graduation 2024

Thaiphoon, my favorite for so many reasons

When it comes time for dinner, I seem to always want Thaiphoon.

I mean, come on, you really can̢۪t go wrong with a local Thai bistro nestled in the cozy Tower District.

The first time I visited Thaiphoon was about two years ago, on my 20th birthday. Right when I walked into the restaurant, I knew I was in for a good time. The ambiance captivated me initially with the contemporary Eastern decor, dim lighting and jazz music in the background.

My family and I ordered a variety of dishes such as fresh rolls, shrimp pad thai and curry noodles.

The fresh rolls have now become one of my favorite appetizers. They’re made with fresh, cold cucumbers, carrots, thin rice noodles, shrimp or chicken (on request) and served with an delicious sweet dipping sauce. If you are looking for a healthy, refreshing appetizer, this is the one for you.

Then there was the pad thai, a popular noodle stir-fry. Like most versions of this dish, it was a combination of savory and sweet including cilantro, peanuts, bean sprouts and a hint of lime. I have to admit, Thaiphoon’s pad thai is the best I’ve had. It may stray away from more traditional recipes which use tamarind as a main ingredient, but it is a tasty deviation.

The curry noodles were and still are my favorite entree from Thaiphoon. My family was afraid to try the dish from past experiences of overpowering curry. I, however, fell in love at first bite. The union of mild curry with sweet coconut juice absolutely hits the jackpot. I ordered the dish which chicken as a protein and with “medium spice.”

“No spice,” “mild,” “medium” and “hot” spice options are available on most dishes.

I do not know what Thaiphoon does to make this stir-fry so uniquely delicious, but I do know that I crave it on an almost subconsious level.

It should come as no surprise that Thaiphoon has become my favorite restaurant in Fresno. Most of the staff now know my name and order by heart.

Which leads to another perk: their great service. I’ve never had to wait more than 10 minutes for my food, and their servers are always friendly.

With half-off appetizers, 5 – 7 p.m. is a great time to eat at Thaiphoon. For those 21 and over, there is a full bar and a club scene on weekend nights.

Lunchtime is also a good time for a first visit because meals are a few dollars cheaper and you get a free cabbage and chicken soup.

Most dishes are around $9.95 for dinner.

So, if you frequent the Tower District like me, step into Thaiphoon on your next visit. And for those of you who think of Tower as a far away land, take the time to drive out there. It will be good for you.

Thaiphoon is located at 609 E. Olive Ave. in the Tower District. You can reach them by phone at (559) 486-2445.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Debbie WilliamsSep 17, 2008 at 3:11 pm

Thaiphoon is a great restaurant, thanks for sharing.

Debbie WilliamsSep 17, 2008 at 10:11 pm

whateverSep 5, 2008 at 9:09 am

Another good Thai place, but this one much closer to Fresno State, is Thai House at First and Shaw next to Dicicco’s. That place is the bomb too

whateverSep 5, 2008 at 4:09 pm