I’m going back home

COME WITH ME. I̢۪M GOING HOME.

“Homeâ€Â for me isn’t 15 or even 30 minutes away. It takes me a full hour to get home from Fresno State. Driving hundreds of miles every week, six days a week gets really old really fast. For that reason, a lot of people think I’m crazy for continuing to live at my parents’ homestead in Squaw Valley.

Maybe I am crazy. Judge for yourself. Just hold on tight; sometimes I drive a little crazy.

City driving tends to make me nervous, especially around campus and the freeways. People have no consideration for anyone other than themselves.

Things aren̢۪t like that out where I live.

You can always tell a city driver stranded out there because they drive 30 miles an hour around all of the corners, even the ones you can take at 60. They have bumper stickers like “Keep Tahoe Blueâ€Â on their shiny SUVs. We drive pickup trucks from the 1980s, with stickers like, “Forget the Dog: Beware of Owner.â€Â You always know right where you stand with folks up there.

Once we get past Armstrong, past Temperance, where stoplights every block give way to stop signs every few miles, where the speed limit goes from 45 to 50 to 55 and the road narrows from six lanes to two, I̢۪ll crank up the radio and roll down the windows. I hope you like country music. It̢۪s either Rascal Flatts or Flatt and Scruggs in my car.

We̢۪ll turn on Academy. I used to take McCall, because it used to feel more like the streets I grew up along: old derelict barns in the middles of fields, horses in pastures, farmers on tractors. The rows of trees have always amazed me with their absolute straightness, and they̢۪re nothing short of heavenly when covered with springtime blooms. Now, with the construction of the 180 freeway, some of the most fertile orchards in the world are being ripped out to make way for overpasses near McCall. I can̢۪t bear to see it.

Eventually, we̢۪ll turn on to King̢۪s Canyon and start heading up into Redneckville. People in the foothills take pride in their knowledge of how to shoot and how to weld. Most people up there are carpenters or plumbers or backyard horse trainers. The lucky few work for the Forest Service. ̢۬ ̢۬

You’d never know it to see it, but there are close to 3,000 people in Squaw Valley spread out over miles and miles. Heading up “The Hill,â€Â the spot where the foothills begin, it used to look like you were headed to a very remote place. Someone’s built a house there now.

I guess time wounds all hills, as the saying doesn̢۪t go.

This land is full of little hidden dales and hills. One of them used to have a lone house, obscured from the road by trees. That valley used to always brim over with flowers in spring, like a basket full of fruit does in a still life painting. During the housing boom, six houses went up there. They̢۪re ugly cookie-cutter tract houses that look totally out of place.

I’m afraid they won’t look out of place before long. As Fresno rolls concrete and asphalt out ever farther, the commute to the “cityâ€Â gets shorter every day.

There used to be a part of my drive, not long ago, when at night the mountains rose inky black and majestic against the night sky. You could only tell where the mountains started because there weren̢۪t any points of light to blend them into the starry sky. Now the area is covered with dusk-to-dawn lights. ̢۬

̢۬I know this place doesn̢۪t look overrun with people like I am making it out to be. In fact, it probably looks barely populated to you. It still is beautiful.

In many places, the wooden fence posts put in by ranchers in the 1800s are still functioning. We call them “pecky postsâ€Â because over the years woodpeckers have drilled holes in them to get bugs. Some people take the posts that have been removed and sell them to city folks to decorate with.

You wouldn’t believe what someone pays for an old piece of rotting wood. Or for a boulder that someone ripped out of the ground and took to a swap meet. Some people have entire businesses that survive that way: They come here, rip up our ground, steal our granite boulders covered with lichens and moss and sell them for a few hundred bucks to people who want to have that “naturalâ€Â look in their landscapes. I wonder if they realize real nature is being destroyed to give them that.

Blink and you’ll miss “downtownâ€Â Squaw Valley. We have two churches, a public library, a pizza parlor, a car parts store, and a real estate agent. We have a couple of other churches, a mobile home park, a little cafe that isn’t very good and an elementary school that’s even worse farther back in the hills. We have no high school. The sign billing one coming soon is peeling and fading from being exposed to the elements for so many years. 

We̢۪ll turn off the highway here on to the backroads. I wouldn̢۪t be surprised if we meet someone riding horseback along the road, or if we see some nuns playing with their little charges around their convent, which seems to be a large converted mobile home. The Order of the Winnebago, it has been joked. Wave back if someone waves to you or they̢۪ll think you̢۪re rude.

Maybe I am crazy for living out here. To me, it feels good to arrange a visit with a friend and surprise them by showing up in my truck instead of on my horse. I enjoy discussing weather with people who can feel a shift in the wind because their livelihoods depend on it, rather than with people who ignore the sky̢۪s signals because they will be stuck in climate-controlled offices anyway.

I know that after the stress in Fresno, the smog and the careless drivers and the people who don̢۪t give a damn, it feels good to come home to this world apart; this place where fences and family bloodlines are a hundred years old. It̢۪s like a secret that no one knows but me, and that secret gives me joy.

I wouldn̢۪t trade that joy for all the convenience in the world.

Heather Billings is a senior at Fresno State majoring in mass communication and journalism with emphases in print journalism and digital media.

