Bulldogs top Pac-10 foe

Juan Villa / The Collegian

Game wrap-up

PASADENA — Ryan Mathews had 166 yards rushing and two scores to lead the way, as the Fresno State Bulldogs outlasted the UCLA Bruins 36-31 at the Rose Bowl Saturday.

UCLA was threatening inside the 10-yard line when cornerback Sharrod Davis knocked the ball loose from UCLA̢۪s Derrick Coleman to force a fumble, which was recovered by Wilson Ramos.

The Bulldogs were able to run out the rest of the clock with an efficient, eight-minute drive to seal the victory.

Senior quarterback Tom Brandstater was 21-for-30 passing, with 236 yards, three touchdowns and an interception.

Mathews, Bear Pascoe and Chastin West all had touchdown receptions for Fresno State.

UCLA̢۪s Kahlil Bell scored twice for the Bruins and finished with 73 yards on the ground. Coleman led the Bruins with 86 yards rushing.

Fresno State will head back to Bulldog Stadium this week for its conference opener against Hawaii Saturday night.

Check Monday̢۪s issue of the Collegian and the Collegian Online for a full game wrap, photos and a video.

Halftime Report

PASADENA – The Fresno State Bulldogs are in a back-and-forth battle with the UCLA Bruins at the Rose Bowl, but after one half of play the Bulldogs hold the upper hand, 20-19.

Fresno State got off to an early lead on a 63-yard punt return from junior Marlon Moore. This was after UCLA opened the game with a kickoff return for a touchdown that was called back on a holding penalty.

Fresno State̢۪s defense had a hard time stopping the run early, allowing UCLA tailback Kahlil Bell to score twice, but made a crucial fourth down stop towards the end of the second quarter.

After that stop, Tom Brandstater orchestrated a 82-yard, seven-play scoring drive, capped off by a touchdown pass to tight end Bear Pascoe.

Ryan Mathews scored on a 49-yard sweep play in the second quarter and Koi Forbath had two field goals for the Bruins.

Fresno State will receive the kickoff in the second half after winning the coin toss.

Bryan Cole / The Collegian

Pregame update

The Red Wave has made the trip down to Pasadena and the Rose Bowl atmosphere is unreal.

The historic home of the UCLA Bruins is buzzing, ready for the game between the Bulldogs and Bruins to get underway.

The Bulldogs are favored to win today by seven points and will look to make a statement against the Pac-10 foe.

The Bulldog players have looked ready and do not seem intimidated by the Bruins fans or the stadium atmosphere.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Jim TuckerSep 27, 2008 at 10:31 pm

Congratulations to the Bulldogs for a great victory. Congratulations also to the Collegian online staff for its prompt and highly professional coverage. You’re providing a wonderful service to Bulldog fans everywhere.

Jim Tucker, CSUF Professor Emeritus.

Jim TuckerSep 28, 2008 at 5:31 am

Jim Tucker, CSUF Professor Emeritus.

AnneSep 27, 2008 at 4:25 pm

Great shot of the celebration and fan support!! Go dogs!!!

AnneSep 27, 2008 at 11:25 pm

• V

VirginiaSep 27, 2008 at 2:31 pm

What an exciting game!! It’s very impressive to see alll the Fresno State red shirts in the stands – wonderful fan support. Go Dogs!!

• V

VirginiaSep 27, 2008 at 9:31 pm