Letter to the Editor: Recent debate about drinking ages neglects industry̢۪s responsibility

Personal responsibility is important. As a sociologist, I also acknowledge social forces influence our choices. Behavior is largely situational and occurs within contexts; thus, debates about lowering drinking ages miss a fundamental issue: youth exposure to alcohol advertising on television—which increased 38 percent from 2001-2007—correlates with more alcohol consumption, increasing deaths (5,000 people under 21 die annually from alcohol-related injuries involving underage drinking), decreased academic performance, and poor health.

According to Professor David Jernigan, alcohol companies spent $6.6 billion on over two million television advertisements from 2001-2007. Though the National Research Council, Institute of Medicine, and 20 state attorneys general recommend a proportional 15 percent maximum for youth audiences (ages 12-20) of alcohol advertising, the industry maintains a “self-regulatoryâ€Â practice of attempting to not advertise on programs with audiences more than 30 percent underage.

Alcohol distributors have also released new products targeting young drinkers, including alcopops and alcoholic energy drinks, many of which have a higher alcohol content than beer.

The CSU directives followed the 2005 NCAA recommendation that college sports outlaw alcohol sales and limit alcohol advertising, acknowledging the influence of this exposure on youth consumption of alcohol.

While individuals are accountable for their choices, the alcohol industry also bears some responsibility and should comply—voluntarily or by regulation—with the 15 percent standard. In 2006, Congress passed legislation to monitor rates of youth exposure to alcohol advertising. Unfortunately, no funds have been appropriated and no reporting has yet occurred.

Matthew A. Jendian, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Sociology

All letters submitted to The Collegian must not exceed 250 words in length, must be type-written, and must be accompanied by a full name and phone number to verify content. The Collegian reserves the right to edit all material for length, content, spelling and grammar, as well as the right to refuse publication of any material submitted. All material submitted to The Collegian becomes property of The Collegian.