Harassment lawsuit filed

Annie Tremp claims age and gender discrimination by ASI

Former ASI Executive Director Annie Tremp filed a lawsuit Friday claiming she was wrongfully terminated and discriminated against by some ASI executives.

The lawsuit lists the defendants as ASI and California State University, Fresno, Association, Inc. She is seeking undisclosed compensation for financial and emotional harm.

The lawsuit comes after two ASI executives admitted violating the “substance free pledgeâ€Â during the ASI retreat in July, where underage drinking took place. Tremp claims she was dismissed after reporting the abuse.

Also, the related financial documents may have been misplaced, the ASI spokesperson told The Collegian on Sunday.

Tremp, who is not a student, was hired in May 2007 to work for ASI after being a long-term employee of Fresno State. Paul Oliaro, Ph.D., vice president of student affairs, told The Collegian that Tremp previously worked for International Student Services and Programs (ISSP) at Fresno State, where she was the office manager.

According to the lawsuit, Tremp believed ASI employed her, but her benefits and pay were administered through the Association.

While working for ASI as executive director, Tremp said in the lawsuit that her duties included reviewing financial information, working with ASI executives to budget for special projects, budgeting for ASI publicity, processing the payment of bills, supervising and training assistants that work for ASI and monitoring expenses, including the use of ASI executives̢۪ credit cards.

Tremp claims ASI President Mackee M. Mason threatened her job if he did not get elected in May.

The lawsuit states: “Mason informed Plaintiff (Tremp) that her job would be in jeopardy if he did not get elected.â€Â

After Mason was elected, Tremp claims that Mason continued to intimidate her with similar remarks and again threatened her job.

According to the lawsuit, Mason threatened to have Tremp fired after she told Mason he was not allowed to purchase a cell phone with ASI funds.

ASI was issued five credit cards for the executives, including Mason, Executive Vice President Sandra Flores, Vice President of Finance Lauren Johnson, Director of University Affairs Tara Powers-Mead and Tremp, according to Johnson.

Johnson, who is also the spokesperson for ASI, told The Collegian on Sunday that under normal conditions, it would be her duty to sign off on all expenses with the executive director. Since she was out of the country for the summer months, that duty was passed along to Tremp.

“Normally, what would have happened is I would have signed off on the ledger to pay that [monthly credit card bill],â€Â Johnson said.

Johnson said the receipts of expenses under question are not available and believes they may have been misplaced. Although the credit card bill was paid to Diners Club International, supporting documentation has been requested from the companies to which the expenses were made.

Johnson said it should be known in a few weeks what was included in these expenses.

Tremp̢۪s lawsuit also includes the following allegations:

̢ۢ Tremp claims she was discriminated against for her age and gender. She was the only female over the age of 40 working for ASI.

• Mason’s harassment of Tremp was so severe, she claims, that the work environment could have been considered “hostile or abusive.â€Â

̢ۢ Tremp said she reported the conditions to the Association, which in turn did nothing. By not taking action, the lawsuit states that the Association participated in the harassment by assisting and encouraging it.

̢ۢ Tremp claims she was put on probation after she issued complaints against Mason for misusing ASI funds and providing alcohol to minors at an ASI retreat in July.

̢ۢ After Tremp made these complaints, the office was shut down and the Association started an investigation of her.

̢ۢ After she reported the violations by Mason, he altered Tremp̢۪s job description, she claims. This included reducing her status and responsibilities and replacing her with a younger person to take over some of her responsibilities.

Neither Mason nor Powers-Mead could be reached for comment Sunday.

During the investigation conducted by the Association, Tremp claims in her lawsuit that the investigator told her she was too old to be working with students and should look for other employment.

Tremp was accused of making unauthorized expenditures and falsifying her time sheets, which she said is false. It is still not known what these expenditures consisted of.

Tremp was fired Aug. 29 after refusing a severance package of four months pay if she would waive all claims.

According to the lawsuit, Tremp had not received any prior reprimands that showed her job performance was suffering.

