A good mix of youth and experience

Juan Villa / The Collegian

With the Fall season upon us, tennis season is underway and the men̢۪s tennis team has reason to be optimistic.

The team is anchored by its two nationally-ranked players, Rudy Siwy (No. 48) and Mirko Zapletal (No. 85), who have played well early on in the season.

Zapletal was a bit surprised by the fast start.

“I didn’t expect that we would start the year this well,â€Â Zapletal said. “However, I believe that we are a good doubles team and we can do some damage nationally.â€Â

The doubles tandem posted a 4-1 record at the H.E.B. Invitational to begin the season at Baylor University. In addition, they reached the final but came up short to a strong doubles team from Wisconsin. Siwy and Zapletal finished second at the tournament overall.

Head coach Jay Udwadia was impressed, but not surprised by the outcome at Baylor.

“The Baylor Invitational is traditionally one of the stronger fall events,â€Â Udwadia said. “It was good for Rudy and Mirko to get some matches under their belt against ranked opponents but I already knew what they were capable of.â€Â

The Bulldogs look poised to be a contender in the WAC. The team consists of one freshman, two sophomores, four juniors and one senior. Udwadia feels that the team is well-balanced with youth and experience.

“We have a good blend of young talented players, but also some guys that give us leadership who have been in the program for a few years,â€Â Udwadia said.

Another upcoming tournament is the ITA All-American Championship in Tulsa, Okla. The tournament is composed of the nation̢۪s top players and is selected by a committee based on ranking and individual achievement.

The tournament begins qualifying matches on Oct. 6 and runs through Oct. 12. The three members who were selected to represent the Bulldogs are Siwy, Zapletal and Tejesvi Veerepalli.

“It’s an honor to be selected,â€Â Zapletal said. “I’m glad I have an individual ranking in singles, and would like to keep it through the year and move up.â€Â

All three will compete in the singles qualifying tournament. However, Siwy also earned a spot as an alternate in the main draw. Additionally, Siwy and Zapletal will also partner up to play in the doubles qualifying tournament.

Siwy is looking to build off last year̢۪s success at the qualifying tournament where he went 3-0 to advance to the main draw.

“It’s special because you have the top talent in the nation all at one tournament,â€Â Siwy said. “Hopefully, I could pick up where I left off last year and continue to improve.â€Â

The team̢۪s next tournament is the Bulldog Classic which starts today and is played at home at the Wathen Tennis Center. The tournament will wrap up Sunday, but over the course of the next three days, tennis matches will be played with an all-day format.

Siwy looks forward to the home-court advantage.

“Many good teams are coming here to play,â€Â Siwy said. “It’s always good to compete at your courts with your family and friends supporting you.â€Â

The Bulldogs do not play a match other than in a tournament until February. This gives the team a good amount of time to see where they stand nationally.

Zapletal feels there is something special about this season.

“I think we’re good enough to be a top 25-30 team this year, maybe even better,â€Â said Zapletal. “In the end, I want my team to be celebrating a great year in a restaurant after winning the WAC and trying to advance in the NCAA draw as far as possible.â€Â

Competitors in the Bulldog Classic include: the Bulldogs, Nevada, Pacific, USF, Cal Poly, UC Irvine, Washington, USC, Cal and Fresno Pacific.