Two ASI execs on probation

By Kelly Lucus and Brandon Santiago

To view both Mason’s and Flores’ full statements that were delivered to The Collegian on the evening of Sept. 16, visit the ASI web site.

Alcohol purchase and pledge violation lead to reprimand by Senate

Two of ASI̢۪s executives have admitted to allowing underage drinking at the ASI leadership retreat in July.

During the retreat, ASI President Mackee M. Mason, ASI Executive Vice President Sandra Flores and other members of ASI broke the “substance free pledgeâ€Â by consuming alcohol at their hotel. Some who were drinking were not of legal age. Mason and Flores didn’t stop the underage drinking.

Student fees funded the ASI retreat, which was held in Southern California.

In a letter to students delivered to The Collegian by Tara Powers-Mead, director of university affairs, Flores stated that the money used to purchase the alcohol was not from student funds.

“During the July 2008 ASI retreat, the substance free pledge was broken and underage students were involved in consuming alcohol in my presence. I did not take any action in stopping these students,â€Â Flores said in her letter. “I recognize this was a judgment error of mine and I apologize.â€Â

The ASI Senate reviewed the allegations Sept. 15 and then took action, which included the requirement that both Mason and Flores make a statement to fellow students admitting involvement.

Carolyn Coon, Ph.D., assistant vice president for student affairs and dean of students, revealed the findings to the ASI Senate, according to Flores̢۪ letter.

Mason submitted a letter of his own acknowledging his involvement with the drinking at the ASI retreat. “I made an error in judgment and consumed alcohol in my room,â€Â he stated. “Some underage students also chose to consume alcohol in my presence.â€Â

Mason also said in his letter that he purchased alcohol on two separate occasions with ASI credit cards.

On the first occasion — June 13 in Southern California, before the retreat — Mason said in his letter that a meal with two fellow student leaders included the purchase of two alcoholic beverages. Mason said an ASI officer from CSU Fullerton and one ASI officer from Fresno State ordered the drinks. Mason said that, to his knowledge, the CSU Fullerton officer paid for the drinks separately at the bar.

Mason stated that he was unaware that the charge to his credit card included the drinks. However, he admitted to signing the receipt.

“That was an oversight, a mischarge, a mistake for which I take responsibility because I mistakenly signed the receipt without thorough review,â€Â Mason said in his letter.

On the second occasion, another business meal was placed on Mason̢۪s ASI credit card for $20. He said there was a large group at this meeting in June and the bill was split evenly among attendees. Mason said that some students ordered alcohol, which showed up on his receipt.

He again denied the knowledge of purchasing alcohol on his ASI credit card.

“I did not consume or intend to purchase any alcoholic beverages,â€Â Mason said in his letter. “It was revealed to me last Thursday by Dr. Coon that the receipt for the entire group included some alcoholic beverages.â€Â

In a telephone interview with The Collegian late Tuesday evening, ASI Executive Director Annie Tremp said that she voiced her concern about the alcohol use early on.

Tremp told The Collegian that, to her knowledge, the only time alcohol was purchased using the ASI credit card was during the Fullerton trip and not on the ASI retreat.

“Mason couldn’t provide justification for why alcohol was purchased,â€Â Tremp said.

Tremp told The Collegian she had many concerns about Mason.

“I started getting gut feelings and seeing red flags when he wasn’t turning in receipts or writing full justifications for using ASI funds for certain purchases,â€Â Tremp said. “But when I was approached by another staff member saying that Mason and Flores had purchased alcohol for others during the retreat, I voiced my concerns to Carolyn Coon and Deborah Astone.â€Â

Deborah Adishian-Astone is the associate vice president for auxiliary operations.

Tremp said she was assured that Coon and Adishian-Astone would examine all of Mason̢۪s and Flores̢۪ receipts and purchases.

Tremp claims that Mason worked to discredit her in order to keep the situation under wraps.

“I reported the misuse and the next thing I knew, Mackee shut down the office for a week and I was being investigated,â€Â Tremp said.

The Collegian could not reach Mason for comment late Tuesday.

According to Tremp, Adishian-Astone put Tremp on paid administrative leave at Mason̢۪s discretion. Tremp said she might lose her position.

Tremp told The Collegian that she is no longer on paid leave and has been given an ultimatum. “Basically, it’s either I take the severance package they are now offering me or else I get fired,â€Â Tremp said.

On Sept. 8, The Collegian requested documents regarding the retreat and related issues. The Collegian issued a formal follow-up letter Sept. 12 for the ASI retreat itinerary, executive credit card statements and expense forms for June 1 through Aug. 31.

The Collegian has not yet received the documents. Powers-Mead informed The Collegian that these documents are being compiled. She said approval for the release of the documents is waiting on ASI supervisors and ASI lawyers.

In their letters, both Mason and Flores said that they take full responsibility for their actions and will cooperate with Senate̢۪s decision.

Late Tuesday, The Collegian spoke with ASI Senator Graham Wahlberg, senator of the college of engineering, and Lauren Johnson, vice president of finance.

The ASI Senate decided to place Mason and Flores on probation for the remainder of their terms, Johnson and Wahlberg separately confirmed.

Wahlberg said the decision passed 10-0. As an executive, Johnson did not vote.

“Following an explanation of the allegations by those accused, we put President Mason and Executive Vice President Flores on probation, which is to last the remainder of their terms,â€Â Wahlberg told The Collegian.

According to the decision, the ASI Senate can change the probationary period, pending review by the Senate, both Wahlberg and Johnson said.

“Anything deemed inappropriate by the ASI Senate will result in immediate removal from office,â€Â Johnson said.

Wahlberg said that the decision included freezing the credit card accounts of Mason and Flores. He said that Mason would have to repay all alcohol-related charges to the ASI credit card.

Paul Oliaro, Ph.D., vice president for student affairs, said in a phone interview with The Collegian on Tuesday afternoon that his concern was with the Senate and the way they handled the situation.

“ASI Senate has done a careful and thoughtful review of the situation involving the president and vice president,â€Â Oliaro said. “I was concerned of the procedure being fair and careful, and they have done it.â€Â

The Collegian left multiple phone and e-mail messages for Gary Nelson, student activities adviser, and Coon regarding the issue. The messages were not returned.

Additional reporting by Mathew Gomes.

Correction

A story on Page 1 of the Sept. 17 Collegian needed clarification on ASI Executive Vice President Sandra Flores’ involvement in the ASI leadership retreat. Flores said in her letter to students: “During the July 2008 ASI Retreat, the substance free pledge was broken and underage students were involved in consuming alcohol in my presence.â€Â

$100
$500

$100
$500

ConcernedSep 19, 2008 at 5:16 pm

Just to be clear…

PRINCIPLE
    1. an accepted or professed rule of action or conduct: a person of good moral principles.
    2. a fundamental, primary, or general law or truth from which others are derived: the principles of modern physics.
    3. a fundamental doctrine or tenet; a distinctive ruling opinion: the principles of the Stoics.
    4. principles, a personal or specific basis of conduct or management: to adhere to one’s principles; a kindergarten run on modern principles.
    5. guiding sense of the requirements and obligations of right conduct: a person of principle.
    6. an adopted rule or method for application in action: a working principle for general use.
    7. a rule or law exemplified in natural phenomena, the construction or operation of a machine, the working of a system, or the like: the principle of capillary attraction.
    8. the method of formation, operation, or procedure exhibited in a given case: a community organized on the patriarchal principle.
    9. a determining characteristic of something; essential quality.
    10. an originating or actuating agency or force: growth is the principle of life.

PRINCIPAL
    1. first or highest in rank, importance, value, etc.; chief; foremost.
    2. of, of the nature of, or constituting principal or capital: a principal investment.
    3. Geometry. (of an axis of a conic) passing through the foci.
    –noun
    4. a chief or head.
    5. the head or director of a school or, esp. in England, a college.
    6. a person who takes a leading part in any activity, as a play; chief actor or doer.
    7. the first player of a division of instruments in an orchestra (excepting the leader of the first violins).
    8. something of principal or chief importance.
    9. Law.
    a. a person who authorizes another, as an agent, to represent him or her.
    b. a person directly responsible for a crime, either as an actual perpetrator or as an abettor present at its commission. Compare accessory (def. 3).
    10. a person primarily liable for an obligation, in contrast with an endorser, or the like.
    11. the main body of an estate, or the like, as distinguished from income.
    12. Finance. a capital sum, as distinguished from interest or profit.
    13. Music.
    a. an organ stop.
    b. the subject of a fugue.
    14. (in a framed structure) a member, as a truss, upon which adjacent or similar members depend for support or reinforcement.
    15. each of the combatants in a duel, as distinguished from the seconds.

ConcernedSep 20, 2008 at 12:16 am

Just to be clear…

PRINCIPLE

PRINCIPAL
    ”“noun
    4. a chief or head.
    9. Law.
    13. Music.
    a. an organ stop.
    b. the subject of a fugue.

ConcernedSep 20, 2008 at 12:16 am

Just to be clear…

PRINCIPLE

PRINCIPAL
    ”“noun
    4. a chief or head.
    9. Law.
    13. Music.
    a. an organ stop.
    b. the subject of a fugue.

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Sep 19, 2008 at 9:09 am

Mexican Strippers? That would be cool.

Whomever said “principals” referring to $2 or $20 or $2K … one day you’ll learn to laugh at the concept of “principals.” I’m an idealist living in a world of people, the majority of whom have compromised their principals. Any of you complaining on this premise … the question to pose to any of you … can you hold true, or will you look back on this one day and laugh, or look back one day realizing the reality of the situation?

$20 is petty. The “principal” of the issue is in question. Beyond that … calls for resignation for something not as egregious as hiring Mexican Strippers and paying for it with student money (when we can hold our own wet-T-shirt contest) is kind of just as petty.