Additional reporting by Ben Keller.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• R

RodgeringDec 10, 2008 at 10:09 am

stephen tremblay is overrated

• R

RodgeringDec 10, 2008 at 5:09 pm

stephen tremblay is overrated

DanaRose CrystalDec 10, 2008 at 3:28 am

Crooked student government jerks SHOULD get removed from office. Cheers to the Collegian Online for reporting it. The Hornet, –the Fullerton College campus newspaper–neglects to report the abusivness of members of its own campus student government.

DanaRose CrystalDec 10, 2008 at 10:28 am

AnnaSep 30, 2008 at 10:08 pm

Its funny you are all making fun of Mason and Trembley
    but from my observation on campus groups and clubs,
    the two are really good friends.
    You all make no sense

AnnaOct 1, 2008 at 5:08 am

the two are really good friends.
    You all make no sense

ASI -- A Stupid IdiotSep 30, 2008 at 10:02 pm

I like the Tremble! Lets all join in.

I think ASI should be renamed in honor of Mr. Mason. ASI…A Stupid Idiot.

Anyway, do the tremble….cha cha cha…

ASI -- A Stupid IdiotOct 1, 2008 at 5:02 am

I like the Tremble! Lets all join in.

Anyway, do the tremble….cha cha cha…

ChalkSep 30, 2008 at 9:56 pm

It’s easy…it’s just a step to the left and then a step to the right…then JUMP for your right to be litigation-free!

ChalkOct 1, 2008 at 4:56 am

• K

Kevin BaronSep 30, 2008 at 9:55 pm

oooops i meants using dont be using my name. i said suing…typo.

• K

Kevin BaronSep 30, 2008 at 9:55 pm

Ok thats not funny you oster who posed as me…lol dont be suing my name and posting on here pretending to be me. I never said anything in the box above

• K

Kevin BaronOct 1, 2008 at 4:55 am

• K

Kevin BaronOct 1, 2008 at 4:55 am

• K

KevinSep 30, 2008 at 9:53 pm

I dont know who this Trembley is, but it sounds like one hell of a leader! I think it can win the suit and stop me from getting sued!

It sounded stupid at first, but I’m gonna join the tremble dance and hope they comes and helps us!

Who is this person, by the way?

• K

KevinOct 1, 2008 at 4:53 am

Who is this person, by the way?

• K

KevinSep 30, 2008 at 9:49 pm

Hay this sounds silly then i am being sued!!! i never been sued before !! in part because of my own student body government broke rules? i wasnt even there, at least let me commit the crime before i get sued. This is not good!

• K

KevinOct 1, 2008 at 4:49 am

ChalkSep 30, 2008 at 9:48 pm

LETS ALL DO THE TREMBLE! 3 cheers for Trembley!

Hip Hip…hooray! Hip Hip…hooray! Hip Hip…HOORAY!

ChalkOct 1, 2008 at 4:48 am

STFanClubSep 30, 2008 at 9:45 pm

Yes, it does. We need to make these people tremble for change!

STFanClubOct 1, 2008 at 4:45 am

• T

t-MANSep 30, 2008 at 9:43 pm

This sounds like a job for Stephen Trembley

• T

t-MANOct 1, 2008 at 4:43 am

• T

TremblesSep 30, 2008 at 9:42 pm

That is correct, as I read the bylaws. We need true leadership to fix this.

• T

TremblesOct 1, 2008 at 4:42 am

• V

voluminously filled hairSep 30, 2008 at 9:40 pm

I’m not sure, but maybe its based on hair style? lol. jk.

• K

KevinSep 30, 2008 at 9:40 pm

Oh by the way in the Membership of the ASI bylaws it says that “membership is granted to all persons enrolled as regular, limited, or special session students”

Since we all are paying memebrs does this mean we are getting sued too!!! this is not good!!!

• V

voluminously filled hairOct 1, 2008 at 4:40 am

• K

KevinOct 1, 2008 at 4:40 am

• K

KevinSep 30, 2008 at 9:37 pm

hay i am curious to know, how to they determine a lawsuit settlement? is this gonna be a million dollar settlement?

• K

KevinOct 1, 2008 at 4:37 am

• T

TremblesSep 30, 2008 at 9:36 pm

Maybe we can bring him back for a second term. I think he’s still on campus? Impeach Mason and elect Trembley for President!

• N

Nick CarterSep 30, 2008 at 9:36 pm

That great head of hair he has is voluminously filled with great ideas. Bring back Trembley.

