Fans find alternative methods to get tickets

Jose Carlos Fajardo / Contra Costa Times

Sold out. It̢۪s been a common theme lately when talking about Bulldog fans looking for tickets.

The Wisconsin game sold out of tickets a week before the showdown, while the game at UCLA has been sold out for weeks.

“I don’t have tickets, but a few of my friends from high school go to UCLA,â€Â said junior Collins Okoroike. “I’m going to try and get a student guest, but I’ll try anything.â€Â

The game is shaping up to be a tough road game for the Bulldogs, while the Bruins have high expectations of their own with new head coach Rick Neuheisel.

UCLA is coming off two consecutive losses to BYU and Arizona and Fresno State defeated Toledo in double overtime Saturday night.

Bus trips organized

“Both teams could have no wins and we’d still be very excited,â€Â said alumni Fred and Susan James. “We got our tickets through the UCLA ticket office a while back and have two buses going up with a total of 102 people.â€Â

Fresno State also has organized buses for students going down to the game, but those tickets went quickly as well. However, college-age fans won̢۪t be the only ones making the trip to Pasadena.

Tickets available — for a price

Bob and Barbara Myers, both 80 years old, started tailgating on the track at Ratcliffe Stadium, the old home of Fresno State football.

They used to travel almost anywhere the Bulldogs would play, but age is slowing their traveling down a bit these days.

“We don’t travel nearly as much as we used to, but this is a game we circled a while back,â€Â said the couple. “We got our tickets through the Go Bulldogs Web site, but people looking for some should check out StubHub.â€Â

StubHub is a service that allows people who have already bought tickets to resell their seats if the ticket is in high demand.

Currently, there are 590 tickets up for sale on the Web site, where the prices range anywhere from $15-350 per ticket.

Fans may think $350 a ticket is too much, but there is something special about this game.

“I got my ticket through a friend, because his uncle is a booster member for UCLA,â€Â said sophomore Josh Donohoe. “We’re going to make a weekend out of it, but I can‘t wait to see the Rose Bowl.â€Â

History contributes to fans’ interest

The Rose Bowl in Pasadena is the home of the Bruins and one of the most historic college football stadiums in the nation.

It hosted events in the 1932 and 1984 Olympics and became part of the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) series in 1998. The Rose Bowl holds roughly 92,500 people, making it one of the better atmospheres to play at.

The Bruins lead the head-to-head series 6-1 over the Bulldogs.

“There is definitely something special about the Rose Bowl,â€Â alumnus Richard Bramer said. “We have a group of over 100 people going down there to tailgate. It’s going to be one fun game.â€Â

Bramer played in the first-ever game at Bulldog Stadium. In addition, the Bramer family has tailgated for more than 25 years at the stadium.

It is certain that the Bulldogs will be well-represented in Pasadena come Sept. 27, and the Bramer family will be rooting for them from a skybox.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Mike hamlinOct 4, 2009 at 8:25 pm

y?

Mike hamlinOct 5, 2009 at 3:25 am

y?

Mike hamlinOct 5, 2009 at 3:25 am

y?

AaronSep 25, 2008 at 6:31 pm

What’s the code to get tickets near the Fresno State fans? I live in Pasadena, but I want to roll with the red wave! Go Dogs!

AaronSep 26, 2008 at 1:31 am

AaronSep 26, 2008 at 1:31 am

• H

Heather BillingsSep 24, 2008 at 4:40 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment
    I’m going to say the same thing here I said on Jessica Dugan’s Dane Cook column: Please remember to be courteous in your responses.

• H

Heather BillingsSep 24, 2008 at 11:40 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment

SarahSep 24, 2008 at 2:49 pm

Totally right Pat. The writer of this article and Mike, (which are probably the same person) need to actually know something about sports to write columns for sports right? Maybe if he stopped watching Cartoon Network or Lifetime, he would realize some simple things about sports. But, I guess you really can’t expect much of of him due to the fact that this isn’t Northwestern or some reputable journalism school. Ah Well. Back to Lifetime for you son.

