̢۪Dogs won̢۪t go down without a fight

Bryan Cole / The Collegian

After a winless October, Fresno State has sights set on finishing strong in the WAC

Even with a 5-14 record and a seven-game losing streak, Fresno State volleyball still doesn̢۪t want to push the panic button just yet.

“We have a lot of opportunities coming up,â€Â setter Allanah Munson said. “I think if we play well enough and work really hard we’ll catch some wins.â€Â

Freshman Baylee Platt is one of the Bulldogs who still has optimism for the rest of the year.

“I think we’re not like ‘oh my gosh,’ we need to win,â€Â Platt said. “We’re just trying to do it the right way. We know that the wins are going to come.â€Â

For coach Lauren Netherby-Sewell, the most important part of the season is an upcoming tournament for the Bulldogs.

“In this conference right now, it’s all about the WAC Tournament,â€Â Netherby-Sewell said. “Everyone goes.â€Â

Fresno State hasn̢۪t won a volleyball game in over a month, when they held off Utah State at Logan, Utah, in a five-set match on Sept. 25.

Most recently, Fresno State played against a highly-ranked Hawaii Rainbow Wahine team where the Bulldogs lost the sets 3-1. The nationally-ranked Rainbow Wahine dropped Fresno State̢۪s Western Athletic Conference (WAC) record to 2-8 on the year.

Netherby-Sewell did see one accomplishment against No. 9 Hawaii this past Sunday.

“We were one of two teams that have taken them past three games,â€Â Netherby-Sewell said. “I thought that was pretty impressive.â€Â

Platt saw the Hawaii game as more exciting than nerve- racking.

“It wasn’t so much tough,â€Â Platt said. “It was a lot of fun and really exciting. It was a good opportunity for us to play up to their level.â€Â

Allanah Munson believes that the Warriors aren̢۪t the only team dominating in the WAC right now.

“Hawaii and New Mexico State are tied in the WAC,â€Â Munson said. “Those two teams are definitely on top.â€Â

Bryan Cole / The Collegian

Munson feels that despite the way the year has gone for her team, Fresno State is still working hard inside the North Gym and at the Save Mart Center.

“We’re getting better.â€Â Munson said. “Even though the wins and losses doesn’t show. We’re going to keep working hard towards the WAC Tournament because that’s when the wins really matter. But hopefully we’ll start pulling a few wins.â€Â

Middle blocker Lauren Berger feels that improving the ability to finish off games will snap the seven-game losing streak for Fresno State volleyball.

“We’re right there, we just need to finish off,â€Â Berger said. “We need to come out strong and finish well.â€Â
Munson sees this year as a learning experience despite the losing streak and dismal record.

The whole year has been positive,â€Â Munson said. “We’re learning and growing everyday. We’re coming together. The whole year has been a positive experience.â€Â

The goal for the Bulldogs now is to get in a position where they are not one of the lowest seeded teams in the WAC Tournament.

“It’s going to be tough to get into the sixth spot,â€Â Netherby-Sewell said. “If we can get into the sixth spot we’re in pretty good shape. But that’s really tough at this point. We’re looking at seven, eight or nine and those three are playing the top of the conference right off the bat.â€Â

The WAC Tournament will be held from Nov. 20-23 in Hawaii.

November rain…

The Bulldogs have five games in November to improve their seeding in the WAC Tournament.

̢ۢ Saturday, 7 p.m., La. Tech

̢ۢ Nov. 8, 7 p.m., New Mexico State

̢ۢ Nov. 10, 7 p.m., Hawaii

̢ۢ Nov. 13, 6 p.m., at Boise State

̢ۢ Nov. 15, 7 p.m., at Idaho

̢ۢ Nov. 20-23, WAC Tournament