• T

TremblesOct 1, 2008 at 4:36 am

• N

Nick CarterOct 1, 2008 at 4:36 am

• T

TremblesSep 30, 2008 at 9:34 pm

Nick — you’re totally right. None of this would have happened under his watch — we’d not be fighting lawsuits in the courts.

• T

TremblesOct 1, 2008 at 4:34 am

• K

KevinSep 30, 2008 at 9:33 pm

Isnt NICK CARTER a singer? Or is that your real name who posted?

• K

KevinOct 1, 2008 at 4:33 am

• N

Nick CarterSep 30, 2008 at 9:31 pm

If only we had Stephen Trembley back….now THAT was true leadership.

• N

Nick CarterOct 1, 2008 at 4:31 am

JuniorSep 30, 2008 at 9:25 pm

Thanks Phil for mentioning the Gloria Romero Open Meetings Act of 2000, but I thought I should mention one of its stipulations regarding closed sessions.

89307. (b) (1) Based on the advice of its legal counsel, holding a closed session to confer with, or receive advice from, its legal counsel regarding a liability claim or pending litigation when discussion in open session concerning the matter would prejudice the position of the student body organization in the litigation.

However,
    89307. (b) (7) Prior to holding a closed session pursuant to this section, the legislative body shall state on the agenda or publicly announce and identify the provision of this section that authorizes the closed session . . . the legislative body shall state the title of or otherwise specifically identify the litigation to be discussed, unless the legislative body states that to do so would jeopardize the ability of the student body organization to effectuate service of process upon one or more unserved parties or that to do so would jeopardize its ability to conclude existing settlement negotiations to its advantage.

Finally,
    89307. (f) (1) Prior to holding any closed session, the legislative body shall disclose, in an open meeting, the item or items to be discussed in the closed session.

If anyone attends this meeting, keep in mind the prior statements.

JuniorOct 1, 2008 at 4:25 am

However,

Finally,

JimmySep 30, 2008 at 7:08 pm

Elizabeth… who gave you the bitch of the year award? I’m sure your mom is proud of teaching you to focus on the superficial rather than show some sense of human compassion.

I am not standing up for them. They messed up and there should be consequences. But need I remind you Lauren Johnson was not involved in any way. Mackee and Sandra made mistakes and they will reap the results of what was sown.

BTW, did you ever stop to think that there is something going on behind the scenes that the public is totally unaware of? Or are you completely incapable of questioning what you read? I think this coverage and suit will reveal the truth.

I know mackee and sandra messed up. but there is something fishy about this whole gender discrimination idea… most of the people who work for ASI are women. They haven’t complained nor are they complaining now. I think there is more to this than the public knows.

Please take your personal attacks somewhere else. I don’t agree with other people’s posts but I can at least respect their views b/c they kept it professional.

JimmyOct 1, 2008 at 2:08 am

• P

PhilSep 30, 2008 at 6:56 pm

The Brown Act and Bagley Kean dont apply to CSU student government’s official meetings (those of the Senate and its committees). Only the gloria romero act does…

• P

PhilOct 1, 2008 at 1:56 am

• H

Hector CerdaSep 30, 2008 at 5:55 pm

hay PHIL and FRED thanks for your assistance but we may have some issues with the brown act Remeber the IRA fee last semester?

well i organized a mass of students to put pressure to have the closed behind doors Advisory committe fee meeting openeded to the public which i brought to attention to our ASI government. I told them they were breaking law by having closed meetings. Stephen, JP, and Russell all said “No”that the meeting was allowed to be closed.

They allowed us in eventually. We tried to apply the BROWN ACT but no luck, i think the bagley keene act is more applicaple and maybe this GLORIA ROMERO OPEN MEETING ACT is something i will look into. The thing that upsets me is that last year, our ASI reps talked to us as we were ignorant and didnt know our rights. As if they knew what was best for us and we as students didnt know how to make intelligent decisions.

Thats just my opinion. We should get together and organize. I am all for organizing. Its my passion!!!

