Welty denies Amethyst Initiative

David Zentz / McClatchy Tribune

A major issue in nationwide news has been the controversial movement that aims to decrease the legal drinking age from 21 to 18 by means of college endorsement.

Fresno State declined to participate and continues its goal of providing abuse education.

In an attempt to gain support, the Amethyst Initiative, which consists of numerous college presidents, has been asking for more support to add strength to its cause.

With the advice of the Alcohol Safety Council (ASC) — a council of faculty members, students, police officers and other parties that discuss matters of importance in relation to students and alcohol use — President Welty declined the invitation, said Paul Oliaro Ph.D., vice president of student affairs and chair of ASC.

“We felt there was no reason why he should join the other president,â€Â Oliaro said.

“If a president is to sign something that will condone behavior, I respect the fact that he will consult an organization related to the matter first,â€Â said Michael Caldwell, Ph.D., associate professor of music and chair of faculty subcommittee of ASC.

Oliaro pointed out the council̢۪s three main reasons for opposing the initiative. First is the current drinking age, which he said already encourages underage drinking. Second, it would do nothing to encourage safety on campus. His third and most important reason why the council was so opposed to the initiative was that it will provide easier access to alcohol to high school students.

He stressed that this third and final reason was crucial to their stance because if an 18-year-old senior were to buy alcohol, they could share it with younger friends in lower grades, which would only make the change in law a horrible decision.

Student opinions on the matter, however, vary. Albert Leung, mechanical engineering major, is in favor of the Amethyst Initiative.

“If an 18 year old can join the army, why shouldn’t he be able to have a shot?â€Â Leung said.

An alternate view on the matter was expressed by Mai Yang, creative writing major.

“A big risk of giving 18-year-olds the right to drink is that at their age, they may not be aware of all the dangers associated with drinking and may have misconceptions about how college is going to be ‘one giant party,’â€Â Yang said.

Aside from its opposition to the initiative, the ASC̢۪s faculty subcommittee has released an invitation to all faculty members to take part in the ASC Faculty Pledge Program, which was initiated by Caldwell. The program entitles all participating members to provide assistance to students who admit that they need help.

Caldwell said the ASC does not tell the faculty members involved what to say, but the program is geared for “people who want to present themselves as someone that wants to promote it.â€Â

He made it clear that all members, whether faculty or not, are entitled to join the program, but those that do should be ready, if the time comes, to provide information or advice.

According to Caldwell, a common misconception about the ASC in general is that it aims to prevent the use of alcohol.

“If someone wanted to come to a meeting and see what the council does, it’s not about prohibition or abstinence,â€Â Caldwell said. “It’s always about keeping it positive and helping students.â€Â

Oliaro said that a strong point of the council and its pledge is that they both “keep issues in the forefront for the campus.â€Â

He mentioned the posters around campus that deal with alcohol abuse and drinking too much at parties as prime examples of this.

According to Caldwell, that particular campaign, which was geared to pass on information and facts about uncontrolled drinking to students was, “almost entirely student ran.â€Â

The posters were just one of the examples he mentioned as active ways to promote the council̢۪s cause and dedication to helping students in need.

Caldwell said the council takes an active roll on campus by their participation in National Collegiate School Alcohol Awareness Week, as well as their continuing cooperation with local law enforcement.

For more information on upcoming events and news regarding the ASC, click here.