Campus reacts to election

As the general election approaches the Nov. 4 polling date, more talk arises about the candidates, their running mates, the issues and the overall outcome of this long-awaited decision.

In regards to the election, Janet Slagter of the women’s studies program said, “I’m glad we’re having one.â€Â

Slagter, a registered Green Party member, continued by saying how a key part of this election seems to be that “the political advisor system tells the candidates ‘you have to move to the middle.’â€Â

Slagter felt that third party candidates should be given at least a little bit of coverage in the election, like the Green Party̢۪s Cynthia McKinney and Rosa Clemente, both interracial female running mates.

“There’s insufficient media coverage of candidates who are not Republican or Democrat,â€Â Slagter said.

“I would just like to see the candidates state their real beliefs, but I’m a little bit afraid they don’t have any,â€Â said Slagter, commenting on how “moving to the middleâ€Â keeps the candidates safe in the voters’ eyes but also takes away from their integrity as presidential hopefuls.

“[This election year ]is a close one,â€Â Derek Blevins, business management major and a former moderate voter, said. The recent addition of Sarah Palin pulled him from Obama’s side to McCain’s.

“She has the right ideas for the country,â€Â Blevins said, comparing Palin to the late John F. Kennedy in terms of her style and attitude.

A lot of attention has been put on Palin̢۪s seemingly rocky family life, but many believe that shouldn̢۪t be a major focus.

“She’s only human,â€Â said Taryn Sortod, biology major and registered Republican. Overall, she feels that Palin was a “wise choice.â€Â

Others disagree, however.

Sociology professor Deborah Helsel stressed how “incredibly annoyingâ€Â it is to hear that female voters, who once supported Hillary, are now supporting Palin.

“Sarah is not Hillary,â€Â Helsel said. “Not in terms of credentials, not in terms of experience, not in terms of positions on social issues, and to say that one woman’s as good as any woman is really insulting to us all.â€Â

“I don’t frankly hear Palin speaking from any depth about any of the central questions, and I find that worrisome,â€Â Slagter said.

Slagter even acknowledged that Joe Biden, running mate for Obama, has “skeletons in his closetâ€Â in reference to accusations of plagiarism in the past.

Some feel there isn̢۪t enough emphasis on certain issues. Slagter stressed the importance of immediate action regarding economic relief.

“There is plenty of evidence about how the economy is affecting people,â€Â Slagter said.

She discussed students̢۪ concerns about the price of gas as well as recent acts of people stealing gas out of parked cars.

Sortod agreed that gas prices and the economy have a major effect.

“The economy is a big issue, my friends are being affected by it,â€Â Sortod said.

“The extent to which the fallout of the economic crisis becomes apparent before the election I think is gonna effect how people will vote,â€Â said Slagter, referring to the current crisis on Wall Street. “We’re going to pay out of our pockets to bail out major economic institutions.â€Â

Helsel said that there needs to be a greater emphasis on health-related issues.

“Fifty percent of debt is health related,â€Â Helsel said, expressing a more urgent need for national health care, as well as day care.

A major term in this election is “change.â€Â This theme was originally sparked by Obama’s campaign to drive home how historically crucial this election is but has recently been used by McCain as well; possibly in connection to his female running mate.

“Obama’s message from the beginning has been one of change and hope,â€Â Helsel said. She described McCain’s tactic as “disingenuous and deceptive.â€Â

Sortod, however, felt that it was perfectly fine “as long as he sticks with what he originally stood for.â€Â
The one thing that everyone could agree on was the overall outcome, and that [the outcome] is very uncertain.

“I do not think it’s in the bag for anyone,â€Â Helsel said. “The only thing that concerns me is it still seems to be drawing those definitive lines between liberals and conservatives.â€Â

“We’re best when we come together,â€Â Helsel said.

Additional reporting by Heather Billings.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Barack ObamaSep 19, 2008 at 9:13 pm

We need change. What that change will consist of, I don’t know, but we need it. You see, the thing about change, is that it can be achieved with hope. And ladies and gentlemen, hope is something we all have. I hope McCain wins this election because he won’t turn us into a socialist country as fast as Obama would.

Barack ObamaSep 20, 2008 at 4:13 am

Barack ObamaSep 20, 2008 at 4:13 am