’Dogs say ‘aloha’ to BCS

Juan Villa / The Collegian

FRESNO STATE BULLDOGS 29, HAWAII WARRIORS 32 (OT)

Warriors pull out upset for third straight win over Bulldogs

It seems to have happened again to Fresno State.

The Bulldogs have lost a conference game to an opponent that should have been nothing more than a small bump in the road.

The Hawaii Warriors had only won one game coming into Saturday̢۪s contest and were 22-point underdogs, but gave Fresno State more than it could handle and won in overtime, 32-29.

With the loss, the Bulldogs are now 0-1 in conference and have surely lost all hope of a Bowl Championship Series (BCS) game.

The Bulldogs had 10 more first downs, 15 more plays on offense and gained 180 more yards than the Warriors, but lost in one critical statistic – turnovers.

“Six turnovers, I think that’s a record since I’ve been here,â€Â coach Pat Hill said. “You just can’t win football games when you turn it over six times.â€Â

The Bulldogs had opportunities and were able to move the ball effectively throughout the game, but had six possessions stall with turnovers. Not only did the turnovers end the possessions, the mistakes left the defense with short fields.

“We gave them about four or five short fields and that was the difference in the game,â€Â Hill said. “You can’t put your defense on a 30-yard field all night and that’s what we did.â€Â

Bryan Cole / The Collegian

Offensively, the Bulldogs were without tailback Ryan Mathews, but still gained more than 300 yards on the ground.

“We had two running backs gain over 150 yards,â€Â Hill said. “[Not having Ryan Mathews] was not our problem.â€Â

Lonyae Miller ran for 161 yards and two touchdowns while Anthony Harding went for 157 and one touchdown to carry the Bulldog offense.

Even though the offense sputtered with turnovers, the team was able to make a late comeback after being down 26-9 in the third quarter. With eight minutes left in the fourth quarter, Harding capped a nine-play, 70-yard drive with a 1-yard touchdown run.

Harding̢۪s score tied the game at 29 and gave the Bulldogs life late. After stopping the Warriors on their next possession with a field goal block by Andrew Jackson, the Bulldogs had a chance to win the game with less than one minute to play.

Fresno State kicker Kevin Goessling attempted a 36-yard field goal with 51 seconds to play only to have it blocked by Hawaii̢۪s Antwan Mahaley.

The Bulldog offense took the field in the first overtime series and abandoned their power run game, which had been a staple throughout the game. The offense ran three passing plays in overtime and gained a total of three yards.

The offensive series in overtime left the Bulldogs with a fourth-and-7 from the Hawaii 23 and Fresno State again turned to Goessling, who missed three field goals against Wisconsin in the Bulldogs̢۪ three-point loss to the Badgers.

Goessling̢۪s 40-yard attempt barely missed wide left, but the freshman would get another chance. Following the first miss, Hawaii was called for a running into the kicker penalty and the Bulldogs would get a second chance from the 18-yard line.

But the second chance would be wasted.

“Kicks in overtime are a tough thing,â€Â Goessling said. “Obviously it comes down to that one play. All eyes are on you and that’s alright, that’s what I signed up for.â€Â

Goessling̢۪s second try in overtime again sailed wide left.

Hawaii got the ball on the 25-yard line, ran three straight running plays to set up a game-winning field goal. Hawaii kicker Dan Kelly knocked it through and for the third straight season, Fresno State lost to conference rival Hawaii.

“That was as tough of a loss as I have been involved with here,â€Â Hill said.

Juan Villa / The Collegian

Collegian Players of the Game

Anthony Harding

Offense

Moses Harris
Defense

Andrew Jackson

Special Teams

The Collegian hands out its game balls following every Fresno State
football game:

Offense: Tailback Anthony Harding – The Turlock native had 157 yards rushing for the Bulldogs and provided a score.
Defense: Strong safety Moses Harris РHarris amassed six tackles and played excellent defense, shutting down Hawaii̢۪s passing game.
Special Teams: Andrew Jackson – He blocked a field goal in the fourth quarter.

Coming up next…

The Bulldogs are 0-1 in conference play, but will look to rebound as Idaho comes into town for homecoming. The Vandals are 0-2 in the WAC and lost at home Saturday to Nevada, 49-14.

$100
$500

$100
$500

JuniorOct 7, 2008 at 11:50 pm

It seems to me that Fresno residents are Bulldog fans coming into the season, but rivals later on. What hypocrites we all turn out to be. I don’t know about the rest of ya, but I want to go to the next home game, and possibly the one after that. I may be on edge when they’re down, but I enjoy a good football game, especially when it’s close like the recent ones have been.

JuniorOct 8, 2008 at 6:50 am

• K

kpOct 7, 2008 at 10:55 am

Jackowako, I definately agree with you. Such a shame how true that is.

