw, in two weeks the benefits of the construction will show by having improved traffic flow and pedestrian access through the entire intersection.

Next summer, those who commute through Barstow and Cedar might have to deal with traffic congestion or start looking for alternate routes again because the city plans to replace concrete drainage swales that cross the street from one corner to the other.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Oct 20, 2008 at 9:05 am

Um … “obey” ??? Since when were rules posted, or something put out in school news, or posted around campus NOT to use those areas, and considering traffic STILL goes through the intersection, I’d say students aren’t a problem … and if that, should have been anticipated. Student impact in relation to the bureaucracy which initially held it up, and age of the components and needing to add / relocate them, is NIL. This should be done already, and, yes, though I’ve yet to speak up to anyone, I’ve been thinking about it … this is carrying on way too long.

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Oct 20, 2008 at 4:05 pm

• G

gmOct 20, 2008 at 9:01 am

A typical bureacratic operation. There will be no accountability, just excuses for the ridiculous failure to get this done in timely manner. Just like Chestnut.

• G

gmOct 20, 2008 at 4:01 pm