Ex-director pursues legal action against ASI

Former university employee Annie Tremp to file lawsuit for wrongful termination

Recent actions by ASI executives may have Fresno State facing another lawsuit.

Former ASI Executive Director Annie Tremp, a university employee who is not a student, will pursue legal action against California State University, Fresno, Association, Inc., also known as Auxiliary Services.

ASI receives professional services such as management and accounting from the auxiliary. The auxiliary also handles ASI personnel matters.

Tremp̢۪s attorney, Michael J.F. Smith, told The Collegian that a complaint citing wrongful termination will be filed today at Fresno County Superior Court.

“Annie felt she was punished for bringing attention to the recent activities of two ASI executives,â€Â Smith said.

ASI President Mackee M. Mason and Executive Vice President Sandra Flores admitted to violating the “substance free pledgeâ€Â during the ASI retreat in July, where underage drinking took place. The university is also investigating related financial documents.

According to Smith, Tremp was put on paid administrative leave early this semester. Tremp was later dismissed, he said, after she refused to accept a deal posed to her by Auxiliary Services administrators.

In a telephone interview with The Collegian last week, Tremp said her only intention was to inform administrators of the activities of Mason and Flores.

“If all of the receipts and expense forms had been fully examined and investigated, as I suggested, it would have been quite clear that what happened at the ASI retreat this past July is just the tip of the iceberg,â€Â Tremp told The Collegian last week.

Also in an interview last week, Paul Oliaro, Ph.D., vice president of student affairs, told The Collegian he could not discuss Tremp̢۪s status because it is a personnel matter.

Smith said that Tremp will seek monetary compensation.

“Tremp feels her termination was an unfair action by university officials,â€Â Smith said.

The university has a policy on complaint procedures for allegations of retaliation and disclosure of improper government activities. It states that “no employee of this university or applicant for employment shall be retaliated against for having disclosed improper government activities.â€Â

Smith said that he and Tremp are communicating with the auxiliary̢۪s attorneys but have yet to formally meet.

Recent Fresno State lawsuits
The university has settled four high-profile civil cases in the past year, totaling more than $17 million.

̢ۢ Pictured above, former women̢۪s basketball coach Stacy Johnson-Klein: $9 million

̢ۢ Pictured left, women̢۪s softball coach Margie Wright: $600,000

̢ۢ Former Associate Athletic Director Diane Milutinovich: $3.5 million

̢ۢ Former volleyball coach Lindy Vivas: $4.5 million, currently under appeal

$100
$500

$100
$500

Sara QuinteroSep 28, 2008 at 4:58 pm

actually DW youre not portraying the facts correctly, the Fresno bee reports that…

“Mason suspended Tremp and initiated an investigation, and she eventually was accused of making unauthorized expenditures and falsifying her timesheets.”

The key concept is “she was accused by Mason”….. the charges are not against Tremp, read clearly. Now i see why this school gets hit with lawsuits, students dont know how to digest what they read. It would seem that if Tremp was accused of this and she can prove Mason wrong, then hes in hot water.

Im sure she is confident she has documented her time sheets and stuff or else she wouldnt be suing us the students over Masons actions.
    read for yourself at the below link

http://www.fresnobee.com/263/v-textonly/story/897627.html

Sara QuinteroSep 28, 2008 at 11:58 pm

read for yourself at the below link

• P

PhilSep 28, 2008 at 10:39 am

I hope she wins, and I hope that she presses charges against Mason and Flores. They are despicable and worthless, and should not be representing us as students.

• P

PhilSep 28, 2008 at 5:39 pm

• E

Eat my dogSep 28, 2008 at 7:25 am

Hay where have i been, when did all this happen? i didnt realize this stuff was going on on our own campus. Maybe i should ease up on the partying and sober up for once.

• E

Eat my dogSep 28, 2008 at 2:25 pm

Sara QuinteroSep 27, 2008 at 8:00 pm

As a freshamn i am amazed at how crazy this Fresno State campus is with lawsuits. When i used to hear about them on the news i thought theres no way so many people could be discriminated against. But now that i am part of the campus things are different.