So if we’re going to be petty: let me point something out: I’ve been disciplined, chastised and fired from work environment for trying to hold up high standards, acting petty about these issues, and generally being more competent to “see” thinks like this, on their face, for what they are, and point them out. So if you think the world of “principles” is real … consider the competence of the overall population first (those who would be offended rather than seriously contemplate this question deserve more scrutiny than the rest). And in the end, if you can hold true … you know your a better person … but this is not the case, and most people just roll-over and forget, or have something negative to say about you after you’re gone, and after holding up what’s right and true. Seriously. Kind of sad. And you may wonder why I have this to say, of all things.

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Sep 19, 2008 at 4:09 pm

Mexican Strippers? That would be cool.

Mexican Strippers? That would be cool.

Tough behind keyboardSep 19, 2008 at 12:57 am

everyone is so tough behind a keyboard, when it was time to step up, who did? The person who got second place and annie’s husband? Really, don’t act all earlier than thou, it was 20 bucks and a mistake, and now the collegian is going to make it into two day news, using Mackee as a source to sell free papers!

No one trusts the collegian anyway, if they write another story it shows.thAt the collegian is a tabloid, who no one trusts other than annie’s 22 y/of husband and second place and fraternity haters!

Tough behind keyboardSep 19, 2008 at 7:57 am

Britney SpearsSep 18, 2008 at 11:48 pm

oops, insert “don’t” in between “entities” and “really” in the previous comment. Sorry.

Britney SpearsSep 19, 2008 at 6:48 am

Britney SpearsSep 19, 2008 at 6:48 am

Britney SpearsSep 18, 2008 at 11:47 pm

What does that mean? “Other leadership entities really agree and like ASI…”. It seems that that really speaks to specific individuals who may be or were in office in ASI at the time, which reflects upon personnel, not the aims of ASI as an organization that is run for the sole purpose of helping students.

And maybe “no one” cares to vote during ASI elections because “no one” cares to vote in elections, in general. I don’t think that because there is low voter turnout that that means that ASI is some pointless organization.

Britney SpearsSep 19, 2008 at 6:47 am

Britney SpearsSep 19, 2008 at 6:47 am

• F

Former ASI/leadership retreat attendeeSep 18, 2008 at 11:26 pm

I am a Fresno state graduate who have attended various leadership retreats with ASI in the past few years, and honesly, this is no surprise news. Our recent one, a couple years ago in southern california, the same thing happened and the administrative people there for the ASI pretended like nothing happen. At that retreat, Mackee and Sandra did not attend our last closing meeting before we left the retreat because they were sleeping and recovering from drinking the night before, and no one asked where they were!
    I always knew mackee wanted the ASI position just for the name and the title. He is not a good leader at all. I am surprised he won! ASI needs to be fixed at Fresno State. No other leadreship entities really agree and like ASI because they think they are better than the rest of the leadership organizations on campus. No one really cares to vote during elections because no one cares and does not even know about ASI. People serving ASI needs to get out in the campus community and help and ask for help, not just sit in the office and wait- be real leaders!
    Mackee and Sandra needs to be kicked out of their positions, if not, all i can say is that it is very sad the school i have graduated from is being represented by dismal individuals.

• F

Former ASI/leadership retreatSep 19, 2008 at 6:26 am

• F

The JokerSep 18, 2008 at 11:19 pm

Mr. Mason,

It is simple, you broke the law. You gave alcohol to minors. You admitted to it, such is fact. Resign with dignity and you will be forgiven. If our elected officials can’t respect the law, that which you swore to protect no less, how can we trust your judgment in the future?

The JokerSep 19, 2008 at 6:19 am

Mr. Mason,

The JokerSep 19, 2008 at 6:19 am

Mr. Mason,

• P

Packee PasonSep 18, 2008 at 10:56 pm

Dear ASI president.

Please step down.

• P

Packee PasonSep 19, 2008 at 5:56 am

Dear ASI president.

Please step down.

• P

Packee PasonSep 19, 2008 at 5:56 am

Dear ASI president.

Please step down.

MikeSep 18, 2008 at 8:20 pm

My apologies, I realized Mason’s first name is spelled Mackee. And I still stand by my feelings……

MikeSep 19, 2008 at 3:20 am

MikeSep 19, 2008 at 3:20 am

MikeSep 18, 2008 at 8:17 pm

Where to begin….I am a Fresno State student and I have participated in numerous conferences with the great leadership author, John C. Maxwell. I am not talking about a simple hour of his time, these have been three day meetings with insight, wisdom and hope given to people who want to lead. I do this for my growth, my future and my family.I have been blessed to have been associated with leaders making modest incomes and leaders who are very wealthy. What they all have in common is that they are kind, selfless people with INTEGRITY. Integrity is an one of several issues here involving Mackie Mason and Sandra Flores. Mackie Mason chose to become a billboard for Fresno State students. Thus far, I do not believe he is living up to his title. Mackie Mason does not represent me. He does not represent my friends whom are all going to have bright futures. Perhaps he doesn’t represent you? He is not a leader, but he could be if he decides to grow up, become humble, and submit to a higher athority for leadership knowledge. If he is not repreimanded what will he do next? If I was an employer I would not hire him or Sandra Flores. The real world has no room for individuals missusing organizational funds. Mackie Mason and Sandra Flores should step down. I truely believe that if they came forward and admitted their wrong doing and resigned Fresno Stated will forgive them.

MikeSep 19, 2008 at 3:17 am

MikeSep 19, 2008 at 3:17 am

Concerned BulldogSep 18, 2008 at 6:50 pm

Concerned Students United — good find. Some needs to do it ASAP!

Concerned BulldogSep 19, 2008 at 1:50 am

• P

Please!Sep 18, 2008 at 5:20 pm

Somebody please teach mackee mason the difference between where and were!!! What a F%$^@ IDIOT!

• P

Please!Sep 19, 2008 at 12:20 am

• P

Please!Sep 19, 2008 at 12:20 am

• L

LLSep 18, 2008 at 4:51 pm

oh yes and leo, be a real man and stop being two faced about the subject. Do not act like the best friend of mr. mason around him and then go behind his back and post your opinion on a website.

• L

LLSep 18, 2008 at 11:51 pm

• L

LLSep 18, 2008 at 11:51 pm

Concerned Students UnitedSep 18, 2008 at 4:50 pm

You guys don’t need to draft a petition or any of that useless stuff. ASI has a Student Court. They hear matters from who else…students! Some intrepid young crusader just has to draft a complaint explaining why a certain member of ASI has violated a certain bylaw and a hearing should take place.

http://asi.csufresno.edu/files/Web%20Bylaws%20&%20Policies/Bylaw/bylaws%20-%20art%2005.pdf

Section 3.2 pretty much explains it all.

Concerned Students UnitedSep 18, 2008 at 11:50 pm

• L

LLSep 18, 2008 at 4:49 pm

get your own facts before making assumptions. not everything you hear is the truth. most people are just basing their anger on here-say

• L

LLSep 18, 2008 at 11:49 pm

• L

LLSep 18, 2008 at 11:49 pm

Concerned CitizenSep 18, 2008 at 4:27 pm

First it is alcohol….what’s next? Mexican strippers? C’mon….ridiculous….

Concerned CitizenSep 18, 2008 at 11:27 pm

ConcernedSep 18, 2008 at 4:14 pm

Whether it be $2, $20, or $200… the issue here is the principle of using wise judgment and frugal spending when spending OTHER PEOPLE’S MONEY. Especially when the university is facing budget cuts and student fee increases, money is a hard thing to come by these days. The fact that these executives are in control of a $700,000 budget makes one worry that they will exercise ‘errors of judgment’ in other matters as well and their actions have reflected their spending habits on multiple occasions.

It’s a matter of principle.

ConcernedSep 18, 2008 at 11:14 pm

It’s a matter of principle.

ConcernedSep 18, 2008 at 11:14 pm

It’s a matter of principle.

• R

Remember JP...He was a true ASI leader!!!!Sep 18, 2008 at 4:07 pm

First off Mackie abuses his authority and popularity… Sandra and Mackie were practically handed their position. And hmmm funny Mackie is part of the largest fraternity at State and hmmm Sandra is best friends with Mackie, they had the popular vote and athletic vote. Both were a shoe in. As for Sandra, she went from secretary to vice president, enough said. I can definitely call her a young PIG WITH LIPSTICK.

I think one main reason why I’m so upset is the speech Mackie butchered at Beiden Field for the NCAA Baseball Award and Recognition ceremony for the dogs. He rambled and congratulated the students more than the players, saying it was the “students’ time” during the amazing feat. Ummmm I think it’s the baseball players’ time bud, I’m sure they could care less about the student government, they just won the NCAA Championships. I would rather have Tommy Mendonca for president and Steve Detwiler as Vice President….that doesn’t sound half bad, they are true leaders and rolemodels. Remove Mackie and Sandra IMMEDIATELY!

• R

Remember JP...He was a true ASSep 18, 2008 at 11:07 pm

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Sep 18, 2008 at 3:04 pm

I fail to see taking responsibility as arbitrarily stepping down. This is a pretty absolute solution, that I doubt the people saying it, also quoting that an apology doesn’t make everything alright … the the point of black-and-white thinking … isn’t this a school?

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Sep 18, 2008 at 10:04 pm

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Sep 18, 2008 at 3:02 pm

Wow … several news media organizations covering a situation involving two students who have admitted wrong doing, issued apology and are moving forward.

Someone remind me why Welty still holds his job after supporting an old boy’s club that has been found multiple times in a court of law to have disenfranchised women.

And this makes the school look good in comparison to two kids doing college age stuff, learning life, growing up, and attempting to apologize in the face of criticism?

And the student body continues to whine and complain over what? $20.

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Sep 18, 2008 at 10:02 pm

• P

Pissed off BulldogSep 18, 2008 at 2:35 pm

Outrageous. Send them out.

• P

Pissed off BulldogSep 18, 2008 at 9:35 pm

Outrageous. Send them out.

• P

Outrageous. Send them out.