• H

Hector CerdaOct 1, 2008 at 12:55 am

• E

ElizabethSep 30, 2008 at 5:14 pm

Why doesn’t ASI just get rid of all three of these losers???? Is it really that hard just to get rid of all of them? They are an embarrassment to the University and Community and it is amazing they can even look in the mirror without throwing up after they see their despicable reflection. Did they mothers teach them to be such horrible individuals???? I am sure all of their moms are really proud of the people that they have become. Really just the best that the community has to offer. Revolting. From a physical standpoint could there be three more fat and ugly people in the world? If there is, I haven’t seen any. And, from character standpoint, they truly are the scum of the Earth. The only public service all three can do know is to lend their repulsive faces to brith control advertisements to warn the public to not produce any more degenerates like them.

• E

ElizabethOct 1, 2008 at 12:14 am

CCSep 30, 2008 at 2:32 pm

Why haven’t they kicked Mason and Flores out already!! They broke the rules, give them what they got coming already

CCSep 30, 2008 at 9:32 pm

• F

FredSep 30, 2008 at 9:06 am

Hi Hector,

here is a copy of the state law. it’s called the brown act.

Open Meeting Laws in California: The Brown Act
    THE BASICS
    Meetings of public bodies must be “open and public,” actions may not be secret, and action taken in violation of open meetings laws may be voided. (§Â§ 54953(a), 54953(c), 54960.1(d))
    WHO’S COVERED
    • Local agencies, including counties, cities, school and special districts. (§ 54951)
    • “Legislative bodies” of each agency–the agency’s governing body plus “covered boards,” that is, any board, commission, committee, task force or other advisory body created by the agency, whether permanent or temporary. (§ 54952(b))
    • Any standing committee of a covered board, regardless of number of members. (§ 54952(b))
    • Governing Bodies of Non-profit corporations formed by a public agency or which includes a member of a covered board and receives public money from that board. (§ 54952(c))

54953. (a) All meetings of the legislative body of a local agency shall be open and public, and all persons shall be permitted to attend any meeting of the legislative body of a local agency, except as otherwise provided in this chapter.
    (b)(1) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the legislative body of a local agency may use teleconferencing for the benefit of the public and the legislative body of a local agency in connection with any meeting or proceeding authorized by law. The teleconferenced meeting or proceeding shall comply with all requirements of this chapter and all otherwise applicable provisions of law relating to a specific type of meeting or proceeding.
    (2) Teleconferencing, as authorized by this section, may be used for all purposes in connection with any meeting within the subject matter jurisdiction of the legislative body. All votes taken during a teleconferenced meeting shall be by roll call.
    (3) If the legislative body of a local agency elects to use teleconferencing, it shall post agendas at all teleconference locations and conduct teleconference meetings in a manner that protects the statutory and constitutional rights of the parties or the public appearing before the legislative body of a local agency. Each teleconference location shall be identified in the notice and agenda of the meeting or proceeding, and each teleconference location shall be accessible to the public. During the teleconference, at least a quorum of the members of the legislative body shall participate from locations within the boundaries of the territory over which the local agency exercises jurisdiction. The agenda shall provide an opportunity for members of the public to address the legislative body directly pursuant to Section 54954.3 at each teleconference location.
    (4) For the purposes of this section, “teleconference” means a meeting of a legislative body, the members of which are in different locations, connected by electronic means, through either audio or video, or both. Nothing in this section shall prohibit a local agency from providing the public with additional teleconference locations.
    (c) No legislative body shall take action by secret ballot, whether preliminary or final.

54953.1. The provisions of this chapter shall not be construed to prohibit the members of the legislative body of a local agency from giving testimony in private before a grand jury, either as individuals or as a body.

54953.3. A member of the public shall not be required, as a condition to attendance at a meeting of a legislative body of a local agency, to register his or her name, to provide other information, to complete a questionnaire, or otherwise to fulfill any condition precedent to his or her attendance. If an attendance list, register, questionnaire, or other similar document is posted at or near the entrance to the room where the meeting is to be held, or is circulated to the persons present during the meeting, it shall state clearly that the signing, registering, or completion of the document is voluntary, and that all persons may attend the meeting regardless of whether a person signs, registers, or completes the document.

54954.2. (a) At least 72 hours before a regular meeting, the legislative body of the local agency, or its designee, shall post an agenda containing a brief general description of each item of business to be transacted or discussed at the meeting, including items to be discussed in closed session. A brief general description of an item generally need not exceed 20 words. The agenda shall specify the time and location of the regular meeting and shall be posted in a location that is freely accessible to members of the public.

