Boise wins don̢۪t instill much confidence

Nhat V. Meyer / McClatchy Tribune

SAN JOSE – Boise State is still undefeated, but the Broncos are far from perfect.

In what is becoming a consistent refrain for this bunch, Boise State managed another victory, this time against a game San Jose State unit, with a less-than-stellar performance.

The final score 33-16 will look impressive enough, as Boise State tacked on 10 points in the final six minutes as it pulled away. But Boise State has more things left to work on than any undefeated team in the nation.

At 7-0, the Broncos are more than halfway to their third undefeated regular season in five years. But, outside of their 49-7 pasting of Idaho State in the opener, the Broncos have yet to put a complete game together, a “Wowâ€Â game.

The type, unfortunately in this college football system, you need to impress the voters who decide where to rank teams and, as a result, what bowl game programs get invited to.

At 7-0, do you give the Broncos credit for finding ways to win without their “Aâ€Â game? Or do you start to wonder if these Broncos will ever truly figure it out?

The Broncos that appeared on ESPN2 on Friday night were not the confident, swaggering, point-scoring team that they̢۪ve been in the past. This team felt much more uncertain, seemingly sweating out each drive offensive and defensive. You almost had to remind yourself that Boise State never trailed in the game.

Nhat V. Meyer / McClatchy Tribune

Some will be able to chalk it up to San Jose, the Broncos̢۪ personal purgatory, where undefeated seasons of 2004 and 2006 nearly ended. Chalk it up to something about the sod at Spartan Stadium.

Except this seems to be Boise State̢۪s norm this year, flashes of potential followed by head-shaking signs of futility.

Friday night was no different.

The Broncos had to be ecstatic about the hard-nosed running of tailback Jeremy Avery, who with 96 yards came oh-so-close to being the first Bronco to rush for 100 yards this season, and the amazing hands of wide receiver Austin Pettis, who secured six balls for 69 yards, including the Broncos̢۪ first touchdown.

They had to celebrate Ian Johnson̢۪s two rushing touchdowns and several huge blitz pick-ups. But Johnson might have had the record earlier, he now has 51 career rushing touchdowns, had he not fumbled on the goalline in the second quarter, a play that helped allow San Jose State hang around into the fourth quarter.

The Spartans handed out yellow t-shirts to the first 5,000 fans in attendance, and attracted one of their largest crowds ever. There is no truth to the rumor they handed extra yellow flags to the officials.

Boise State was flagged 11 times for 100 yards. San Jose State picked up 11 for 101 yards. The Broncos had two long returns negated by penalties in the kicking game. Safety Jeron Johnson picked up two personal fouls, including one on third down that sustained a San Jose State touchdown drive.

Freshman quarterback Kellen Moore, hit more in this game than in any game previously, threw an interception that was returned for a touchdown and fumbled after running the Broncos out of field goal range.

Despite holding San Jose State to 207 yards, 60 of it on one touchdown run, the Broncos couldn̢۪t put their foes away until late in the fourth quarter.

Through seven games most teams have crafted an identity. These Broncos have created theirs: A undefeated team that makes it harder on themselves, one that is often battling two opponents each week.

By Brian Murphy / McClatchy Tribune

$100
$500

$100
$500

• I

IceMane7Oct 30, 2008 at 10:30 am

Utah will be the team to crack the BCS if it’s gonna happen. Then again, if Tulsa can get past a very average Arkansas team and finish their slate undefeated, they should absolutely be playing in the Sugar or Fiesta. I’ll pull for Boise up until the FS game.

• I

IceMane7Oct 30, 2008 at 5:30 pm

BSU overratedOct 27, 2008 at 3:41 pm

just goes to show you what a pathetic conference the WAC is, making an overrated BSU look good even though they arent. BSU hasnt played anyone of note, including an overrated oregon team with a third string QB. wake me up when BSU plays anyone good, otherwise they will always been known as BYU version 2.0, or hawaii version 3.0 (following byu’s debacle).

BSU overratedOct 27, 2008 at 10:41 pm

• G

go broncosOct 27, 2008 at 1:59 pm

Thank you jacko and steve for your statements about what escapes everyone’s view of the BSU team this year. Here in Idaho, we have a dingdong writer (closet Vandal fan) at the Statesman doing the same, he just keeps hacking on BSU’s wins. We’re really tiring of reading these “Boise miraculously wins again” articles. They are winning e v e r y s i n g l e g a m e with a freakin’ 19 year old freshman who did not even have the job until just weeks before beating Oregon in Autzen! In August, Sporting News wrote that the toughest job in the non-BCS NCAA this year would be that of Bush Hamdan; Quarterback, Boise State. Ummm, check again Sporting News.

The O line is almost all frosh/soph kids. BSU pulled off this SJSU victory with one of their best lethal players (T. Young) benched as punishment by the coach for being boneheaded in an undisclosed manner. Injuries have also taken a couple key players, some out for the season. Luckily, the freshmen are stepping up! As we speak, BSU is number 3 in the nation for not allowing points. It’s been said by those far wiser than I that offense wins games, defense wins championships.

We’ll all just hope that if a good bowl game does end up in Boise’s lap, they do not embarrass the WAC with a Hawaii-like performance reminiscent of last year. I sat there rooting for Hawaii, and was really bummed it turned out so poorly. It’s going to be tough to repeat that amazing Oklahoma upset of 2007 (yes, it was 2007) but let’s just keep our fingers crossed!

Yeah – Go BSU and kick some BCS butt is right!

• G

go broncosOct 27, 2008 at 8:59 pm

jackoOct 27, 2008 at 11:35 am

The article is right on. I watched a couple of the boise games already and none of them were stellar. But they never give up and win with confidence not like the dogs. Their Defense is what keeps them alive. But BSU is the best representation of the WAC, no doubt. I hope they kick some buts in the Bowl they go to, cause I doubt the Dogs will beat them. Go BSU Kick some BCS butt.

jackoOct 27, 2008 at 6:35 pm

steveOct 27, 2008 at 11:13 am

This article is dead on. But consider what Boise is achieving with a red-shirt freshman quarterback and a near brand-new O-line. And look at how the defense is delivering. BSU should not be compared to its past. It should be compared to what its reality of today. It keeps winning because despite the hiccups and mistakes of youth, it remains a team that is greater than the sum of its parts. This is what has not changed; this is BSU’s mark of distinction. Give them style points for that – not blow-outs. For BSU to win as much as they do – and by the amount they do – with their relative youth is quite impressive. Who wouldn’t want to see if Boise can do a BCS repeat this year?

steveOct 27, 2008 at 6:13 pm