JessupSep 18, 2008 at 2:16 pm

JessupSep 18, 2008 at 9:16 pm

JessupSep 18, 2008 at 9:16 pm

JessupSep 18, 2008 at 2:15 pm

JessupSep 18, 2008 at 9:15 pm

JessupSep 18, 2008 at 9:15 pm

• P

ProfessorSep 18, 2008 at 1:20 pm

Forget the allegations of improper credit card use and underage drinking. Mason deserves to be booted out for his grammar alone. Check out the letter posted at http://www.asi.csufresno.edu/documents/Mackeeletter_000.pdf. Is it too much to expect proper sentence structure? How about knowing the difference between “where” and were”.

Egh.

• P

ProfessorSep 18, 2008 at 8:20 pm

Egh.

• P

ProfessorSep 18, 2008 at 8:20 pm

Egh.

JessupSep 18, 2008 at 1:15 pm

Now lets add KMPH to the list of news organizations tracking this: http://www.kmph.com/Global/category.asp?C=102647&nav=menu612_1

Step down before FSU looks even worse!

JessupSep 18, 2008 at 8:15 pm

Step down before FSU looks even worse!

JessupSep 18, 2008 at 8:15 pm

Step down before FSU looks even worse!

Bradley NorrisSep 18, 2008 at 12:06 pm

I find it silly when people say, “They apologized so lets just drop it.”

Apologizing is one thing. Actually taking responsibility(stepping down) is another.
    A few years ago there was an ASI officer who stepped down from his position because he felt it would be better for ASI if he wasn’t there. This was the honorable and right thing to do.(http://collegian.csufresno.edu/archive/2006/10/25/news/as.shtml)
    Mason and Flores should take note and step down as well.

Like my mom always said, “You aren’t sorry, your’e just sorry you got caught.”

Do the right thing.

Bradley NorrisSep 18, 2008 at 7:06 pm

Do the right thing.

Bradley NorrisSep 18, 2008 at 7:06 pm

Do the right thing.

jared harperSep 18, 2008 at 11:31 am

If so many students on here that post consistently say that the two officers of ASI should be removed, then why dont they do something about it and go boot them out of that office?

tired of talk and no action with so many of you , im not that involved on campus but i recall a large group of students taking action last semester on the IRA fee and they made a big stink but it worked. they got my fee to go from $70 dollars to $52 and we all owe them for their dedication……its better than nothing and thats what you morons should be doing.

start a petition to boot them out. stop talking and do it! go on ahead and do something useful rather than just talk . Dont talk just do it!!! if you start doing it i know i will suport it.

jared harperSep 18, 2008 at 6:31 pm

jared harperSep 18, 2008 at 6:31 pm

JessupSep 18, 2008 at 11:18 am

Actually no they didnt…they get cell stipends, not handsets…not in the budget.

JessupSep 18, 2008 at 6:18 pm

JessupSep 18, 2008 at 6:18 pm

The truthSep 18, 2008 at 9:28 am

If the university is Saying there was no misuse i think i rather believe them instead of you sorry. Why do people belittle someone else when they do not agree i respect your comments so please respect mind and leave out the name calling

The truthSep 18, 2008 at 4:28 pm

The truthSep 18, 2008 at 4:28 pm

The truthSep 18, 2008 at 9:26 am

Did the administration before him purchase cell phones. Yes they did they all do every year that is nothing new it is for business use only, and the expensive ones they first bought did not do what they wanted and they took them back, and got cheaper ones. Plus from what i understand is they pay extra to have those phones. everything he did was approved, except for the things he had done that he apologized for. Dr o has said there has been no misuse of funds except for that 20 dollars.

The truthSep 18, 2008 at 4:26 pm

The truthSep 18, 2008 at 4:26 pm

JessupSep 18, 2008 at 9:04 am

The Truth — oh god, you’re such a small mind! They wouldn’t admit to it in their letter, because they would face PROSECUTION! You’re an idiot.

And yea, he has driven up and down the state — but wait a second? He did that with CSSA, with was a violation of the budget and another bad expense. Last year’s senate DID NOT APPROVE TRAVEL TO CSSA. He just wanted to go out and party, thats all. More espn zonne purchases! More alcohol! More cell phones!

Its time to rid ASI of these people.

JessupSep 18, 2008 at 4:04 pm

Its time to rid ASI of these people.

JessupSep 18, 2008 at 4:04 pm

Its time to rid ASI of these people.

The truthSep 18, 2008 at 8:59 am

They did not break the law there is no proof of that and there is no receipt of them buying alcohol on the retreat. All they have is that alcohol was being consumed in front of them and they apologized for not stopping it.

The truthSep 18, 2008 at 3:59 pm

The truthSep 18, 2008 at 3:59 pm

The truthSep 18, 2008 at 8:56 am

Plus your talking about representing the students well he has done a good job except for this one time. This summer he drove up to the capital and testified before cal congress to keep cal grants, advocate for higher education. He has been going up and down cal all summer meeting with other pres trying to make the csu stronger. These are only some of the things he has done and I rather look at those things than some bonehead mistake.

The truthSep 18, 2008 at 3:56 pm

The truthSep 18, 2008 at 3:56 pm

• I

IMPEACH MASON & FLORES! Impeach the Senate!Sep 18, 2008 at 8:51 am

Probation? You’ve got to be kidding me!

They should have been kicked off as officers immediately, once proof of receipts had been shown. Instead they were awarded because they submitted an letter of acknowledgment!

FACT: Mason and Flores broke the law and any trust students have/had in ASI. They misused their powers. They stole twice (June and July– 1X might be a mistake, 2X there’s a pattern here).

A strong and respectful ASI is more than just exchanging a UCAL or CAL or Trojan tshirt for an ASI tshirt. Please! What a joke! A strong and respectful ASI begins with leadership and setting the right examples.

The Senate needs to send a stronger message to all, or they become accomplices to Mason and Flores misdeeds.

Mason and Flores need to RESIGN.

If not, the Senate should IMPEACH them.

And, if not, the student body needs to IMPEACH the Senate!

The truthSep 18, 2008 at 8:51 am

First off it was a total of 20 dollars which he admits was a mistake and did not know that he had purchased them at the time. He also is paying it back so the students did not pay for it.

• I

IMPEACH MASON & FLORES! ImSep 18, 2008 at 3:51 pm

Probation? You’ve got to be kidding me!

Mason and Flores need to RESIGN.

If not, the Senate should IMPEACH them.

• I

Probation? You’ve got to be kidding me!

Mason and Flores need to RESIGN.

If not, the Senate should IMPEACH them.

The truthSep 18, 2008 at 3:51 pm

The truthSep 18, 2008 at 3:51 pm

• K

Kick Them OutSep 18, 2008 at 8:40 am

It disappoints me to see these actions of ASI executives. I know that a lot of people are saying that its no big deal when it really is a big deal. These students should be booted out of the ASI!!! I am not paying money for ASI fees included in my tuition for these students to go out and party with it!! Its not fair that they can use money that didnt even come out of their pockets to go out and buy drinks. If i wanted to use my money for it to be spent on buying alcohol then I would have done it myself! These students are a DISGRACE to Fresno State and its students and it doesnt help that this is all over the news either, but Im glad that they are getting the recognition they deserve 🙂 Seriously does Fresno State want these students to represent everyone??? I sure dont want them representing me.

• K

Kick Them OutSep 18, 2008 at 3:40 pm

• K

Kick Them OutSep 18, 2008 at 3:40 pm

JessupSep 18, 2008 at 3:39 pm

No matter what you say, it shows disrespect for the position, their authority, and ASI.These people need to be removed before they do more damage! Do we really want these unethical, lying execs representing us? Do we want them signing off on expenses? We we want them advocating for us?

I, for one, do not. It shows that they don’t hold themselves to standards. Get rid of ’em, quickly!

JessupSep 18, 2008 at 3:39 pm

JessupSep 18, 2008 at 8:39 am

• H

hate to see most of you in the real worldSep 18, 2008 at 8:00 am

Capitol punishment for the simple crimes. yeah if your in favor of taking the punishment to the fullest extent Grow up cause i can see non of you will be holding a Job for long. Once your all done with the secluded school environment problems, best of luck in the real world cause its much different than silly school. Most of you, and you know who you are, have a lot of learning to do. FOCUS ON THE IMPORTANT DONT WORRY ABOUT THE LITTLE THINGS. oh and the immature name calling only shows the world what kind of person you are. by the words you write i can see the immaturity so out of curiosity what do you expect of your elected leaders. Years later you will look back and see what im talking about.

• H

hate to see most of you in theSep 18, 2008 at 3:00 pm

• H

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Sep 18, 2008 at 2:17 am

THE ADVISOR

Hypothetical:
    We’re in a society right now which is riddled with corruption and scandal. Has anyone noticed that very seldom is something said or done until after the fact, and things that are said just prior are met with circumstances such as Anne Tremp’s? Why? An individual can only ask themselves this question, attempting to look to the future, hopefully not forgetting the moment, except that our minds can only kick ourselves for something after we notice we’ve done something wrong.

I don’t understand, in my own idealism … why perspective is after the fact. I’ve questioned crap like this for years and years. And yet, perspective, such as THE ADVISOR lends, is often the case. And, it is spot on the nose.

True, Mackee should have considered all of this, these circumstances, his actions … beforehand. Just as someone speeding on the highway should have considered their actions before getting a ticket. The fact is that I’ve been told for years in my idealism, and being a hard-nose for what is right and proper, especially in the work environment where incompetent people ‘make it up as they go along’, is that you can’t have these kind of high expectations for people. People will inherently do something wrong, against the rules, etc… not just because rules will be broken, but also because in the course of life you can’t always do everything right, in the moment, or looking toward the future.

So then, where is the balance? THE ADVISOR lends excellent perspective. There’s a lot of disdain on here for actions committed, but what about every single last one of us being responsible and doing the right thing, in the moment, at the right time. Factually speaking, and pragmatically, it does not happen.

So we’re left with accepting an apology, and expecting a resignation rather than moving forward? If everybody who ever did anything wrong, public spotlight, or self aware, took steps like these, taking it personal, we’d have a pretty jilted society.

