Bruce Springsteen rocks the vote — for Obama

David Swanson / McClatchy Tribune

Bruce Springsteen had pounded through his second song as though his acoustic guitar were a pickax, then handed it off to an assistant. The rocker in rolled-up plaid sleeves slung another guitar over his shoulder and tossed out a raspy line that made clear to the thousands on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway how he feels about Barack Obama.

“We tried this four years ago,â€Â said Springsteen, who held concerts for then-Democratic nominee John Kerry and headlined Saturday’s get-out-the-vote rally for Obama in Philadelphia’s Center City. “This time, we’re winning.â€Â

Though organized by the Obama campaign in just a few days, the concert, at 20th and the Parkway, drew an estimated 50,000 people. According to Obama staff, it also added 21,000 new ground troops to the Illinois senator̢۪s campaign effort in must-win Pennsylvania.

The Democratic presidential candidate̢۪s potent ground operation was on display up and down the Parkway, with volunteers at almost every turn collecting personal information about concertgoers and doling out voter-registration forms.

The goal was to increase registration in the state by tomorrow̢۪s deadline while luring new volunteers as the campaign enters.

Springsteen was scheduled to hold similar shows Sunday in Ohio and tomorrow in Michigan _ two other critical states in the Nov. 4 election.

Some McCain supporters also were in force to see the much-adored rocker from the Jersey Shore. They watched from peripheral areas where registration was not required but, in some cases, provided a better view.

Rendell made a strong appeal for undecided voters to swing toward Obama. His full-throated pleas were carried over two large video screens that lined the Parkway.

Many showed up early to volunteer at the event, some diligently listening to training sessions, others snagging a close-up view, others questioning the the volunteers who snagged close-up views

Although the major intent of the rally was to register voters, Dawn Trunfio, 28, an Obama volunteer, said she had only found 10 people who needed the forms. “Most are already registered,â€Â she said.
Springsteen was the clear draw, despite unfounded rumors that Obama might make a surprise appearance.

As his set progressed, Springsteen dialed back the music and amped up the political commentary, saying the nation was like a house that had fallen into disrepair, but that Obama could help rebuild.

“I don’t know about you, but I want my house back. I want my America back, and I want my country back,â€Â Springsteen said before playing a song inspired by 9/11, “The Rising.â€Â

Some in the crowd had rolled the dice on Obama̢۪s showing up. It was a twist on the Springsteen-fan ritual of going to the Stone Pony in Asbury Park, N.J., for a show and hoping the Boss might make a surprise appearance, as he sometimes does.

“We were hoping to see the man … Obama,â€Â said Abigail Milder, who biked over from South Philly with her husband and daughter. “We were hoping for the big intro.â€Â

Cindy Warkow, 46, of Dresher, sold her three daughters on the event by holding out hope of an Obama surprise. “They’re like, ‘Who’s Springsteen?’”

By Maria Panaritis, Melissa Dribben and Amy S. Rosenberg / McClatchy Tribune