Bulldog Game Day

Bryan Cole / The Collegian

WEEK 7 PREVIEW

SATURDAY, OCT. 25, AT NOON, ROMNEY STADIUM (LOGAN, UTAH)

Fresno State Bulldogs (4-2, 1-1 WAC) at Utah State Aggies (1-6, 1-2 WAC)

TELEVISION: Bulldog Sports Network (COMCAST CHANNEL 13)

RADIO: KMJ-AM 580 AND KGST-AM 1600 (ESPN DEPORTES)

Breakdown: Bulldogs

The Bulldogs are coming off a bye week, and according to coach Pat Hill, the break could not have come at a better time.

Fresno State is missing key players all over the field and has used the bye to get healthy and prepare younger players for added playing time.

On the offensive side of the ball, the ̢۪Dogs are hoping tight end Bear Pascoe and wide receivers Marlon Moore and Devon Wylie will be back in action Saturday. Pascoe, Moore and Wylie have been absent for the past few games and may be healthy for the trip to Logan, Utah.

Quarterback Tom Brandstater will need to rely on emerging receiver Seyi Ajirotutu and backup tight end Isaac Kinter against the Aggies.

Sophomore linebacker Ben Jacobs and the experienced secondary will again lead the defense, but the line will be a question mark for the Bulldogs.

Defensive tackles Jon Monga and Wilson Ramos will likely not play against Utah State. True freshmen Logan Harrell and Chase McEntee will be called upon in what could be their first starts as Bulldogs.

Hopefully the ̢۪Dogs took advantage of extra time off.

Breakdown: Aggies

Fresno State̢۪s last trip to Logan, Utah, was definitely one to forget.

The Bulldogs lost 13-12 to the Utah State Aggies, giving the Aggies their only win in 2006.

That may have been the high point for coach Brent Guy in his four-year tenure at Utah State. Guy has a 7-35 record at Utah State.

Guy has taken the keys of the offense away from senior quarterback Sean Setzer and has handed the reigns to sophomore Diondre Borel.

Borel is a dual-threat at quarterback and leads the Aggies in both passing and rushing.

With the Aggies only averaging 3.4 yards per carry, Borel has given the offense a shot in the arm.

Borel has the ability to throw the deep ball and can also run the option.

Defensively, the Aggies allow 39.4 points per game, which is the second-worst in the conference.
One of the few bright spots is linebacker Jake Hutton.

Hutton is sixth in the WAC with 8.1 tackles per game and has 57 total tackles to lead the team.

Utah State has revamped its facilities substantially this season, but no amount of makeup has been able to cover up the Aggies on the field this season.

Courtesy of USU Athletic Media Relations

Looking in on Logan…

Utah State Player to Watch:
Jake Hutton, Linebacker
Win against: Idaho
Losses to: UNLV, Oregon, Utah, BYU, San Jose State, Nevada
Head coach: Brent Guy (Fourth season, 7-35)
Offense: Multiple
Defense: Multiple
Key players: QB Diondre Borel, WR Otis Nelson, S Caleb Taylor, RB Robert Turbin, CB Kejon Murphy
Series record: Fresno State leads 20-18-1
Last meeting: Fresno State won 38-27 last season at Bulldog Stadium
Point Spread: Fresno State favored by 16.5 points.

Keys to Victory

1. Throw for over 300 yards.
The Bulldog running attack has been consistently strong this season, but Brandstater has not had a 300-yard game in 2008.

2. Don̢۪t let Borel loose.
Utah State̢۪s quarterback Diondre Borel is a big running threat. The Bulldogs have had trouble with running quarterbacks and need to contain the sophomore to be successful.

3. Be road warriors.
Fresno State is 3-0 away from Bulldog Stadium this season.

Bryan Cole / The Collegian

Position matchups

Fresno State Player to Watch:
Seyi Ajirotutu, Wide Receiver

When Fresno State runs:
Advantage – Fresno State
The Bulldogs̢۪ three tailbacks, Ryan Mathews, Lonyae Miller and Anthony Harding are all in the Top 10 in conference for rushing yards per game.

When Utah State runs:
Advantage – Fresno State
The Aggies only average 3.4 yards per carry. Their top rusher, quarterback Diondre Borel, averages 50 yards per game.

When Fresno State passes:
Advantage – Fresno State
Opponents are averaging more than 250 yards per game in the air against the Aggies. Brandstater should have a strong showing.

When Utah State passes:
Advantage – Fresno State
Utah State has had inconsistency at the quarterback position, which has led to only 186 yards per game in the air.

Special teams:
Advantage – Utah State
Rashad Evans is getting his first start at punt returner and kicker Kevin Goessling is still gaining back his confidence. Bulldogs haven̢۪t had a complete game on special teams yet this season.

By Jimmy Graben and Logan Hopkins