Bulldog Game Day

Bryan Cole / The Collegian

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 11, AT 7 P.M., BULLDOG STADIUM

Fresno State Bulldogs (3-2, 0-1 WAC) vs. Idaho Vandals (1-5, 0-2 WAC)

TELEVISION: Bulldog Sports Network (COMCAST CHANNEL 13) RADIO: KMJ-AM 580 AND KGST-AM 1600 (ESPN DEPORTES)

Breakdown: Bulldogs

With the loss to Hawaii, the Bulldogs̢۪ outlook has changed for the remainder of the season and dashed hopes of a Bowl Championship Series (BCS) game.

Now the Bulldogs must focus on winning the Western Athletic Conference (WAC). The first step toward winning the conference is wining their homecoming game against Idaho.

The Bulldogs are now 3-2 on the season and 0-1 in the WAC, but according to coach Pat Hill, Fresno State will be right back in the conference race with a win tomorrow.

The coaching staff has been stressing ball security this week following a six-turnover game against Hawaii.

Tom Brandstater had four turnovers in the game and will look to improve this week.

Tailback Ryan Mathews has been back at practice, but Anthony Harding and Lonyae Miller have proved they can be sufficient backups at the position.

For the defense, linebacker Ben Jacobs has controlled games this season and has racked up 42 tackles, one fumble recovery for a touchdown and one blocked kick.

The Bulldogs will be playing for their first home win and hope to not disappoint, especially on homecoming.

Breakdown: Vandals

Rob Akey’s first 18 games with the Idaho Vandals haven’t exactly gone to plan — he’s 2-16 with the no wins against Football Bowl Subdivision opponents.

But don̢۪t̢۪ expect a 33.5-point underdog Idaho team to play like that Saturday at Bulldog Stadium.

After Fresno State̢۪s loss to Hawaii, the Vandals are looking to be the second straight team to upset the Bulldogs.

The Idaho offense is anchored by tailback Deonté Jackson, who ranked second in the conference in rushing last season.

Jackson has 352 yards rushing in 2008 with two touchdowns, averaging 4.6 yards per carry.

Quarterback Nathan Enderle ranks second in the WAC with nine touchdown passes and has thrown for 1,051 yards.

His favorite target, senior H-back Eddie Williams, leads the Vandals with 500 yards receiving and five touchdown grabs.

Defensively, look for free safety Virdell Larkins to cause some havoc in the secondary. He leads Idaho and ranks ninth in the WAC with 46 total tackles.

Idaho is becoming a doormat in the conference, but as fans saw last weekend, anything can happen on a Saturday in college football.

Photo courtesy of Idaho Media Relations

Statistics from the Spud State…

Idaho Player to Watch:
Deonté Jackson, Tailback

Wins against:
Idaho State (42-27)

Losses to: Arizona (70-0), Western Michigan (51-28), Utah State (42-17), San Diego State (45-17), Nevada (49-14)

Head coach: Rob Akey (Second season, 2-16)

Offense: Multiple

Defense: Multiple

Key players: QB Nathan Enderle, H-Back Eddie Williams, FS Virdell Larkins

Series record: Fresno State leads 6-4

Last meeting: The Bulldogs won, 37-24, in Moscow, Idaho.

Point Spread: Fresno State is favored by 33.5 points.

Keys to Victory

1. Sure up the special teams.
What was once a strength for the Bulldogs has become a glaring weakness. Fresno State needs to improve here if they hope to rebound this week.

2. Hold on to the football.
Fresno State turned the ball over six times against Hawaii, resulting in 20 of the Warriors̢۪ points. The Bulldogs need to protect the ball to win football games.

3. Win back the RED WAVE.
The Bulldogs are 0-2 at home this season. Fresno State needs to instill some faith back in its fanbase.

Juan Villa / The Collegian

Position match ups

Fresno State Player to Watch:
Tom Brandstater, Quarterback

When Fresno State runs:
Advantage – Fresno State
Anthony Harding and Lonyae Miller combined for more than 300 yards last weekend. With Ryan Mathews back the running game should be in full force this week.

When Idaho runs:
Advantage – Idaho
Deonté Jackson is an explosive tailback and the Vandals average more than 100 yards rushing per game.

When Fresno State passes:
Advantage – Fresno State
Tom Brandstater had a sloppy performance against Hawaii last weekend, but Idaho surrenders 286 yards in the air per game.

When Idaho passes:
Advantage – Fresno State
The Vandals̢۪ offense has not been able to flourish with the passing game. Nathan Enderle has thrown seven interceptions.

Special teams:
Advantage – Idaho
The Bulldogs have not proven that they can dominate this facet of the game. Fresno State surrendered a kickoff return for a touchdown last weekend and kicker Kevin Goessling missed three field goals.

By Jimmy Graben and Logan Hopkins / The Collegian

$100
$500

$100
$500

jackowackoOct 10, 2008 at 8:04 am

Go dogs!!! Win big. Lets win the WAC this year.

jackowackoOct 10, 2008 at 3:04 pm

jackowackoOct 10, 2008 at 3:04 pm