Inked

Blogging site contest paying college athletes to advertise their site — with tattoos

The trend in advertising techniques has taken a new twist with TheDirty.com, the official site for Nik Richie, “the world’s first reality blogger.” The site released information for their “Live Billboardâ€Â campaign that guarantees a $10,000 reward to any Pac 10 college quarterback who agrees to get the Web site’s URL address tattooed on his body. The same proposal is presented to any cheerleader on any NCAA team, offering them a prize of $5,000.

“We are really just getting the word out. We get a ton of emails asking about the specifics. I just wanna see a cheerleader with our logo,â€Â said Richie, founder of TheDirty.com.

The promotion currently does not have a winner said Roxanne Romero, senior account executive of 5W Public Relations, which represents Nik Richie as well as The Dirty.com.

Blog encompasses range of entertainment

TheDirty.com may not be a household name when it comes to everyday blog Web sites, but it seems to be popular as a gossip blog. The blogging topics range from celebrity gossip to postings of random pictures of college students partying — all of which are subject to comment and criticism at the hands of Nik Richie.

Rumored Fresno State involvement

This contest has gained a lot of buzz in the recent week with rumors circulating about colleges that might have potential participants. Fresno State has been listed as one of the rumored teams, but the reports have not been verified.

Blogger says site “worthy” of tattoo

The amount of the prize money offered for the winners of this contest is huge compared to the Web site̢۪s other tattoo contest, which is open to the general public and offers $100 to whoever gets the site̢۪s address as a tattoo.

“We really don’t feel that the incentive is purely monetary,” Ritchie said.” I would like to think it’s more because they are fans of the site that want to represent and our logo is sick.â€Â

When asked if the site’s address would be worthy of being a permanent mark on someone’s body or not, Ritchie said, “Of course…my whole back is tatted with our logo.â€Â

Contest presents possible NCAA violation

Aside from the simple debate of whether the contest is a smart move in the long term, a bigger question still stands: Does it go against NCAA rules regarding the acceptance of gifts from outside sources?

“I haven’t read that policy,â€Â said Ritchie.

This unclear line between what is allowed and what is not might be keeping some athletes from going through with the challenge. Another possible drawback is publicity that might not be appreciated by the player̢۪s teammates, coach and school.