SarahSep 24, 2008 at 9:49 pm

• P

Pat MurraySep 24, 2008 at 11:04 am

Check out this link from the LA Times:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/bruin/2008/09/ucla-arizona–2.html

There’s a photo there that shows all the empty seats and the sparse crowd at last week’s UCLA game against Arizona. There will be lots of empty seats for this week’s game against the Bulldogs as well. UCLA rarely gets sellouts except for the USC game every two years.

• P

Pat MurraySep 24, 2008 at 6:04 pm

Check out this link from the LA Times:

• R

RyanSep 23, 2008 at 2:22 pm

To actually use an alternative ticket outlet source of stubhub shows that the writer is clueless about getting tickets. So let me get this straight. There are only two ways to get tickets. Through the visting team’s ticket allotment or through stubhub who I think even people in a coma wouldn’t use. Really big sports fan I guess. BWAAHAHAHA.

• R

RyanSep 23, 2008 at 9:22 pm

• R

RyanSep 23, 2008 at 2:15 pm

?????? So I guess buying tickets through the ticket office at the Rose Bowl is illegal too? Or I guess buying them on the black market website known as ticketmaster is also illegal? You can also buy them at such secret places as some back alley store named Costco of all places. Well there are three illegal spots to get tickets for the game against UCLA to totally support your argument. BWAHAHAHA. Mike you are totally right.
    It sure is great that fans of visiting schools only are allowed to buy from the ticket allotment given to schools for their away games. I mean, for such unimportant games such as the USC-Ohio State game, it would be asinine for fans of Ohio State to buy tickets through other means to see their team play. I mean come on, who wants to get off their lazy rear end and buy tickets through another outlet beside the allotment that the visiting team gets????? Did you know that USC has a good football team???? I know, who would have known. BWAHAHA. Pathetic.

• R

RyanSep 23, 2008 at 9:15 pm

MikeSep 23, 2008 at 10:14 am

Dude…he’s not saying all 92,000 seats are sold out. Yes, the game has lost some hype due to UCLA losing, but that’s not the point. He’s saying the Fresno State tickets sold out. If you know about sports you know they only give a certain amount to the visiting team. And whoever commented on getting them through scalpers. lol, A writer can’t put that, because they’re illegal. You guys need to get it right, not the writer…

MikeSep 23, 2008 at 5:14 pm

• E

EricSep 22, 2008 at 9:53 pm

I agree with Steven. The writer obviously did not do his homework. Time to read the Barkboard, at the very MINIMUM, Chief! Yes, the 9,000 seats allocated for Fresno State fans through the Fresno State ticket office are sold out. But it’s absolutely uninformed and lazy to conclude that this is the only way to get tickets, and/or that the game is sold out. Fresno fans can still get tickets though Ticketmaster, and additionally, they may use a Fresno State-specific code to acquire tickets in the sections of, or near to, other Fresno State fans. If that fails, there will most definitely be cheap (and I mean CHEAP) tickets available at the box office, or from a scalper at the game.

Arizona @ UCLA only sold approximately 65k tickets to a 92,000 seat stadium – and that’s a conference game. UCLA lost to Arizona in a bad way, as well as their previous game to a non-AQ BYU team (blow out). Consider the fact that Arizona brought about 4-5,000 fans to that game, and the fact UCLA will probably bring fewer of their fans to the Fresno game as a result of two straight losses, and that leaves an estimated 35-40k+ tickets available for Fresno fans…that’s including the 9,000 tickets the Fresno State ticket office had available. Surely the writer of this article cannot be assuming that Fresno State fans have already gone out on their own and purchase 19-34k more tickets through alternative methods than were purchased for the 2005 USC game….combined??

Thorough research. THE most important aspect of journalism.

• E

EricSep 23, 2008 at 4:53 am

StevenSep 22, 2008 at 2:46 pm

This article is so dumb it lacks description. The game is far from sold out you idiots. The Rose Bowl will be lucky to have 50,000 people in it on Saturday. UCLA is truly one of the worst football teams in the nation. Their fans don’t care about this matchup. Why doesn’t the writer of this article do some fact-checking to realize that any fan could show up on gameday and buy ticketts in sections which will be totally empty. Get a clue.

StevenSep 22, 2008 at 9:46 pm