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Sep 18, 2008 at 9:17 am

THE ADVISOR

Hypothetical:

THE ADVISOR

Hypothetical:

The 'I'Sep 18, 2008 at 2:10 am

great, now they’ve disgraced our school in the fresno bee and in the news. checkout

http://www.fresnobee.com/263/story/876216.html

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/local&id=6398059

dont they have enough sense to reesign?

The 'I'Sep 18, 2008 at 9:10 am

dont they have enough sense to reesign?

The 'I'Sep 18, 2008 at 9:10 am

dont they have enough sense to reesign?

• L

LisaSep 18, 2008 at 1:41 am

I was a part of the few who voted (not for mackee) and I have the right to say that he messed up, and yes, he should be removed from office
    🙂

• L

LisaSep 18, 2008 at 8:41 am

🙂

• L

LisaSep 18, 2008 at 8:41 am

🙂

THE ADVISORSep 18, 2008 at 1:35 am

A few things to remember when evaluating the current events in ASI at Fresno State:

1) PROBABLE CRIMINAL OFFENSE. Although to general knowledge, it is not certain wether Mason or Flores provided alcohol to the underage students at the ASI retreat, underage drinking did occur during the retreat. If logic serves you well, the underage students accomplished drinking that evening or set of evenings by either bringing alcohol themselves in their luggage, or someone at the retreat provided alcohol to the minors. Providing alcohol to minors is punishable under the US law under the criminal code. If it can be made certain that Mason and Flores provided to minors, all students at Fresno State should demand that their Senate take up a process for impeachment or immediate removal of office of the two violating parties. This is a criminal offense, and thus keeping people in these positions of authority that have violated US law should be dismissed. The letters from Mason and Flores both state that underage students where drinking in their presence, more specifically, in their rooms. This is a very gray area that should be brought forward with more speculation and investigation to make sure that no law was broken.

2) ANNIE TREMP. As facts are being discovered, it is known, as printed in The Collegian, that Tremp began her suspicion of Mason’s activites early in the summer of this year. Something should tell you that when there is suspicious activity going on in administrative positions, there usually is something being done wrong. From what is known, Mason asked for the removal of Tremp. What is the reason? Well, she might have been snooping around in Mason’s backyard and he didn’t like that. Maybe she was going to blow some smoke on his wrong doings and by protecting himself asked to have her removed. In any company today, or school, we all know this is not correct. You cannot fire someone for disagreeing with superiors especially if what it is that you are questioning seems to be out of disorderly conduct or violating the companys bylaws. This is wrongful termination and there is great potential for litigation. Which cannot help the struggling ASI government that operates on a budget of about $700,000. A mere amount of money when compared to various ASI governments in the CSU system. It seems that Fresno State has problems with getting people they don’t like out of the ranks.

3) TRUST. Hypothetically speaking, if Mason and Flores were not removed from office. If they were kept in probation and nothing else occurs. How do you think students are going to react to this? How do you think ASI Senators are going to feel when working around these “top officials” of the student government? There will be no trust. ASI will not work cooperatively and efficiently because whatever an executive does, it will require more scrutiny than it did in the past. It will leave a bureaucratic trail and cause low morale in the workplace, and low morale amongst the unpaid student senators, low morale in the student body. Maybe hitherto, our national politics have taught us that it is OK to do wrong and still be allowed to serve the people. But it is here where students and student senators must take a bold stance, that our government leadership is held to higher standards and nothing astray from those standards deserves total scrutiny. Think hypothetically, if Mason and Flores stay, it will be an awkward place to work.

4) ACCOUNTABILITY. Overlooking the alcohol charge on a company credit card is not copasetic. Mason has repeatedly said that “as your President” and his biography on the ASI website states that he “bleeds red” with passion for serving students. Lets be realistic, if you have as much passion for students as you say you do, then wouldn’t you be more careful about what gets paid on a company credit card? Wouldn’t you be more careful about who you decide to consume alcohol with? Wouldn’t you be more careful about how you carry yourself in your office, of which “as your President” designates the highest office in our student government? The student senate has to hold the wrong doings of the leadership accountable. If Mason and Flores remain in probation, what kind of precedence is the Senate setting? This is not a matter to be overlooked and not a matter to be threaded lightly.

5) ACCEPTING THE APOLOGY. This is no judgement on who Mason and Flores are as individuals. These friends of ours choose to make a decision, know it is our turn and the Senate’s turn to teach them a lesson. Rightfully so, they deserve to make a statement of apology to students. A public one would even make more sense. These are positions that have their own politics involved subsequently, and Mason and Flores can not take this personal. Once you get into politics, understand that you can not take things personal. If you take things personal in politics, politics will kill you. Besides, Mason said that he is here to serve the students. Well serve the students by respectfully resigning and understanding that you did something wrong. As for Flores, who mentioned that she was ready to step down a few months ago to senior ASI officials, then make your exit. Good riddance.

THE ADVISORSep 18, 2008 at 8:35 am

THE ADVISORSep 18, 2008 at 8:35 am

Charles W. FrankSep 18, 2008 at 8:18 am

WOW! “The Facts” and I have had a bit of an interesting exchange. What I can say for some of the rest that I’ve read since posting … I’m absolutly amazed at the lack of intelligence and ignorance displayed by members of our campus (or community). If you think Mackee & Sandra’s behavior was wrong … consider some of your own words.

Some Facts: Mackee & Sandra could face further action. It could include such things mentioned as removal from office, suspension, and possibly criminal invesitgation. They’ve admitted doing wrong. Beyond that, someone who talks a lot of trash, while not being directly involved in the situation or having all of the facts, is no better than the names or words they throw around. Kind of sad. Exemplification of the whole “joke” I was talking about when high school graduates feel entitled to a college education … some people just don’t belong.

I heard last semester during elections that it’s mostly a “popularity contest” – said in context of high school popularity contest. What more can the campus community expect when only 5% of the population is voting … those that go out and get the votes will win. The rest just sit back and complain later, after the fact. If any of you think you can do better … run for ASI office … go out and get votes. Ultimatly, it is the same as a US Presidential campaign … the way people think … what I said before about the blind leading the blind … all it becomes is a popularity contest without conviction.

Speaking of popularity … on my big issue pointing out that you can’t separate college and alcohol no matter what ‘laws’ are passed, and the amibguity between age groups represented on college campuses … one of the most popular college campus pass times is partying and drinking (not just Fresno, most college campuses across the US).

People who party often, tend to be popular, as many other people involved in the same activity know them. If the problem is the level of qualifications for those in office … maybe more qualified people should be more popular or be more active. MAYBE, just MAYBE, if qualifications matter … everyone should hang out with (i.e. make more popular) those with better qualifications … but this is not the case, and niether are the current circumstances.

And furthering this … if you want to see something different … “change” like every US presidential candidate every 4 years touts (except a 1-term incumbant), then YOU have to DO (action) something, rather than just TALKING (passive).

Here’s an excellent example: I’m just talking, here about a situation I’m not party to or aware of. I do only what I want, when I want, and I do it up to my level of expectations (usually higher than others’). When I DO something, people around me usually recognize it. When I talk, people usually just ignore me, or pass my words off as whatever they want to think about them, and say whatever they want to say in response … again, just more talk.

So … as previously mentioned, talk a lot of trash about the situation if you want … but don’t expect anybody to heed blind, stupid, or otherwise ignorant words unless you think you’re that much better to DO something. Pretty simple.

Charles W. FrankSep 18, 2008 at 1:18 am

• R

RyanSep 17, 2008 at 11:56 pm

That fact of the matter is that Mackee Mason should have been removed a long time ago for totally not fitting the qualifcations needed to be president. The only way he ever got elected is because one, nobody cares, and two, all of his ahem, clients voted for him. He should have never been in such a position. He is not even qualified to be one of the bums who dig through the trash for cans and bottles around campus, much less be the president of ASI. I say throw him in San Quentin where he can’t screw over the very people he was “elected” to represent. Everyone has had enough of a scumbag like him and would like to see the loser gone.

• R

RyanSep 18, 2008 at 6:56 am

• F

Former ASI Retreat AttendeeSep 17, 2008 at 11:55 pm

I think this is all too lame! Mason was stupid. ASI is stupid. They’re just a bunch of preps who think they’re better than everyone else on campus. They don’t do anything for the student body but drink and party all the time. It’s about time that some stupid guy ruin it for them and reveal what ASI really is like. I attended one of their retreats a few years ago…and all this alcohol news doesn’t surprise me. There were underage drinking at the retreat as well…and the counselors pretended like they don’t know anything.

I can’t believe Mason and Flores were the only ones on probation. First, they broke a law, they should be suspended at the least. Second, the rest of ASI who were involved should also be on probation.

• F

Former ASI Retreat AttendeeSep 18, 2008 at 6:55 am

The FactsSep 17, 2008 at 11:52 pm

I would like to express the importance of recognizing the upstanding members of ASI who DO follow the code of conduct and understand the responsibilities that their elected positions hold. It appears that there are three executives in ASI, and now only one who is NOT on probation. As a Student, I personally thank your effort to maintain integrity for your elected position. It gives me faith that our university can overcome this adversity by replacing its irresponsible members with those who act professionally – hopefully restoring respect for their elected positions.

Much Thanks.

The FactsSep 18, 2008 at 6:52 am

Much Thanks.

The FactsSep 17, 2008 at 10:59 pm

Tanya, Elizabeth, and Diana…

Your statement is clearly an appeal to emotions, but that does not carry much weight in the grown up world. As members of elected office, there is a higher level of responsibility they must adhere to. It is called a code of conduct. There are things we all do on our own time that we can’t do at work – this is no different. Apology is not enough. There are rules that must, and will, be followed.