• K

kpOct 7, 2008 at 5:55 pm

jackowakoOct 7, 2008 at 9:10 am

Its funny how a lost turns all the so called “FANS” against the team. If you are a true fan you would support your team no matter what.

GO DOGGS!!!!

jackowakoOct 7, 2008 at 4:10 pm

GO DOGGS!!!!

• K

KarenOct 6, 2008 at 7:44 pm

Ugh! Watching the DOGS on tv was full on excitement and sadness–all through the game we were down, came back to score and down again. We made it to OT and then…I’d really like to have Coach Hill and his crew bring some new & exciting plays to the game plan. We’ve got to have different “tricks” in our bag to make things happen. I know Coach Hill likes to keep to the game plan, but if we’re able to have those “secret” plays we’d able to catch our opponent off guard.

We’ve got to bring it on for the Idaho game & for all our games! Come on DOGS! It’s time to re-focus and win all games. We all know each and every player and coach has access to each team we will be playing, the way they play/work. We know those other teams/coaches are reviewing things that the DOGS have done, strong/weakness.

JUST DO IT!!

• K

KarenOct 7, 2008 at 2:44 am

JUST DO IT!!

Joseph SmithOct 6, 2008 at 5:30 pm

I hope there are the stadium is empty against Idaho. Pat Hill doesn’t deserve any fan support for the horrible job he has done crushing the whole student body as well as communitie’s hope every year. How many more year are we going to have to put up with this? Boise State destroys us every year and now Hawaii has beaten us three years in a row too. Pat Hill should be ashamed of himself. I put the blame solely on Pat Hill. It is his job to get his players ready to play and year after year we continually fail to inferior teams. I am sick and tired of this nonsense and I hope everyone else is as livid as I am about Pat Hill.

Joseph SmithOct 7, 2008 at 12:30 am

• I

IceMane7Oct 6, 2008 at 2:19 pm

Every year we hear the same story. ‘Bulldogs expected to be BCS-busters.’ And we turn out to be BCS “Busters.” This has been a disgrace for the entire decade. From 2001 to the present time, we can’t even get past conference foes Hawaii and Boise S

• I

IceMane7Oct 6, 2008 at 9:19 pm

• K

kpOct 6, 2008 at 12:38 pm

I see where you are coming from, jsv. My message was directed more to all the people I have heard so far around campus criticize Goessling. Getting everyone’s spirits down does no bit of good and trashing the players doesn’t help either. When everyone starts saying that Goessling can’t make a field goal, it makes it that much harder for him to make field goals because he starts to think about it. Like you said, he needs to clear his head, and the only way he can do that is by his team and fans standing behind him and showing their support. Then he will start making them with confidence. I’d like to see him drill a 58-yarder earlier in the game this Saturday and not miss another field goal the rest of the season. He’s definately capable of doing it.

• K

kpOct 6, 2008 at 7:38 pm

• L

LoserOct 6, 2008 at 12:31 pm

hahaha. good for your dumbass kicker. completely fakes a fall for another chance because he muffed his kick only to miss again. hahaha. loser.

• L

LoserOct 6, 2008 at 7:31 pm

jsvOct 6, 2008 at 11:36 am

Your definitely right, kp. I didnt mean to sound like i was blaming him, i just wanted to point ou that he is probably blaming himself so much right now. But six turn overs would kill any team no matter how good they were.

jsvOct 6, 2008 at 6:36 pm

• K

kpOct 6, 2008 at 10:03 am

Let’s not put all the blame on one individual here. Yes, Goessling hasn’t been reliable when he has been needed, but he shouldn’t be given the entire blame. You win as a team, and you lose as a team. In a game where a team has six turnovers, they ought to be lucky that they even had a chance to win. It was a heartbreaking loss for all Bulldogs fans, but I’m sure that there is a lot to be learned from this loss that will be applied in practice this week.

Before everyone starts to give up on the Dogs this season, a 10-2 record is still possible and is a very respectable record. We still have a chance to win the WAC this season, let’s not count ourselves out too early. Let’s finish the season strong and finish off the season upsetting Boise State!

Also great game for running backs Lonyae Miller and Anthony Harding. You both step it up when the team needed you. Your performances kept us in the game. I look forward to seeing more performances like we saw from you on Saturday night.

As for Kevin Goessling, keep at it. I know that you can make those field goals. They will come easier now.

Go Bulldogs!

• K

kpOct 6, 2008 at 5:03 pm

Go Bulldogs!

jsvOct 6, 2008 at 8:40 am

that was a heart breaker. Goessling needs to clear his head. He is probably a basket case right now. If i was Pat HIll, in overtime when it was 4th and three. I would have faked a kicked or went for the first down. Goessling, isnt reliable. In the future, maybe next year he’ll probably be great but right now his head is probably a mess and not reliable. That is two games that relied on him and he couldn’t step up.

jsvOct 6, 2008 at 3:40 pm