Bulldogs back in pool for first time since 2004

Juan Villa / Collegian File Photo

Freshman Heidi Gjoen wins three events in first collegiate meet

The Fresno State swimming and diving team participated in its first meet since the termination of the program in 2004.

Because of budget cuts that year, the team was cut from the athletic department.

Now with a new coach, athletes and a new facility in the works, the swimming and diving team was back in action this weekend.

The Bulldogs lost to San Jose State, 198-80, and to UC Santa Cruz, 151-110, on Saturday in a three-team meet.

Freshman swimmer Heidi Gjoen won three events on her first day of collegiate swimming.

Gjoen won the 100 backstroke against both UC Santa Cruz and San Jose State. She also won the 200 backstroke against UC Santa Cruz.

Three other swimmers recorded wins in the first meet of the season.

Mary Tess Taylor won the 200 breaststroke against San Jose State. Jordan Morillo won in the 200 individual medley versus UC Santa Cruz and Stephanie Hatayama won the 100 butterfly against UC Santa Cruz.
Soccer
The Fresno State soccer team went 1-1 in its two Western Athletic Conference matches this weekend, defeating Louisiana Tech in double overtime Friday night and losing to Utah State Sunday afternoon.

Nicole Gutierrez broke a scoreless tie Friday night against the Lady Techsters with a goal in the second overtime period to give Fresno State a 1-0 victory.

Molly Nizzoli was credited with the assist, her second of the season.

Goalkeeper Kaitlyn Revel and the Bulldog defense recorded their third straight shutout.

The Bulldogs couldn̢۪t complete the weekend sweep though as they lost to the Utah State Aggies Sunday in Logan, Utah.

Utah State̢۪s Andrea Seledee scored a goal in the 39th minute and the lead stuck. Revel recorded six saves for Fresno State.

Gutierrez had three shots on goal and Nizzoli had one. Fresno State is now 2-1-1 in conference play and 6-8-2 overall.

The Bulldogs begin a two-game, weekend homestand this weekend. They will host Boise State on Friday night and Idaho on Sunday afternoon.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• I

IceMane7Oct 20, 2008 at 3:43 pm

who cares? where is our wrestling team?

• I

IceMane7Oct 20, 2008 at 10:43 pm

who cares? where is our wrestling team?