Charles W. FrankSep 17, 2008 at 10:59 pm

“The Facts” … I like what you have to say. Take note I did not vote, and I’m still saying what I want. I do have a problem with anonimity … because it can be revealed (but only on this premise); I have no qualms with showing my name and backing up what I have to say. I view anonimity as someone trying to hide something (like the adage about a politican with a mustache or beard) …

You may be right about putting off listeners on the pretext of attacking religion as a joke (because the context is not as much warranted as the contrast I’m attempting) … I’m a believer that organized religion, and the extreme that people take it to, is a bit of a joke, and that objectivity is lost in turning a blind eye to anyting (thus “dogma”) … rather, not the dogma or religion, but the dogma of an opinionated society without objectivity, which partially does come from the extensive dogma in the United States’ primary religion: Christianity (thus my put-off inclusion). Blind faith and belief in anyting (purely right or wrong, and believe everything that you’re told to believe) inherently harm’s objectivity, education, etc… Apologies to the offended … this is my belief (as you may have and are entitled to yours). For the record: I am not completely anti-religious, and also believe that dogma helps build strength and character in some (those involved in religion), which helps those inclined get through life.

The FactsSep 18, 2008 at 5:59 am

Tanya, Elizabeth, and Diana…

Charles W. FrankSep 18, 2008 at 5:59 am

Mackee Mason is an IDIOTSep 17, 2008 at 10:55 pm

Mackee Mason CLEARLY lied about not knowing of the drinks. Does he really expect people to believe he didn’t realize he had been overcharged when he signed the tab?! I don’t know about you but when i get charged several dollars more I take notice. Maybe he just figured, “eh, it’s the student’s money anyways”. Does he take people to be THAT stupid? Mackee Mason is an insult to people who think.

Mackee Mason is an IDIOTSep 18, 2008 at 5:55 am

• 1

1 of 23000Sep 17, 2008 at 10:54 pm

Don’t worry i bet more than just a probation will occur soon enough. don’t worry

• 1

1 of 23000Sep 18, 2008 at 5:54 am

Tanya, Elizabeth, and DianaSep 17, 2008 at 10:53 pm

I think u people are being unfair! You’re just talking without really knowing these people, if you really knew them u would know that they really care about the student affairs. Please tell me who has not drank when they are underage?! Everyone is making this issue a bigger deal then what it really is. Let’s just get over this, they admitted and apologized for their mistakes, it happens to everyone.

We support u MacKee and Sandra!
    Everyone makes mistakes.

Tanya, Elizabeth, and DianaSep 18, 2008 at 5:53 am

We support u MacKee and Sandra!
    Everyone makes mistakes.

The FactsSep 17, 2008 at 10:48 pm

Charles Frank (Chip)…

I agree with most of your statements that I read. You must understand though, that from an argumentative standpoint, bringing up religion and then to call it a joke in this context does nothing to promote your argument about the real issue – it only puts off your listeners and jeopardizes YOUR objectivity (not mine). For the most part, I stopped reading after that statement, and I probably was not the only one. This does not make me ignorant by any stretch. You really know nothing about me to make that claim.

The FactsSep 18, 2008 at 5:48 am

Charles Frank (Chip)…

The truthSep 17, 2008 at 10:43 pm

There is proof he bought drinks for himself and of drinking age individuals I am not debating that fact. Which I believe he said he did not know that he did, but when he was confronted about it, and realized what had occur apologized and offered to pay that money back.

The truthSep 18, 2008 at 5:43 am

Mackee Mason is an IDIOTSep 17, 2008 at 10:36 pm

There is also proof that he bought drinks more than once on ASI credit cards…. they’re called receipts. What is your supposed lie? Facts are facts and they all point to Mackee Mason is an IDIOT.

Mackee Mason is an IDIOTSep 18, 2008 at 5:36 am

The FactsSep 17, 2008 at 10:33 pm

Hey Chip,

Just because students didn’t vote does NOT mean that they cannot express themselves as they please. The student government that is supposed to represent all of us, and we CAN and SHOULD hold them accountable for their actions! The reason I didn’t vote was frankly because I watched the debates on youtube and none of them appealed to me! Mackee Mason was the only one who could articulate himself, but that is not the only qualification for ASI president, and that does not make him worthy to receive my vote. That brings up another point… maybe if there were people running that had more than just a heartbeat as a qualification, there might be more student participation. Those debates were laughable.

Fact of the matter Chip, I am still a student and I can and WILL hold my government responsible for their actions.

And about the anonymity issue of posting here – there is no problem with people protecting their identity publicly online. Period. That being said, rude statements with no backing really contribute nothing to the discussion and should just be ignored.

The FactsSep 18, 2008 at 5:33 am

Hey Chip,

The truthSep 17, 2008 at 10:31 pm

I am saying that unless there is proof its a lie because you have nothing to support your statement. I understand that people drank in front of him on the retreat, there is proof of that which makes it a fact. Please stop trying to guess who I am, and saying certain people are stupid because they are part of a fraternity. That shows your ignorance. This is a public forum and i respect peoples opinion as long as they are not calling people names. If you think he should be removed that is your opinion and that is fine with me i am not saying that.I am also not saying you are stupid for thinking that.

The truthSep 18, 2008 at 5:31 am

Charles W. FrankSep 17, 2008 at 10:24 pm

RE: “Mackee Mason is an IDIOT on 17-September-2008 10:05 pm”
    1.) I am not Mackee Mason.
    2.) Your anonimity, rather than coming forward with your name gives NO weight to your remarks. If you plan to slander someone, or commit libel, you need come forward with your NAME, and launch a proper complaint with the proper authorities.
    3.) I am not a member of SAE, and I do not like Greek organizations, nor what they stand for in today’s college atmosphere.
    4.) I am 28 years old, and I do not drink all that often (some might consider this being an adult), nor would I join in any Greek drinking parties or organizations.

RE: “The Facts on 17-September-2008 10:10 pm”
    Comparing religion to a joke might be a bit off topic, but the fact that you stopped reading (as you so say) also displays ignorance which disallows necessary degrees of objectivity. May I point you to an article in the Fresno Bee or Collegian, published a week or two ago, about the first anual Heretic’s Barbeque in Fresno, where a member of a local relgious congregation joined in the festivities after attending religious services. His view is proper, rather than blind. (Ever heard “Three Blind Mice” … apply it.)

Facts, as you quote:
    Members must not consume illegal drugs (no accusations) or EXCESSIVELY CONSUME ALCOHOL (no accusations). Key word being “excessive.”

I do agree with comments to the effect that those under 21 participating in drinking should be held accountable as well … under the assumption that they’re 18 or older … they are responsible for their own actions.

“The Facts”: If you were the president or CEO of a company, or a member of a political organization, would you go anywhere on business without your company or political CC to charge purchases to?

And I still contend … you cannot completely separate alcohol and college, no matter what the circumstances … Anyone who would deny this obvious fact might be considered a fool. You can try and regulate whatever you want … but people still speed on the highway despite signs. Some get caught … others get away scott free. And as I’ve mentioned, responsibility has been taken, and what Dr. Olario said … that adequate punishment has been doled out by the Senate.

(I’m backing the Senate’s position as well, if you want to attack that, too.)

Charles W. FrankSep 18, 2008 at 5:24 am

1.) I am not Mackee Mason.

Facts, as you quote:

Mackee Mason is an IDIOTSep 17, 2008 at 10:19 pm

“The Truth”

You must be one of his stupid SAE brothers. Try Reading the article first. From his own mouth, “I made an error in judgment and consumed alcohol in my room, some underage students also chose to consume alcohol in my presence.â€Â -Mackee Mason

Mackee Mason is an IDIOTSep 18, 2008 at 5:19 am

“The Truth”

You must be one of his stupid SAE brothers. Try Reading the article first. From his own mouth, “I made an error in judgment and consumed alcohol in my room, some underage students also chose to consume alcohol in my presence.” -Mackee Mason

The FactsSep 17, 2008 at 10:18 pm

Hey truth, just because there is not rock hard proof doesn’t make it a lie. This is a public forum for us to express yourself as we please. Furthermore, if you’re not Mackee, who are you to say it’s a lie? hmmmmmmm………

The FactsSep 18, 2008 at 5:18 am

The truthSep 17, 2008 at 10:12 pm

This is not Mackee and unless you have proof of these allegations of underage drinking which you do not then you need to stop spreading lies.

The truthSep 18, 2008 at 5:12 am

The FactsSep 17, 2008 at 10:10 pm

Calling religion a joke is quite a bit off topic, Mr Chip – I stopped after I read that bull.

Anyway, the ASI Code of Conduct states:
    “While attending school-related or Associated Students sponsored events, members must not consume illegal drugs or excessively consume alcohol. If a member is not of legal drinking age, he or she must refrain from alcohol consumption.”….. “If two-thirds of the senators then in office vote in the affirmative that the member did, in fact, violate this code, he or she shall be immediately removed from office.”

Are these underage members being removed from their positions? According to the code of conduct which must be followed, they should be removed- with no exceptions. We must also find out if any of those who were of legal age were drinking “excessively”, if so they should be out as well.

As a side note, I also don’t see why these people are given a credit card in the first place…. the smart way to do this is to submit receipts to be reviewed and reimbursed for the necessary expenses.

The FactsSep 18, 2008 at 5:10 am

Anyway, the ASI Code of Conduct states:

Mackee Mason is an IDIOTSep 17, 2008 at 10:05 pm

It looks like Mackee Mason “the truth” or “charles frank” has gotten a chance to read the comments. Hey idiot, you make yourself obvious. Why don’t you go get drunk at SAE and buy kids alcohol. This is absolutely revolting and I can’t believe you are still in office. as a student i will voice my opinion of how you should be removed from office. ive seen you hand drinks to my 18 and sometimes 17 year old sorority sisters. it’s wrong and when you use our student money to do it it’s revolting. You are a disgrace to this university

CW FrankSep 17, 2008 at 10:05 pm

Any comments or questions: You can see me around campus and direct them to me, in my complete lack of anonymity. I’m objective if you’re reasonable, and I’m a devil’s-advocate if you’re obtuse.

1.) I’m more embarrassed at the sheer anonymity here, especially negative remarks made anonymously.

