What’s happenin’ with the stars?

Gregorio Binuya / McClatchy

‘IN A WORLD’ VOICEOVER KING DON LAFONTAINE DIES

LOS ANGELES-Don LaFontaine, who recently parodied himself as “that announcer guy from the moviesâ€Â in a Geico insurance commercial, has died. He was 68.

The voiceover king known for the “In a world …â€Â movie trailer phrase died from complications from pneumothorax, or a collapsed lung, Monday at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles.

LaFontaine was born on Aug. 26, 1940, in Duluth, Minn. After graduating from high school, he joined the Army, where he was assigned to work as a recording engineer. This led to his working at the National Recording Studios after his discharge as a sound engineer/editor.

He had an illustrious career with movie trailers that included work on “Dr. Strangelove,â€Â “The Godfather Part II,â€Â “Terminatorâ€Â and “Fatal Attraction,â€Â among thousands of others. He also became the official voice of Paramount while lending his voice to all the major networks and various cable stations.

The “King of Voiceoversâ€Â also voiced hundreds of commercials for products such as Coke, McDonalds, Ford, Budweiser and Birds-Eye frozen foods.

LaFontaine is survived by his wife, actress and singer Nita Whitaker, and three children, Christine, Skye and Elyse.

‘NATIONAL TREASURE’ STAR JOINS TARANTINO’S ‘BASTARDS’

LOS ANGELES-Nastassja Kinski is out and Diane Kruger is in for the cast of Quentin Tarantino’s World War II ensemble “Inglorious Bastards.â€Â

Also joining the cast of the Weinstein Company/Universal co-production is German star Til Schweiger.

Kruger will play Bridget Von Hammersmark, a German movie star who assists a team of Nazi hunters in their mission of revenge. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Tarantino had wanted Kinski for the role and had even flown to Germany to meet with her, but no deal was reached.

Schweiger will play a member of the Nazi hunting team.

“Inglorious Bastardsâ€Â will begin production on Oct. 13 in Germany, with a May 2009 Cannes Film Festival premiere tentatively in the cards.

Kruger is best known as the female lead from “Troyâ€Â and the two smash “National Treasureâ€Â films. She has “Mr. Nobodyâ€Â and “Run for Her Lifeâ€Â on tap.

Schweiger’s studio credits include “King Arthur,â€Â “Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Lifeâ€Â and “Driven.â€Â

‘NEWLYWEDS’ COME BACK TO ABC

In case you missed “Here Come the Newlywedsâ€Â the first time around, ABC has a remedy for you.

The network has renewed the show, which scored decent ratings in the strike-depressed TV environment earlier this year, for a second season. It̢۪s also upped the show̢۪s episode order from six to eight, with comedian Pat Bullard returning as host.

The second season will pit nine recently married couples in a series of competitions to win a nest egg worth several hundred thousand dollars. The couples themselves determine who goes home at the end of each episode.

ABC’s announcement of the renewal refers to the show “the hit one-hour romantic comedy alternative series,â€Â which aside from being a mouthful may stretch the definition of “hitâ€Â just a little bit.

“Newlyweds’â€Â competition was “Law & Order: SVUâ€Â reruns on NBC and repurposed “Dexterâ€Â episodes on CBS. The 8.1 million average ranks about 75th among all programs for the entire season.