$100
$500

$100
$500

stella loveApr 29, 2015 at 5:47 pm

my phone rang, and so shockingly, it was my boyfriend who has not called me for past 4 years now, and made an apology for the heart break, and told me that he is ready to be my back bone till the rest of his life with me. DR HENRY released him up to know how much i loved and wanted him. And opened his eyes to picture how love much we have share together. As I`m writing this testimony right now I`m the most happiest girl on earth and me and my boyfriend is living a happy life and our love is now stronger than how it were even before our break up. So that`s why I promised to share my testimony all over the universe. All thanks goes to DR HENRY for the excessive work that he has done for me. Below is the [email protected] Are you undergoing a heart break, and I assure you that as he has done mine for me, he will definitely help you too. that is his email address [email protected]..

stella loveApr 29, 2015 at 5:47 pm

my phone rang, and so shockingly, it was my boyfriend who has not called me for past 4 years now, and made an apology for the heart break, and told me that he is ready to be my back bone till the rest of his life with me. DR HENRY released him up to know how much i loved and wanted him. And opened his eyes to picture how love much we have share together. As I`m writing this testimony right now I`m the most happiest girl on earth and me and my boyfriend is living a happy life and our love is now stronger than how it were even before our break up. So that`s why I promised to share my testimony all over the universe. All thanks goes to DR HENRY for the excessive work that he has done for me. Below is the [email protected] Are you undergoing a heart break, and I assure you that as he has done mine for me, he will definitely help you too. that is his email address [email protected]

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Oct 6, 2008 at 3:23 am

Um … ‘parcel’ anyone?

Taking Offense: Pretty simple actually … those who take offense to something are meant to … via whatever it is that they don’t like about themselves (for the most part). Being offended is just a state of mind. If the $2-bill fits … wear it.

Charles W. Frank, "Chip"Oct 6, 2008 at 10:23 am

Um … ‘parcel’ anyone?

• H

Heather BillingsOct 2, 2008 at 7:19 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment

I’m not saying my hometown is perfect (it’s far from it, though that’s a different column), but the folks there are generally a hell of a lot nicer than the ones in Fresno. It’s a sweeping generalization. Not everyone fits the mold of sweeping generalizations. If you don’t, more power to you. But I’m not going to apologize for hurting anyone’s feelings, because in my 23 years, this is the difference I’ve observed between the two areas. I call ’em like I see ’em.

• H

Heather BillingsOct 3, 2008 at 2:19 am

The Collegian Staff Comment

• O

OwenOct 2, 2008 at 3:31 pm

I like Squaw Valley too. I used to belong the the archery club near town and in fact my brother in law lives there. However, I find this article to be very arrogant and derogatory towards people that don’t live in Squaw Valley. Thank you for informing me that I have no consideration for anyone other than myself, that I’m a careless driver, and that I don’t give a damn.

• O

OwenOct 2, 2008 at 10:31 pm

Charles W. FrankSep 26, 2008 at 9:07 am

Kudos!!! Liked the article. I’m city-folk, but I have a greater appreciation for mountain folk (or small communities in general) than I do for city-folk. (In my experience that people don’t like me relating: Fresno-folk like to think that they think big, but have really small perspectives. In comparison, what I’ve always appreciated about people who live away from Fresno are that they are more real and down to earth rather than trying to think big. The way I put it is: A redneck sitting on a porch, knowing he’s a redneck, is better than a city dweller who tries to be something he or she is not – always lost trying to find a way influenced and confused by so many others and so much stimulation around them.)

Charles W. FrankSep 26, 2008 at 4:07 pm

CDCSep 25, 2008 at 11:56 am

Good story, it reminds me of the little mountain town I grew up in… where everyone knows everyone. And if you want to go for a mountain hike/bike all you got to do is step outside your front gate. Thanks for the memory reminder:)

CDCSep 25, 2008 at 6:56 pm

• L

Laura SorensonSep 24, 2008 at 2:55 pm

It’s not as good as the menu that the old owners had. Same goes for Memories Inn. 🙂

• L

Laura SorensonSep 24, 2008 at 9:55 pm

Brent AuernheimerSep 24, 2008 at 2:21 pm

I hope by “a little cafe that isn’t very good” you aren’t talking about Clingan’s Junction, I like the menu the new owners have 🙂

Brent AuernheimerSep 24, 2008 at 9:21 pm

• L

Laura SorensonSep 24, 2008 at 11:44 am

Up until six years ago, I lived my entire life in Dunlap, the tiny town that’s just a little bit futher into the foothills than Squaw Valley. Sadly I have lived the last six years in Fresno, but I will never call myself a city girl. I will never get used to the noises, the lights (no starry night sky here), and the horrible drivers. I yearn to be able to live back up there and see the moon and the stars that I swear I can almost touch. My father was one of the lucky ones who worked for the Forest Service until he retired, but nothing will convince him to move from his 7 acres of land that I grew up on. Anytime I take a friend or boyfriend up there, I get a great laugh from them when they ask “Why did that person waive to us?” especially when I tell them that I actually don’t know that person. I got an even greater laugh when an ex-boyfriend asked what that “wierd humming noise” was. It was the crickets doing their thing, and it took me a minute to even realize what he was talking about since “mountain girl” me doesn’t even notice the noise. It’s the noise of home, of course.

Oh, the stories I could tell about those “mountain folk” I grew up around, but I doubt any “city folk” will believe them. But no matter what these are my people, and the foothills will always be my home.

So Heather, thank you for your story. Our community hasn’t changed much in the last thirty years, and I hope that remains true for the next thirty and then some. But, sadly the Fresno land distroying machine will catch up to us someday. Perhaps voices like yours will help slow down that machine so that those “city folks” will have the choice to come up and enjoy the beauty of our home. But then again, maybe like you I want to keep that joyful secret too.

• L

Laura SorensonSep 24, 2008 at 6:44 pm