• F

FredSep 30, 2008 at 4:06 pm

Hi Hector,

THE BASICS
    Meetings of public bodies must be “open and public,” actions may not be secret, and action taken in violation of open meetings laws may be voided. (§§ 54953(a), 54953(c), 54960.1(d))
    WHO’S COVERED
    ”¢ Local agencies, including counties, cities, school and special districts. (§ 54951)
    ”¢ “Legislative bodies” of each agency–the agency’s governing body plus “covered boards,” that is, any board, commission, committee, task force or other advisory body created by the agency, whether permanent or temporary. (§ 54952(b))
    ”¢ Any standing committee of a covered board, regardless of number of members. (§ 54952(b))
    ”¢ Governing Bodies of Non-profit corporations formed by a public agency or which includes a member of a covered board and receives public money from that board. (§ 54952(c))

• P

PhilSep 30, 2008 at 7:23 am

Student government within the CSU is governmened by whats referred to as the Gloria Romero Open Meetings Act of 2000. Full text can be found at:

http://law.justia.com/california/codes/edc/89305-89307.4.html

It states that the legislature (aka senate) “may” use closed session to discuss employee issues. Certainly it is appropriate to discuss, for instance, the Executive Director in closed session…she is permanent, full-time employee. However, discussing the status of student leaders, I feel, is outside the scope of what this document means. I don’t think its an attempt at back-door politics to prevent students from openingly hearing about their student leaders and their punishments for committing crimes and violating the bylaws. Furthermore, it says they “may” use closed session — not that they “must”. It is their choice to do so, and their CHOICE to alienate and remove the public…

• P

PhilSep 30, 2008 at 2:23 pm

• H

Hector CerdaSep 30, 2008 at 6:59 am

hay PHIL you should come to the meeting, it will be interesting to see how our ASI communicates with the students.

In regards to the closed session thing i totally agree. having closed sessions is an opressive method when we claim to have a democratic society.

tell us more about the closed session in regards to state law.

• H

Hector CerdaSep 30, 2008 at 1:59 pm

• P

PhilSep 30, 2008 at 6:43 am

Graham thank you. I truly hope you do what you say and remove these two executives. They violated our trust, University policy, ASI code of conduct, state law, and managed to get us sued. It is repulsive they are still here.

However, I don’t think your being truthful that “everyone is allowed to sit in”. Thus far, you have cloaked yourself under “closed session” when it is optional as per state law. If you really want students to see everything you do, don’t hide — deal with this in public session.

Thank you.

• P

PhilSep 30, 2008 at 1:43 pm

Thank you.

• H

Hector CerdaSep 29, 2008 at 8:20 pm

GRAHAM its good to see an ASI senator come on and share some words. I cant say the same about other ASI leaders, i am most sure they read these message boards. I like your humor, im sure your time sheet is not falsified. Rest assured i will be at that ASI meeting on Wednesday.

I just hope that many other students that seek questions to this complicated issue will come to the ASI meeting. Yet to be honest, my experince with ASI has been most dissapointing.

• H

Hector CerdaSep 30, 2008 at 3:20 am

• G

Graham WahlbergSep 29, 2008 at 7:25 pm

My name is exactly as written above, and I am the Senator for the College of Engineering. We all understand your concerns and frustrations about this situation and we will deal with it, as scheduled, at our next ASI meeting this upcoming Wednesday. Anybody is allowed to sit in on this meeting and politely ask questions to clarify any misgivings they have about any issue concerning Fresno State Students and Associated Students Inc. You must remember we are here to serve you and are doing everything in our capacity to do so. Everyone is acting as if we have been sitting on our thumbs the last few weeks. Look at my time sheet (not falsified) and you’ll know we have all been putting in hours for you, regardless of your opinions. Look forward to seeing you at the meeting.

• G

Graham WahlbergSep 30, 2008 at 2:25 am

JCSep 29, 2008 at 6:23 pm

I would like to see the CSU Fresno Police step into this matter and arrest the one(s) responsible for purchasing alcohol for a minor. I guess the whole “California law” about that being prohibited just kind of got left out of the whole situation. I have nothing against anyone, but if you are going to do something illegal with MY money, then screw you right back!