2.) You should be ashamed of yourselves, every single one of you, if you did not vote and are now complaining, or if you’re just throwing crap to do so because you only think it’s something you wouldn’t do or get caught-up in (easy to ride a horse, and say something after the fact; easier said than done).

3.) I expect criticism, but I laugh at people who do so anonymously and with more words of foul context than continuity backed by reason or even experienced opinion.

4.) Cheers mates! Bottoms-Up! Let’s have another! It’s on the student’s body!

5.) Last note: responsibility has been taken … so much negativity after the fact is unwarranted. Anyone who knows anything about how the world works, also knows that it moves forward, despite setbacks.

Mackee Mason is an IDIOTSep 18, 2008 at 5:05 am

CW FrankSep 18, 2008 at 5:05 am

• K

KelvinSep 17, 2008 at 9:52 pm

I think many people are seeing this the wrong way. The matter that we should all be concerned about is NOT that Mason and Flores used student fees to purchase alcohol, what we need to be concerned for is that violation of public trust (our trust); (After all, they are going to have to pay back what they spent on alcohol as part of their “punishmentâ€Â.)

• K

KelvinSep 18, 2008 at 4:52 am

I think many people are seeing this the wrong way. The matter that we should all be concerned about is NOT that Mason and Flores used student fees to purchase alcohol, what we need to be concerned for is that violation of public trust (our trust); (After all, they are going to have to pay back what they spent on alcohol as part of their “punishment”.)

• K

KelvinSep 17, 2008 at 9:46 pm

Misuse of student funds and a violation of public trust entitled to ASI elected officials should warrant something other than insignificant punishment like probation. The student body at Fresno State elected these Mason and Flores to be representatives of the students our school. A violation of that public trust demands a more severe punishment. We need to let ASI officials understand that they are not above the rules. By simply placing Mason and Flores on probation for the remaining of his term, we accept their behaviors as something that “happensâ€ÂÃ¢€”something unavoidable; and we are setting the school up for someone else to come along and engage in the same violations of public trust as Mason and Flores have. After all, the worst that they have to fear is probation and the repayment of few dollars on the ASI credit cards.

I say we call for the impeachment of president Mason and vice president Flores. After all ASI is a democracy of the students at Fresno State, and as such, we should be, able to replace those who do not act with the best intentions for students and for Fresno State.

• K

KelvinSep 18, 2008 at 4:46 am

Misuse of student funds and a violation of public trust entitled to ASI elected officials should warrant something other than insignificant punishment like probation. The student body at Fresno State elected these Mason and Flores to be representatives of the students our school. A violation of that public trust demands a more severe punishment. We need to let ASI officials understand that they are not above the rules. By simply placing Mason and Flores on probation for the remaining of his term, we accept their behaviors as something that “happens”””something unavoidable; and we are setting the school up for someone else to come along and engage in the same violations of public trust as Mason and Flores have. After all, the worst that they have to fear is probation and the repayment of few dollars on the ASI credit cards.

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Sep 17, 2008 at 9:44 pm

IN ALL FAIRNESS:

I was working on a project with ASI near the beginning of the semester. While preparing for a going away party for a member of the staff … cost was a concern.

In working with Sandra and Mackee … they have the best interest of the students in mind. I have worked with both, and I know this from experience. They are BOTH serious individuals, and serious about getting things done. Hands down.

If you don’t know them, and you don’t have experience with them in work context, then you have NO right to say anything or complain.

Re: Student Fee Increases and complaining that this (alcohol allegations) is what it was for: Patently Incorrect, and a poorly skewed comment.

I objected to (Dr. O & Dr. Welty) on the premise that the fee increases were first voted down by the students (about 5% voted), and then it was put to task by the Student Fee Advisory committee.

The Student Fee Advisory committee still recommended a $52 increase (opposed to the $70-something put to vote) as an absolute minimum, needed to keep certain student services up and running.

Do you want to pay full price for tickets to sporting events? Or would you rather pay poor-college-student prices? That’s what your funds help provide. Considering the Valley’s support for the Bulldogs … any college student who wants to see a live sporting event should not complain about this, considering the rates are so much lower … and any popular sporting event could probably give us students fewer tickets to absorb, and sell public tickets at HIGHER prices (making more $ for the school).

I object to the fact that Athletics functions receive the majority of the money from these student fee increases. I believe school is for education, and the $20/$32 should be reversed ($32 for scholastic functions, $20 for educational functions).

As per the way Sandra explained it to me: These fees are needed to continue providing certain services to students, or they go away. In addition, as reported in school news sources last semester … we are one of few CSU campuses (and a large one) which did not have these fees until voted in last semester … and we pay $52 additional, rather than the $100+ that other CSU campuses tack-on.

In other words … stop complaining. And comparatively … to when this issues was caught and brought to light … $ spent illegitimately is minimal, rather than a whole semester of student-funded alcohol consumption caught after-the-fact (which would still be minimal, overall, in comparison to the funds which ASI hands out, and primarily related to business functions).

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Sep 18, 2008 at 4:44 am

IN ALL FAIRNESS:

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Sep 17, 2008 at 9:34 pm

RE: Annie Tremp

I think the way this situation has been portrayed … Annie Tremp has been unfairly treated.

However, I think it is fair to note: Student Government should be run ONLY by Student Government, and not by hired staff of the school, or any other organization. A staff advisory, and involvement such as student seats on campus boards and panels is warranted. Direct, school-funded involvement and oversight of government is not. This is why student government is in charge of school-funded staff at ASI. As the Student Government executive committee is directly responsible for their staff … they have the right(s), pertaining to all federal and California employment laws, to do as they wish with their staff.

Student government represents STUDENTS, in context of the school, and is an integral function. It is not just the school governing the students. Any influence from school administration over STUDENT Government affairs, is inappropriate.

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Sep 18, 2008 at 4:34 am

RE: Annie Tremp

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Sep 17, 2008 at 9:29 pm

Who can tell me Welty hasn’t purchased drinks on school funds?

Isn’t that part of business and politics? Not a direct part, but indirect … in that you go out to dinner, but who the hell is going to sit there and audit a bill, saying: “Who ordered the margarita, you have to pay for it yourself, despite the fact alcohol has already been involved in this meeting as a typical matter of social agenda.” “Waitress (or Waiter) … can you fix this and bring it back.”

Even if you were to broach that embarrassing situation in just the right manner … what if no one fesses up to purchasing drinks (despite sitting next to plates) … then the person is left to pay for them irrespective, bringing ‘alcohol’ against a ‘substance-free pledge’ into the situation.

Talk about jokes?

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Sep 18, 2008 at 4:29 am

Talk about jokes?

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Sep 17, 2008 at 9:25 pm

INF.) See, we have a lot of jokes on this campus, not just ASI.

JOKE.) Blind-faith or belief in anything, including “God” and ‘Christianity’ via influence rather than your own experience. This includes politics like Obama-Biden or McCain-Palin … if you have no objectivity and just root for anything blindly (including the Bulldogs) … who are you to judge anybody or anything, already having bias?

So if ASI is a joke, so is all other government.

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Sep 18, 2008 at 4:25 am

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Sep 17, 2008 at 9:23 pm

7.) My own joke: let’s throw students out of school who just do the minimum and generally incompetent.

8.) A continuation of jokes: Keeping complacent instructors who have tenure, just so they can receive a paycheck and pass on complacence into our society and the workplace. Better yet, let’s encourage more complacence from the administrative staff at our college who think they are immune, and treat students poorly, by continuing to employ them irrespective of their bad attitudes, and completely neglect to write articles on poor attitudes like this at our college.

(In other words: Why the hell do people only complain about what comes across media / news wire, rather than doing something about things that really matter for overall attitude and perspective? Is this not an educational institution?)

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Sep 18, 2008 at 4:23 am

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Sep 17, 2008 at 9:18 pm

6.) (A continuation of jokes): Removal from office, without first considering reality.

a.) From a primarily ‘Christian’ community, also a primarily conservative community, using your own lifestyle against you: Forgiveness.

b.) In letters, Mackee & Sandra have apologized for the transgressions they have committed, admitting to them …

c.) Throwing either or both out now, having a re-call or re-elect, would throw our student government into chaos for the rest of the year … (dummies)

d.) 95%+ of you whiners & complainers will eventually sell-out, do something wrong and attempt to cover it up, make excuses and justifications in denial, etc… don’t complain unless you plan on standing up and doing what’s right your entire lives (unless you plan on excusing and justifying away your words & actions in the here and now).

e.) Revisiting #1 … your words are hollow if you’re anonymous. Revisiting #2 … if you didn’t vote at all, you have no right to complain.

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Sep 18, 2008 at 4:18 am

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Sep 17, 2008 at 9:10 pm

5.) (A continuation of jokes): “The Collegian left multiple phone and e-mail messages for Gary Nelson, student activities adviser, and Coon regarding the issue. The messages were not returned.”

We’re on such a small campus … do what real reporters and media do … seek them out, hunt them down, side-line them and ask questions on the spot.

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Sep 18, 2008 at 4:10 am

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Sep 17, 2008 at 9:09 pm

4.) “ASI is and always has been a joke.â€Â

Let me tell you another joke: Student labs on campus having broken computers for more than a semester. Complain about that.

Let me tell you another joke: Separating college and alcohol, in any poorly attempted context of our ambiguity-driven society (dogma).

Let me tell you another joke: The magic number 18 (becoming an adult in the eyes of the law). The pseudo-magic numbers 13-16, when the ‘law’ can charge a minor as an adult. The pseudo-magic number 21, when you can purchase alcohol and the concept of drinking loses it’s novel appeal (eventually). The ambiguity between being able to protect your country, vote, and do adult things without parental consent, but not considered ‘fully responsible.’

Let me tell you another joke: “Your inner child.”

Let me tell you another joke: Excuses and justifications, even from adults, including college students who don’t complete assignments on time … otherwise known as whiners and complainers …

Let me tell you another joke: Classes that cater to the needs of students who receive scholarships for Athletics, only to eventually drop-out, and the money associated with this inherent waste.

