One reason why activists opposing homosexual marriage are Harmful and Must be Opposed

YOU MAY HAVE SEEN THE FLIERS AROUND campus if you’ve been around the last few days — “10 Reasons Why Homosexual ‘Marriage’ is Harmful and Must be Opposed.â€Â The fliers come from The American Society for the Defense of Tradition, Family and Property, which appears to be a fringe Catholic group interested primarily in denying homosexual couples the right to marriage and halting the (evidently) rapid spread of communism.

Groups like this drive me up the wall, and not just because I disagree with their cause. I have attended Catholic churches since I was a child, and so realize that this sort of campaigning reflects poorly on the whole religion. Fortunately, not all Catholics are this uptight or angry. Not all Catholics are interested in twisting the language of the Bible, reappropriating it for the cause of oppressing large groups of America.

Not one of the ten reasons the flier gives for its opposition ever approaches anything like a good argument, but one of the most ridiculous assertions is the notion that the primary aim of marriage is to reproduce and raise children.

Of course, this is not the same standard the public at large, including these ostensibly Christian activist groups, applies to heterosexual marriages. There is not another group in America for which activists demand a biological child as validation of that marriage.

Nobody ever seems to get up in arms about the great travesty that is childless heterosexual marriages.

Nobody throws a fit about post-menopausal women marrying or remarrying their geriatric boyfriends.

Nobody does this because we realize how silly it is to define a “goodâ€Â or “validâ€Â marriage as one that must produce offspring.

Nobody does this because we realize marriage is about something more, something much more.

And that something is something all couples can possess: gay, straight or anything in between.

Mathew Gomes is a senior majoring in English as well as music, with an emphasis in composition.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Ashley WellsSep 22, 2008 at 9:25 am

I am so glad that people are speaking out about this, and we especially need to be more vocal as November approaches and vote no on proposition 8. I think it is important to note that these groups are relying on religious rhetoric to endorse proposition 8 and yet voting down proposition 8 will not force any church to perform any marriages that they don’t want to, it will instead say that discrimination has no place in the California Constitution. Voting no on proposition 8 will say that we want equality and freedom for all in California, not just freedom for certain religious groups.
    The campaign to vote no on props 4 and 8 is starting up on campus this week! We are recruiting volunteers, will be tabling in the coming weeks, and will talking to anyone that needs more information. If anyone would like to be involved please email me at [email protected]

Ashley WellsSep 22, 2008 at 4:25 pm

DonielleSep 19, 2008 at 12:38 pm

1st off good article Mathew. Second John… cheering for those who want to force their beliefs on to others and saying that homosexual unions can never have children…I hate to say it but you need to remove your head from your lower backside and wake up. Marriage isn’t solely about having kids, it is about finding someone you love and spending the rest of your life with that person. And not all heterosexual couples can have children and not all the ones who do have children take the responsibility of being a parent. And further more their are several children who need homes and if a caring responsible couple no matter what gender want to give them a family they should be able to. It is super psycho religious nuts like you John who are closed minded towards people no matter what, just because they choose a different life style than yours. Again Good Job Mathew

DonielleSep 19, 2008 at 7:38 pm

Alisia LopezSep 18, 2008 at 12:48 pm

I picked up this article in the morning and was delighted to see someone speak out against people who oppose “same-sex marriage”.
    I collected a few of the flyers that were left on people’s window shield too.
    Thanks for showing support!

Alisia LopezSep 18, 2008 at 7:48 pm

Thanks for showing support!

JohnSep 17, 2008 at 8:47 pm

Bravo!! to the Catholic fellows who visited our campus. It’s about time someone oppose the advance of same-sex “marriage.” Their position is based on the continuous and unchanging doctrine of the Catholic Church, which is also based on Natural Law, and therefore, applicable to all people of good faith. The author of this article is a cafeteria Catholic, he chooses what he wants to believe and tosses out the things he dislikes. Homosexual unions can never have children. Period. They are sterile unions closed to new life. What keeps homosexual couples together is erotic egoism. Good job guys from TFP.

JohnSep 18, 2008 at 3:47 am

Jonathan LaneSep 17, 2008 at 5:12 pm

Great article Mathew! I agree 100%. It’s important that those of the Catholic faith are not inadvertently crowded under the umbrella that is ignorance. While your piece does well to expose the absolute stupidity of these individuals, it also serves to protect and reinforce the beauty of the Catholic faith. Well done!

Jonathan LaneSep 18, 2008 at 12:12 am

• R

Robin McGeheeSep 17, 2008 at 10:35 am

As a proud graduate of California State University, Fresno, I offer a deep apprecitation of your willingness to support my wife and I in the ability to be equally protected under the law. Your beautifully written response to the hateful messages that have been strong and loud over the last few days is a true testament of what I believe it means to be a devout Christian. Keep on spreadin’ the love and stoppin the hate!!!! SPEAK OUT!!!!

• R

Robin McGeheeSep 17, 2008 at 5:35 pm

• R

Ronald AvedisianSep 17, 2008 at 10:24 am

Way to go Mathew!

In over 10 years I have yet to see a single rational argument advanced in opposition to same-sex marriage. The opponents are all drivien by either fear or ignorance of what same-sex relationships are truly about.

• R

Ronald AvedisianSep 17, 2008 at 5:24 pm

Way to go Mathew!