I have begun to see how corrupt the campus is.

Sara QuinteroSep 28, 2008 at 3:00 am

dwSep 27, 2008 at 4:45 pm

Of course, the lawsuit revealed some interesting news: that Tremp was removed for wrong-doing (unauthorized spending and falsifying her timesheets, according to The Bee). IF those charges can be substantiated, her lawsuit goes absolutely nowhere.

dwSep 27, 2008 at 11:45 pm

• H

Heather BillingsSep 27, 2008 at 2:21 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment

According to her own statement, VP of Finance Lauren Johnson’s responsibilities were assumed by another individual over the summer because Ms. Johnson was not in the country. You can hear her speak at the end of this video: http://collegian.csufresno.edu/2008/09/19/asi-speaks-students-call-for-action/

• H

Heather BillingsSep 27, 2008 at 9:21 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment

• P

Pissed off BulldogSep 27, 2008 at 8:23 am

Hmm. Interesting points. Maybe nobody is innocent…

• P

Pissed off BulldogSep 27, 2008 at 3:23 pm

jared harperSep 27, 2008 at 12:35 am

Jack you bring in some good points. But remeber, its hard for the Finance exec to do that, because the VP of finance campaigned with the ASI prez and now that would be going back on a campaign buddy.

do you smell favoritism? cause its smelling up the entire kitchen of cooked up lawsuits.

jared harperSep 27, 2008 at 7:35 am

• P

PhilSep 27, 2008 at 12:11 am

DAMN! What is going on in asi? Can’t these people get their heads out of their you know what and respect the law or employees.

Look at all the bad press theyre putting on us students…kick ’em out. This is whacked.

http://www.fresnobee.com/263/story/897627.html
    http://www.kmph.com/Global/story.asp?S=9083877&nav=menu612_2_2
    http://www.ksee24.com/news/local/29823969.html
    http://www.cbs47.tv/mostpopular/story.aspx?content_id=ebc1ca0a-ad15-4bfa-9c08-91dd6644850b
    http://www.ksee24.com/news/local/29784564.html

And thats only on the lawsuit, not the execs who STILL HAVE NOT BEEN REMOVED. Pathetic if you ask me.

• P

PhilSep 27, 2008 at 7:11 am

JackSep 27, 2008 at 12:06 am

Britney — even though only two execs purchased booze, all three will be held responsible. The vp for finance could have stopped the disrcrimination. She could have stepped in. But she didnt — she let Mackee and Sandra do whatever they wanted and harass and go astray. If she really wanted to fix it she’d fix it — get them both out of office. Words are one thing, action is another.

And isnt it weird that the vp for finance didnt have proper oversight on this crap? I mean, that is her JOB!

JackSep 27, 2008 at 7:06 am

jared harperSep 27, 2008 at 12:01 am

Wow youre savy, what do you think i meant, did you not read the same story as i did above. it mentions only two ASi execs. metaphorically spekaing when i said “ASI EXECS” i meant the two referred in the article not a third or any other number.

Go ahead shoot another useless sentence that shows your not paying attention to this article.

jared harperSep 27, 2008 at 7:01 am

Britney SpearsSep 26, 2008 at 10:17 pm

And by “ASI Execs” you mean 2 of the three, correct? Hope that’s not another “useless thing,” but I feel it’s important to point out.

Britney SpearsSep 27, 2008 at 5:17 am

jared harperSep 26, 2008 at 6:17 pm

ERIK C. !! YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME RIGHT?
    You actually think student fees will not be used to pay any part of legal fees? Where does the money come from? it dont get printed at our new crappy print 2.0 stations it has to come from those that make this campus run and that is the students.

Ok first off you either drive around with no car insurance or you have a history of vechicle accidents and you think the money to pay the premiums that rise will just keep coming out of your bottomless pockets.