Let me tell you another joke: A bachelor’s degree is a sign of stability, and the entitlement to college if you complete high school.

Some of these are some mighty interesting jokes on perspective. ASI is and always will be here, as s function of any school to have a student organized government.

What is not a joke: Inmates run the prison. (Prison being school, instructors being the guards, and admin being complacent.)

What is not a joke: Censored speech, not to mention lost freedom due to giving over control to government without checks and balances.

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Sep 18, 2008 at 4:09 am

4.) “ASI is and always has been a joke.”

• Q

QuestionSep 17, 2008 at 9:05 pm

What happen to the students who where underage and drinking.
    Answer- nothing

Why do we always hate on the supplier the students who where drinking should also be held accountable for what happen

• Q

QuestionSep 18, 2008 at 4:05 am

Answer- nothing

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Sep 17, 2008 at 8:56 pm

3.) Approximately 5% of students voted for the current student government execs (or some obtusely low count) … if you didn’t vote at all, you have NO right to complain (I did not vote).

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Sep 18, 2008 at 3:56 am

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Sep 17, 2008 at 8:55 pm

2.) Don̢۪t judge a situation you̢۪re not in.

1.) If you̢۪re posting comments anonymously, especially libel, they amount to nothing. Your real and anonymous personalities are as scummy as your remarks and claims you make.

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Sep 18, 2008 at 3:55 am

2.) Don’t judge a situation you’re not in.

1.) If you’re posting comments anonymously, especially libel, they amount to nothing. Your real and anonymous personalities are as scummy as your remarks and claims you make.

The truthSep 17, 2008 at 8:49 pm

They did not spend massive money on entertainment if you where present at the ASI meeting tonight you would have herd Dr. O say that they have found no misuse of funds. So stop sayings these things when there is no proof.

The truthSep 18, 2008 at 3:49 am

The truthSep 17, 2008 at 8:47 pm

First off lets get the facts out there
    1) At the retreat they did not spend student money on alcohol that was purchased with their own money.
    2) The money that was mishandled was 20 dollars which he did not know at the time was for alcohol. As he states in the paper he did not know until two weeks ago.
    3) That comment about him trying to fire someone to save his butt is untrue and unfounded, just because she says it does not make it true the collegian needs find other evidence other than her word before putting that type of allegation in the paper.
    4) Yes we hold these individuals to higher standards that is why he apologized for what happen and came clean in a state which the paper did fully represent. Why can̢۪t you except that it was a mistake they have been punished let̢۪s move on. Mackee has done good things for the students and will keep doing those things.
    5) There no ASI by-law or in the ASI credit card policy that says he can not buy alcohol during these trips it is just discouraged.

It is a big deal when our funds as students are being mishandled. However if you look at what Mackee was doing at the time of the mishandled 20 dollars, he was traveling and going to meeting up and down the state at different university that his food and bed are paid for, he is over 21 and at dinner why couldn’t he have a drink if he wants. On the underage drinking he made a mistake by not stopping it but he admits it and regrets its that is enough for me. Please if you do not know the facts stop making outlandish comments about Mackee or Sandra they have booth worked extremely hard for students lets not forget that.

LETS MOVE ON

The truthSep 18, 2008 at 3:47 am

First off lets get the facts out there
    4) Yes we hold these individuals to higher standards that is why he apologized for what happen and came clean in a state which the paper did fully represent. Why can’t you except that it was a mistake they have been punished let’s move on. Mackee has done good things for the students and will keep doing those things.

LETS MOVE ON

• R

REMOVE THEM FROM OFFICE!Sep 17, 2008 at 8:41 pm

If they are really concerned about the greater good of the student body they both would resign from their positions!!! Who cares about the fact they drank, that’s minor compared to the massive amount of our student money they spent on personal entertainment. It wasn’t just a one time thing, it happened multiple times and will continue to happen unless something is done about it. Mackee and Sandra either need to take full responsibility for their actions and repay all the money they spent, be sanctioned by the university and RESIGN from their positions,. If not the Senate needs to stand up for the students and get them out of there before any more damage can be done.

• R

REMOVE THEM FROM OFFICE!Sep 18, 2008 at 3:41 am

Concerned BulldogSep 17, 2008 at 7:53 pm

Britney — exactly, thats why we need to boot these idiots out of office…the money needs to be spent on legitimate expenses, not their fun times…

Concerned BulldogSep 18, 2008 at 2:53 am

Britney SpearsSep 17, 2008 at 7:36 pm

It’s unfortunate that two individuals making a couple of bad decisions are projecting such a negative image onto ASI. ASI really does exist to serve students–look at its budget and see how many hundreds of thousands of dollars are spent for student activities, events, and programs.

Britney SpearsSep 18, 2008 at 2:36 am

• H

hahaSep 17, 2008 at 7:22 pm

what an idiot. im glad the truth is finally out.

• H

hahaSep 18, 2008 at 2:22 am

• P

Pissed off BulldogSep 17, 2008 at 6:45 pm

These two scumbag hypocrites need to be removed from office NOW. The Senate even considering to keep them is a joke!

How the

• P

Pissed off BulldogSep 18, 2008 at 1:45 am

How the

• P

Pissed Off StudentSep 17, 2008 at 6:37 pm

I am extremely angry that the Senate is even considering keeping these two unethical, irresponsible, and inept students in their positions! I am entirely at a loss for words on how they have disrespected ASI, their positions, and themselves. I’m sure this will be in the news and papers tomorrow, and once again unethical scumbags give our University a bad name.

If the Senate does not terminate them, then I will personally start a recall petition to have a special election to remove them. This pathetic and they need to leave NOW.

Apart from that, I hope they are given criminal punishment for their behavior and reprimanded by the University. This type of behavior cannot be tolerated!

DisgustedSep 17, 2008 at 6:37 pm

I’m proud of you Mackee Mason. You set a great role model as a student body president….

How pathetic! You should be ashamed.

• P

Pissed Off StudentSep 18, 2008 at 1:37 am

DisgustedSep 18, 2008 at 1:37 am

How pathetic! You should be ashamed.

• I

Infuriated!!Sep 17, 2008 at 6:12 pm

This is very hard for me to react to so i’m glad we got this comment box, because
    this is absolutely infuriating…
    I do not judge their character or even criticize or condemn them for doing this
    to begin with! The problem I have is the fact that they are elected officials and held
    to higher standards than you and I…
    it’s too bad I cannot publicly respond–because the reporter did give me that chance
    today, but because of my appointed position their is a conflict of interest and don’t
    want my opinion reflecting my “organization”.

I believe they should be punished fairly–like be removed from their positions, because
    evidently they are not suited for this job. They had to be discovered and now a good person I know will possibly lose her job.
    I don’t think being let off with a “slap on the hand” is an example set well to others
    who violate rules–especially our school leadership…
    And a side note–i DO agree that this is very ironic, with Mackee being against and
    affliated with lowering the drinking age and that campaign.. It just reflects poorly
    on our school–and just as i have been in the past…these two and whomever else
    should be reprimanded to the fullest! “/
    Sorry Mackee and Sandra–this is my political and just opinion of you and your
    actions..not your person! because, i KNOW you and your not bad people just
    made a mistake at the wrong time…in offce!

• I

Infuriated!!Sep 18, 2008 at 1:12 am

this is absolutely infuriating…
    to higher standards than you and I…

• L

LeoSep 17, 2008 at 5:33 pm

Also, If Mackee didn’t do it then let him resume his position, as for Sandra, she apologized all you can ask for don’t insult her.

• L

LeoSep 18, 2008 at 12:33 am

• L

LeoSep 17, 2008 at 5:30 pm

OK, well for those who say its not a big deal, well it is, for anyone that says it isn’t come on. I know them both and making this type of mistake where they should be setting the example. If this is all true(Mackee’s issue) then remove him. How many people have been around what Sandra was said to be doing? I would think most of us right? Set an example though, its harder for people to tell me something because i don’t hold her position. As for Mackee who is ASI President (not RedZone) then kick him out, i wouldn’t even think they should use the credit card for personal reasons as they used it for, even if they are on a retreat.

For someone to say they don’t like people who act all whinny about their money being wasted, who are you.? Just because every student and i mean every student doesn’t pay their full tuition(meaning the part the state pays), that does not mean we don’t want to see the part that we do pay go to what bought.

Just because everyone is allowed their own opinion, doesn’t mean they should say anything. Especially if its in such a negative way to call people names and insult them when they make a mistake.

Even if it is just a thousandth of a cent they take, its still mine right? I don’t intend that to be used for alcohol.

• L

LeoSep 18, 2008 at 12:30 am

Amazed with stupidity!!Sep 17, 2008 at 5:24 pm

This is ridiculous! If you want to drink and party dont run for office, its that simple, and then dont try and hide it by putting it on the school credit card! how dumb can you be!!! Kick them out because I do not want idoits like that representing our school.

Amazed with stupidity!!Sep 18, 2008 at 12:24 am

• R

Realist IISep 17, 2008 at 4:47 pm

Especially with idiots like this!

• R

Realist IISep 17, 2008 at 11:47 pm

Especially with idiots like this!

• R

RealistSep 17, 2008 at 4:46 pm

ASI is and will always be a joke.

• R

RealistSep 17, 2008 at 11:46 pm

ASI is and will always be a joke.

Concerned BulldogSep 17, 2008 at 4:42 pm

Actually, ASI is entirely funded by student fees and no state revenue. So, no…you’re wrong…they are spending STUDENT MONEY and not a dime of it is from the state residents / tax payers…

Check your facts before you post.

Concerned BulldogSep 17, 2008 at 11:42 pm

Check your facts before you post.

whateverSep 17, 2008 at 4:37 pm

OK so I made a lame argument. This is a little off topic but I just get so annoyed when students get all whiny about THEIR MONEY going to waste. The CSU system is subsidized like crazy and your measly fees don’t even begin to cover the expenses at a place like this. This sort of wasteful stuff hurts the state residents much more than it hurts you guys.

