‘Battle of the Bone’ set for Saturday at Tech

Photo Courtesy of Louisiana Tech Athletic Media Relations

The Fresno State football team avoided a major letdown at Utah State – just barely.

Coming off a bye week, the Bulldogs needed a 38-second drive orchestrated by Tom Brandstater, and the longest kick in school history, 58 yards, by Kevin Goessling to stave off an upset.

The 30-28 win over the Utah State Aggies saved the season from a downward spiral and kept the Bulldogs undefeated on the road.

As Goessling was carried off the field, the fans remained in their seats at Romney Stadium, stunned at what had just occurred on their homecoming.

“Having the support of my team and then having them put me on their shoulders was the best feeling I’ve had as an athlete,â€Â Goessling said.

While the victory did little to change the perception that the Bulldogs play down to the level of their competition, the win did improve the Bulldogs̢۪ record to 5-2 overall and 2-1 in the WAC.

However, the Bulldogs have put that game behind them and have shifted their focus to the other Bulldogs in the conference, Louisiana Tech.

With both teams having the same mascot, the rivalry has garnered the title ‘The Battle of the Bone.’

Louisiana Tech comes into the game at 3-4 (1-2 WAC), and is coming off a 14-7 loss to Army last weekend.

Fresno State leads ‘The Battle of the Bone’ series 6-3. With a win Saturday, the Fresno State Bulldogs will become bowl eligible.

Coach Pat Hill recognizes the importance of the upcoming game.

“Becoming eligible with four games remaining would be a great accomplishment,â€Â Hill said. “Every game is a must-win for us, and we all know, no win comes easy.â€Â

Louisiana Tech̢۪s record is a bit deceiving. Every loss for Louisiana Tech has come on the road, and to quality teams. Its losses have come from Kansas, Boise State, Hawaii and Army. But at Joe Aillet stadium in Ruston, La., the Bulldogs of Louisiana are undefeated.

Hill feels Louisiana Tech is better than its record shows.

“They are a much tougher team at home, and we’ll have to pick up our play from last weekend,â€Â Hill said.

Fresno State defeated Louisiana Tech last year at Bulldog Stadium 17-6, and won a tough game in 2006 at Joe Aillet stadium 34-27. Fresno State̢۪s last loss in the series was in 2005 at home, 40-28.

Some good news for the team is they will most likely get some key performers back in action this weekend. Top defensive lineman Jon Monga, safety Marvin Haynes and tight end Bear Pascoe look to get back onto the field.

Monga has missed three games due to a knee injury, Pascoe̢۪s injured ankle has kept him out of the last two and Haynes̢۪ injured back caused him to miss the last game.

“They’re tough competitors and some of the toughest guys on the team,â€Â Hill said. “This weekend, they should all be able to give it a go.â€Â

The Bulldogs are getting healthy at an important stretch in the season and are currently third in the conference. Fresno State̢۪s hopes for a conference title remain very much alive. The team is a game behind Boise State and ends the season at Boise.

Hill said the kick last weekend was not only good for Goessling, but huge for the team.

“It kept us in the WAC race,â€Â Hill said. “We still hold our own destiny.â€Â

Goessling gets awards

Fresno State kicker Kevin Goessling was named Special Team Player of the Week by the Western Athletic Conference for his performance last weekend in Logan, Utah.

Goessling was 3-for-4 on field goals, including a 58-yarder at the end of regulation to lift the Bulldogs to victory.

The redshirt freshman was also recognized as Fresno State Student Athlete of the Week.

Injury update

Several key players for Fresno State are currently sidelined with injuries.

The list includes defensive lineman Jon Monga, tight end Bear Pascoe, free safety Marvin Haynes, tailback Lonyae Miller, kick returner/cornerback A.J. Jefferson and wide receiver Marlon Moore.

Getting to know the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs…

2007 Record: 6-7 (4-4 in the WAC)

The story so far: Louisiana Tech has been strong at home, starting the season with a win over Mississippi State, but has yet to win a road game, resulting in a 3-4 record. The Bulldogs have rotated quarterbacks this season, but may have found some stability with sophomore Ross Jenkins. Louisiana Tech still has plenty to play for, as it could become bowl eligible before the end of the season.

Impact Players: Offense – Tailback Daniel Porter – The junior has established himself as the featured back, starting over senior Patrick Jackson. Porter has rushed for 501 yards and three touchdowns this season while averaging 4.6 yards per carry.

Defense – Safety Antonio Baker – Baker is second in the WAC with 68 tackles, averaging 9.7 tackles per game. The safety will play strong in run support against Fresno State. The junior can also defend the pass well; he has two interceptions this season.

The Buzz: For the second straight week, Fresno State will be the visitors at a homecoming game. Coach Pat Hill needs to stress to his team that nothing is different in a homecoming game. That shouldn’t be a problem, as the Bulldogs have established themselves as road warriors. Fresno State is 4-0 on the road, but Louisiana Tech is 3-0 at Joe Aillet Stadium. Something has to give in this ‘Battle of the Bone.’

$100
$500

$100
$500

• I

IceMane7Oct 30, 2008 at 11:00 am

don’t try to get me excited about La Tech. Fresno State——won’t happen. This is why we need a WAC-MWC merger. I want a TCU, Utah, BYU, Hawaii, or Boise week in and week out.

• I

IceMane7Oct 30, 2008 at 6:00 pm

Joe E. (The Collegian)Oct 29, 2008 at 5:27 pm

Congratulations to Kevin Goessling for Wac “special teams player” of the week and WAC “student athlete of the week”. Those are great accomplishments for Kevin. I hope last weekend’s Utah St. game put to rest any idea that Kevin Goessling ruined a possible BCS bid for Fresno St. by missing field goals in the Wisconsin and Hawaii games. I think we have a great, hardworking team with a coach who has put this school on the map. They’re not BCS caliber this year, though. I think the expectations were too high. Fresno St. has not played a team with a winning record to this point. The aforementioned Wisconsin Badgers are 4-4 overall and 1-4 in Big Ten play. They certainly weren’t worthy of a #10 ranking. Bulldog foes, so far this season, are a combined 19-38 overall. The Bulldogs are were they are because of the team as a whole, not because of Goessling’s left foot.

Joe E. (The Collegian)Oct 29, 2008 at 10:27 am