Second, i hope you dont consider yourself a top notch student with that type of mentality

I find it coincidental that you are regurgitating the exact quote that MACKEE MASON posted on these boards when students were concerned about the rising IRA fees at a time when lawsuits are plaquing the campus.

But then again does seem to think he can do what he wants, and pass on the buck for we students to pay for it.

Oh and brittney spears, true that one side cannot be legally disclosed however, our ASi execs had the chance to make things right for all students and fix it, rather than hide and let it come to a lawsuit.

go ahead shoot back at me and say more useless things

jared harperSep 27, 2008 at 1:17 am

• I

IMPEACH MASON & FLORES!Sep 26, 2008 at 4:16 pm

The Top 5 Student Body President Scandals

SEE: http://www.collegeotr.com/college_otr/the_top_5_student_body_president_scandals_12280

#2. Mackee Mason and Sandra Flores
    Just last week, (Fresno State) Student Body President Elect Mackee Mason and Executive Vice President Sandra Flores found themselves in hot water after admitting to providing alcohol to minors at a university sanctioned retreat. The Fresno State students, who are on probation, are also accused of buying alcohol using university funds, though Mason claims the drinks were only mistakenly charged to the university credit card.

• I

IMPEACH MASON & FLORES!Sep 26, 2008 at 11:16 pm

#2. Mackee Mason and Sandra Flores

ChucklesSep 26, 2008 at 4:14 pm

Much ado about not much of anything. Tremp isn’t the first ASI office manager to be fired nor to sue. ASI has won every wrongful termination lawsuit ever filed against it. ASI has been a pathetic joke for 30 years.

ChucklesSep 26, 2008 at 11:14 pm

Britney SpearsSep 26, 2008 at 7:46 pm

There are two sides to every story–one side cannot be legally disclosed, though.

Britney SpearsSep 26, 2008 at 12:46 pm

• G

gmSep 26, 2008 at 11:45 am

Why thank you Erik! Everyone should feel so much better about illegal activity as long as their fees don’t go up. Let me dispel you of the notion that there is no cost to the University as long as they have insurance. Insurance is not free. The school pays a premium for that coverage. When a carrier keeps having to pay out settlements, that premium goes up. If you were an insurance company would you want to cover Fresno State right now?

I’m with Charles on this one. I’d like to know what is going on beneath the surface of this story. Mackee and Sandra might have taken the actions that got the headlines so far, but I get the sense something bigger is going on here. Why would Debbie Astone and the Auxilary Corp want to get rid of a whistle blower? Are they simply trying to cover-up their incompetence when it comes to the management and oversight they are supposed to provide (at a fee which comes out of student money)? Or is there something else going on with ASI money and the Auxilary? There may be a less conspiratorial explanation for all this but it is not as if there is no precedent on this campus for devious, behind-the-scences machinations involving money. Certainly the best you can say about this situation is that it was handled dismally by Ms. Astone and her cadre.

• G

gmSep 26, 2008 at 6:45 pm

• E

Erik C.Sep 26, 2008 at 11:06 am

Before all of the mud-slinging and blame games begin I just want to dispel any notion that students will suffer monetarily for this. The university, as in previous cases, has insurance for these types of matters. All expenses will be paid for with the insurance, NOT STUDENT FEES!

So if you are simply upset because your fees will have to go up- this is a misunderstanding and you have nothing to worry about.

• E

Erik C.Sep 26, 2008 at 6:06 pm

TBSep 26, 2008 at 10:24 am

Here we go again! Thanks Mackee and Sandra — not only have you managed to destroy our student government’s reputation and shame everyone around you, you’ve also gone and got us — the students — sued for it!

TBSep 26, 2008 at 5:24 pm

Charles W. FrankSep 26, 2008 at 8:51 am

Hmmm … is the Collegian going to send someone to cover and report on any trials / legal actions?

Could be interesting to see how much of the iceberg is submerged.

Charles W. FrankSep 26, 2008 at 3:51 pm

• I

InsanitySep 26, 2008 at 6:31 am

does our administration learn anything ever?

• I

InsanitySep 26, 2008 at 1:31 pm