I just thought it was silly how students are feeling so outraged that THEIR MONEY is going to waste! Who knew!

whateverSep 17, 2008 at 11:37 pm

• P

PatheticSep 17, 2008 at 4:11 pm

To Whatever,

Professors can spend their salaries on whatever they like. The point here is that Mackee used money MEANT FOR ASI BUSINESS for his own personal use. If he wants to use his salary to get drunk off hours, fine. BUT when he is at an ASI event and his hotel and food is being paid by US, the STUDENTS, there is a problem. We aren’t paying him to get wasted and sneak booze to minors. WE are paying for him to attend to the many problems our campus faces. To excuse it as typical college behavior ignores the fact these elected offical are held to a higher standard. Mackee has shown not once, not twice, BUT THREE times poor judgment. I should hope those who have the power to remove him take notice.

• P

PatheticSep 17, 2008 at 11:11 pm

To Whatever,

• F

Fresno State StudentSep 17, 2008 at 4:02 pm

Does the fact that they basically fired an employee because she spoke up bother anyone? Unless I am unaware of other things that happened, she didn’t deserve to be put on administrative leave. Mackie and Sandra deserve to be dismissed just for being irresponsible supervisors.

Most students don’t know this, but in the mid-late 90’s there was a employee lawsuit against ASI for wrongful termination (if I am not mistaken.) Someone should take the liberty of reviewing this lawsuit. Items should be available because everything is public record. And many people also don’t know that the person previous to Annie was forced out by JP and Steven. She could have easily filed a lawsuit for harassment. And prior to that person was the person that filed a lawsuit. (And I am referring to full-time employees. ASI has had several part-time, but historically only has one full-time)

I suggest that the administration reconsider letting students be the boss of actual employees. Obviously after one lawsuit, one force out and another firing shows that they can’t handle human resource matters.

• F

Fresno State StudentSep 17, 2008 at 11:02 pm

The whatever dudeSep 17, 2008 at 3:58 pm

whatever person…. give it up man. You are making a fool of yourself. The professor argument is reaching for straws and even you should recognize that. It’s obvious you are either one of the two or friends with them. whats scary is that mackee mason is also president of the red zone… how much red zone money has he used to get wasted?! the guy is a dishonest pig and does not deserve to be in any position.

The whatever dudeSep 17, 2008 at 10:58 pm

whateverSep 17, 2008 at 3:41 pm

Think about this one: Some of your professors DRINK BEER. YOUR PRECIOUS MONEY (which wouldn’t cover a small fraction of your tuition if it weren’t for heavy government subsidies) allows them to do this!

I’d also bet that some of your professors or other university staff BREAK THE LAW SOMETIMES.

Might as well be stealing out of your pocket!!

whateverSep 17, 2008 at 10:41 pm

• K

KatrinaSep 17, 2008 at 3:40 pm

I knew someone would eventually use the no-big-deal argument.

We all know no one is perfect. Nobody’s infallible. But we all (should) know that’s not the point. It’s about taking responsibility for one’s actions. And that’s exactly what these two ASI execs should do.

Of course there are underagers who drink. That’s irrelevant to the fact that Mr. Mason clearly ignored the substance-free pledge and used student fees to pay for the alcohol.

But, but, but, this is college, we’re responsible adults, we all make mistakes sometimes, yadda yadda yadda. Just once, I’d like to see these adults who break their codes of conduct grow up and accept their errors in judgment LIKE MATURE ADULTS — instead of using the old “But everyone else does it!” excuse.

Stop crying about it, deal with the fact that sometimes, there are serious consequences for your actions and learn from it. People make mistakes, and every now and then the outcomes are unfortunate. Wow, what a concept — holding yourself accountable for your own actions. Maybe these ASI kids should try it sometime. I mean, it’s not like it’s a big deal to behave responsibly for a couple of retreats.

Unless being in ASI is so utterly painful that a person needs to hit the bottle just to make it through the day…

• K

KatrinaSep 17, 2008 at 10:40 pm

But, but, but, this is college, we’re responsible adults, we all make mistakes sometimes, yadda yadda yadda. Just once, I’d like to see these adults who break their codes of conduct grow up and accept their errors in judgment LIKE MATURE ADULTS ”” instead of using the old “But everyone else does it!” excuse.

Stop crying about it, deal with the fact that sometimes, there are serious consequences for your actions and learn from it. People make mistakes, and every now and then the outcomes are unfortunate. Wow, what a concept ”” holding yourself accountable for your own actions. Maybe these ASI kids should try it sometime. I mean, it’s not like it’s a big deal to behave responsibly for a couple of retreats.

whateverSep 17, 2008 at 3:38 pm

I agree that this Mackee guy is a clown and shouldn’t be using money for this. It just gives more evidence that ASI and organizations like it are big stupid jokes that don’t deserve any recognition.

BUT COME ON GUYS. MONEY OUT OF YOUR POCKETS? Get over yourselves. It’s stupid of them to do this, but I’m sure ASI’s lack of competence and leadership has much worse consequences than buying a few beers with their money.

whateverSep 17, 2008 at 10:38 pm

johnSep 17, 2008 at 3:31 pm

I for one do not have any respect for ASI after this. A slap on the wrist for using money out of my pocket to buy drinks?! the guy might as well come over and steal money right out of my pocket. how is he still president? disgusting

johnSep 17, 2008 at 10:31 pm

• F

Former StudentSep 17, 2008 at 3:25 pm

I can’t believe some people here are equating speeding on the freeway to using the university’s money to purchase alcohol. Seriously? WTF. Yeah, let’s just give him a slap on the wrist. It’s no big deal. I’m sorry, but when students everyday are struggling to pay for tuition and books but the ASI president is out partying it up on the school’s dime – there is something wrong with that picture. The fact is Mackee Mason is a HYPOCRITE! He voted to raise student fees – but has no problem spending the school’s money for his own personal use. He needs to get kicked out ASAP!

• F

Former StudentSep 17, 2008 at 10:25 pm

We Would Do The SameSep 17, 2008 at 3:15 pm

Re: Whatever: It’s a fact that most people drink before the age of 21. It starts in highschool and continues and progressively gets worse in college. Once you turn 21 it kind of looses its appeal so people drink less, for the most part.
    And as for CONCERNED BULLDOG: No it does not make it right, but people break the law everyday. im sure you have already. For example: drive over the speed limit, talk on the phone while driving, J walked, or something to that nature. And unless you were sheltered as a child then you most likely have consumed alcohol before the age of 21

We Would Do The SameSep 17, 2008 at 10:15 pm

Concerned BulldogSep 17, 2008 at 2:59 pm

And that makes it right to violate the law?

Concerned BulldogSep 17, 2008 at 9:59 pm

whateverSep 17, 2008 at 2:50 pm

Re: We would do the same: That’s hilarious! More underage people at fresno state drink than EVERYONE OF LEGAL AGE. makes perfect sense! A possible 15,000 or so students drink more than the rest of fresno, or, possibly, the WORLD!

whateverSep 17, 2008 at 9:50 pm

whateverSep 17, 2008 at 2:48 pm

Come on guys, a couple of six-packs isn’t going to offset your fee increases. I know some of you aren’t old enough to know yet, but beer isn’t that expensive yet.

whateverSep 17, 2008 at 9:48 pm

We Would Do The SameSep 17, 2008 at 2:35 pm

Im not sure why people are making this a big deal. If it was any of us average college students we would have done the same thing. It was a simple mistake on his part about the drinks bought on the ASI card. And to be honest im sure more underage people drink here at Fresno State than people who are of legal age to drink. And as for the statistics about students who drink here at Fresno do is rarely or not that much is a load of crap!

So quit whining and let it be

We Would Do The SameSep 17, 2008 at 9:35 pm

So quit whining and let it be

• G

Get rid of 'em!Sep 17, 2008 at 2:12 pm

well now we know why they want wanted to raise our fees last semester. As I recall mackee was in full support. What a hypocrite. He sees fit to raise our fees, pretends he cares for our needs and then goes right out and buy alcohol for his underage friends with our money. Why haven’t they thrown this dumbass out yet?

• G

Get rid of 'em!Sep 17, 2008 at 9:12 pm

Mackee Mason is an IDIOTSep 17, 2008 at 1:53 pm

Who voted for Mason?! The guy makes poor judgements, is part of one of the most disastrous fraternities on campus SAE, buys drinks off of student money, buys kids drinks at his frat (ive seen it), and hes still red zone and ASI president?! What a freaking joke! That guy is an irresponsible moron

Mackee Mason is an IDIOTSep 17, 2008 at 8:53 pm

Amazing how it changes!Sep 17, 2008 at 9:56 am

Am I the only who finds it slightly ironic that Mackee is against lowering the drinking age with the Fresno Bee and the media outlets, saying its dangerous and should be kept at 18, yet he is OK with violating that law whenever he wants? And on official, ASI retreats?

He is quoted in the Bee as saying, “People make poor decisions when they are intoxicated. Adding more people — younger people — to make these bad decisions doesn’t seem like the right idea in solving issues of misuse.”

Poor decisions? Like purchasing alcohol on ASI credit cards? Or violating state law and serving it to minors? Gee, Mackee didn’t need alcohol to make those DUMB AND ILLEGAL decisions, did he?

What a hypocrite. This is who we have representing us as students? I think we can we better.

People get charged with the intoxication of minors all the time. Lets add Mason and Flores to the list.

Amazing how it changes!Sep 17, 2008 at 4:56 pm

Concerned BulldogSep 17, 2008 at 8:45 am

This is a repulsive and disgustingly shameful thing to do. These two executives should be immediately removed. They are both bound by the ASI Code of Conduct, and they clearly violated it — meaning they should automatically be put up for a vote of removal.

I am ashamed at such a disregard for their office and the mission of ASI. Remove them immediately!

Concerned BulldogSep 17, 2008 at 3:45 pm