Falling into fashion

See a photo gallery of student fashions.

Joe Edgecomb / The Collegian

Fall semester at Fresno State means an influx of freshmen, Canada geese and football fans. Fall also signals a change in the fashion world’s popular trends. The Collegian talked to six students about how their styles change — or don’t — as the air turns colder.

Q: How do you define your personal style?

Danielle Deprima, communications major: I don̢۪t think I̢۪m like the prep or emo or gothic. I don̢۪t think I have a particular style. I wear a lot of black because it̢۪s easy. If I go out, I̢۪m going to wear high heels. If I̢۪m going to school, I̢۪ll wear flip-flops. If it̢۪s raining, I̢۪ll wear Uggs.

Mariann Naoom, sports medicine major: Whatever’s comfortable — and sometimes fashionable.

Griffin Snyder, business finance major: My personal sense of style is kind of scenester. I like to mesh what̢۪s coming out of San Francisco and L.A.

Vania Garcia, art major: Girly, subject to change, maybe a little offbeat.

Sandy Yang, nursing major: I̢۪m more trendy. I go with what̢۪s in, but I wear something old with it.

Cameron Hilare, mass communications and journalism major: I guess you could say urban. I usually wear mostly dark colors but sometimes I̢۪ll randomly wear bright colors.

Q: How does your style vary from summer to fall?

Snyder:
A lot of bright colors in the summer. In the winter I like to layer with a lot of different layers.

Garcia:
In summer it̢۪s a bare and a lot more playful, and in winter it̢۪s a lot more conventional.

Yang: I like wearing a little bit darker colors during the summer and brighter during the winter. It̢۪s darker and rainier, so I like to stand out more.

Hilare: I wear dark colors in the fall.

Q: Where̢۪s your favorite place to shop?

Naoom: I shop at cheaper stores like Ross and Target. I got [my shirt] at Torrid. It̢۪s my favorite store, but it̢۪s expensive.

Snyder: Yoshi Now. I get most of my clothing secondhand. Your dollar stretches a lot farther.

Garcia: Ross, because of the prices.

Yang: Styles For Less and Ross. I̢۪ve gone to thrift stores, but I don̢۪t find anything.

Hilare: My favorite brand would be Jay-Z̢۪s line. Now I̢۪m getting more into the professional world, so I do a lot of collared shirts.

Joe Edgecomb / The Collegian

Q: What̢۪s your favorite or most unique accessory?

Deprima: Sunglasses when it̢۪s sunny out.

Naoom: I like black purses. I just feel like they go with things better and then I don̢۪t have to accessorize every purse.

Snyder: I have these shoes that were just given to me. They̢۪re vinyl with tiger stripes. Someone had them in their closet and didn̢۪t want them. She said her brother bought them at Mervyn̢۪s or something for a Halloween costume and only wore them once.

Garcia: I̢۪m wearing my mom̢۪s earrings. She̢۪ll find out when she gets home. This is my favorite belt. I don̢۪t like [belts] when they̢۪re bulky; I like ribbons and things. It came on a skirt. I actually bought it for the belt. I̢۪ve worn the skirt like twice.

Yang: Gold necklaces. I like bling. I love flats, but I can̢۪t stand heels. I̢۪ll fall in them.

Q: What̢۪s the most you̢۪ve ever paid for an item of clothing?

Deprima: Probably $350 for a pair of jeans.

Naoom: $50 on a pair of pants. I̢۪m not a fan of spending a ton of money on clothes.

Snyder: I think $80 for pants.

Garcia: Maybe like $50 for a pair of jeans. Even if I’m like, ‘I have to have that,’ I won’t buy it if it’s overpriced. I actually got an entire outfit [at a thrift store] and wore it to a wedding.

Yang: For clothing, I̢۪d say the most is $25.

Hilare: I̢۪m pretty cheap. I have big feet, so shoes are probably the most expensive. A pair of Jordans probably cost me $150. Nowadays, urban wear is very expensive. All races are wearing it, so the demand is high.