JCSep 30, 2008 at 1:23 am

curiousSep 29, 2008 at 5:17 pm

Marc,

I wish I did have some information to share. I’m just reacting to the fact that something doesn’t quite add up here. A person brings attention to the misdeeds of some students and shortly finds herself investigated, offered money to drop any claims and then is fired? To anyone who has ever operated in the real world (outside the University), it just smells. Remember, Mackee may have made accusations, but he is not the individual who decided to fire Tremp. That begs the question – why would they make that decision? The best spin you could put on it would be to say the executives at the Auxiliary and probably the University, who signed off on this were incompetent. They would have to have been oblivious to what was going on at ASI, and ignorant of the HR ramifications of what they did. That is the best you can say of this decision. I just find that explanation a little hard to swallow. Maybe they didn’t want their failure to properly oversee the ASI to come out and were arrogant enough to think that this was the way to make it go away. I don’t know, but it certainly raises my suspicions about what people in high places might want to cover up. When in doubt, I say follow the money and see where it leads.

Ultimately, my point was to say that this is an issue that goes beyond Mackee and Sandra. Students are paying the Auxiliary for managerial, accounting and HR services and should question how well they are serving in that function and examine how ASI operates.

curiousSep 30, 2008 at 12:17 am

Marc,

• T

TeresaSep 29, 2008 at 3:28 pm

Doesnt it seem werid that the Collegian reports that the “financial documents” in question somehow got misplaced?

Check the shredder, i wonder what financial documents are in question?

• T

TeresaSep 29, 2008 at 10:28 pm

marc cohenSep 29, 2008 at 2:29 pm

CURIOUS do you know something we dont? speak up tell us what you know. some of what you say makes sense but in what way?

marc cohenSep 29, 2008 at 9:29 pm

curiousSep 29, 2008 at 10:13 am

Don’t get suckered into focusing only on the actions of Mackee and Sandra. They deserve the criticism they are getting and more punishment than has been received so far, but there is something not quite right with this story. Remember, the Auxiliary is paid by ASI to provide management, accounting and HR services, so their fingerprints are all over every aspect of this story. Where was the managerial and fiscal oversight for which they are paid? Why would they want to get rid of the person who made them aware of improper conduct and expenditures by certain members of the ASI? Remember, Tremp wasn’t investigated until after she blew the whistle. She was accused of making unauthorized expenditures and falsifying time sheets, clearly very serious matters, yet she was offered 4 months severance if she would go away and keep quiet. Serious questions should be raised about the role of the Auxiliary in this matter and their handling of events. The best that can be said is that they badly mismanaged this situation and students need to demand that the University demonstrate that the individuals in charge are performing competently and ethically.

curiousSep 29, 2008 at 5:13 pm

jared harperSep 29, 2008 at 8:39 am

Here is how it works you guys. You run for ASI prez and tell the student body to raise fees for the IRA (but it really to pay for lawsuits fees) Then you get elected and most liekly from the lawsuit story it now seems you force yourself into election.

Then when elected you do what you want and spend all you want and the University pats you on the back and does nothing if you get into a jam like this one because remeber you helped raise student fees. You gotta be paid back no matter what.

doesnt this all make sense?

jared harperSep 29, 2008 at 3:39 pm

doesnt this all make sense?

• F

FredSep 29, 2008 at 6:02 am

What the hell is going on with the senate. why don’t they kick him out?

• F

FredSep 29, 2008 at 1:02 pm

• P

PhilSep 29, 2008 at 2:09 am

Once again, Mackee and Sandra need to RESIGN now. They created this mess, and disgraced the University, and they need to pay for it.

What the hell is the Senate doing? Apparently nothing!

• P

PhilSep 29, 2008 at 9:09 am

• T

Tollman, JSep 29, 2008 at 1:42 am

If an employee has no record of issues and only superb reviews, and is then terminated like this in the midst of a scandal with President Scumbag himself, it obviously shows she was discriminated against. I just wish she sued Mason and Flores personally, too. They deserve the worst of what could come to them.

And what kind of a person would tell her she was ‘too old to work with students’? WTF!

• T

Tollman, JSep 29, 2008 at 8:42 am