New coach resurrecting aquatics for ‘Dogs

There has certainly been a pattern with new coaching positions filled over the last year, leaving the athletic department with no off-season.

First, it was the hiring of new offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier in football. Then, Lauren Netherby-Sewell took over the head coaching job for volleyball, while Sean McManus was hired as head cross country coach.

Later, women̢۪s lacrosse started up with Sue Behme announced as head coach and Carlee Buck was hired as assistant offensive coach.

Now, in the midst of a crazy summer, Taryn Ignacio is the latest to join the Bulldog family when she was named the new head diving coach this past week.

Ignacio will join coach Jeanne Fleck and assistant Ryan Purdy to complete the swimming and diving coaching staff.

Igancio was a former All-American diver at Kentucky. The latest chapter in her life will have her coaching four divers in the upcoming season.

“I’m honored and excited to be a part of the Fresno State swimming and diving team,â€Â Ignacio said. “I feel that me being only 23 is a benefit, because I could relate to the student divers as I was one not too long ago.â€Â

Ignacio found herself as the Interim Head Coach at the University of Kentucky last season after Mike Lyden, who spent 16 seasons as the coach of the diving program at Kentucky, passed away after a long battle with cancer. The Richmond, Ky. native was an individual national champion at Kentucky in 2006 in the platform event — the first NCAA Champion for the Wildcats.

Ignacio was also a five-time, Southeastern Conference (SEC) Champion.

Ignacio was the one-meter champion in her sophomore and senior seasons. She took home the title on the platform all three years she was at Kentucky (2004-07).

“I look forward for the upcoming year and I’m ready to build one of the best swimming and diving programs in the nation,â€Â Ignacio said.

She is the University of Kentucky record-holder in both the one-meter and platform events, as well as the SEC and NCAA record-holder on the platform. Ignacio was just the second diver in SEC history to win three conference titles on the platform and was named the SEC Female Diver of the Year all three seasons. Prior to diving at Kentucky, Ignacio spent one season at Florida State where she qualified for the NCAA Championships as a freshman. She also took 11th on the platform at the U.S. Olympic Trials.

Ignacio has not only been a successful diver, but is a successful young coach as well. In 2007, she coached one women̢۪s All-American on the one-meter, and one male freshman to All-American honors on the one-meter as well.

“I feel that Taryn will bring positive energy, excitement and quality to our program right away,â€Â Fleck said. “I have heard good reviews from the top diving coaches in the country on her. She has the makings of a great coach and the ability to coach all three diving events.â€Â

Ignacio will dive right into her coaching debut as a Bulldog when the swimming and diving season begins October 18 at Santa Cruz.

This will be the first swimming and diving meet for Fresno State since the sport was disbanded in 2004.