Soccer drops home opener to Aggies, 3-2

Senior forward Nicole Gutierrez tries to evade a UC Davis defender during the Bulldogs̢۪ 3-2 loss Sunday afternoon to the Aggies. Gutierrez scored a goal for Fresno State and had four shots on goal.
Ryan Tubongbanua / The Collegian

Coming off a tough loss in its season opener at the University of San Francisco, the women̢۪s soccer team lost 3-2 Sunday in the home opener against UC Davis at Bulldog Stadium.

The Bulldogs are now 0-2 to start the season.

“We have a young team and it felt like we came out a little nervous,â€Â senior co-captain Ali Sill said.

The Bulldogs came out flat in the first half and UC Davis took advantage as it continuously put pressure on Fresno State goalkeeper Kaitlyn Revel.

In the 37th minute, the Aggies drew first blood as they went into halftime with a 1-0 lead.
“Our intensity level was disappointing,â€Â coach Steve Springthorpe said. “We didn’t give the crowd anything at all to cheer about in the first half.â€Â

Bulldogs rebound, some calls “questionable”

In the beginning of the second half, the Bulldogs came out much more aggressive. In the 55th minute, Fresno State̢۪s Bradlee DeShane sent a ball into the box as Elora Martinez finished it off with a touch in mid-air to tie up the game.

The Bulldogs continued to control the first 25 minutes of the second half when Nicole Gutierrez kicked a deflected pass into the net giving the team its first lead of the game in the 68th minute.

However, just one minute later, a scramble broke out inside the box resulting in a penalty kick for UC Davis as they tied the game back up at 2-2.

“There were certainly some questionable calls in the second half,â€Â Springthorpe said. “I wasn’t too happy with the free kick they rewarded Davis with ultimately leading to their penalty kick.â€Â

The Bulldogs received solid play from freshman Laura Dodd and first-year sophomore Martinez, but it wasn̢۪t enough as UC Davis would go up for good in the 83rd minute, capping off another loss for the Bulldogs.

“We definitely felt that we would at least split these first two games, but it was evident today that our fitness level is not where it needs to be,â€Â Springthorpe said. “Also, we are not winning enough balls and only playing in 20-minute spurts.â€Â

“Hopefully, we get back on track soon and build off last year’s good finish to the season,â€Â Sill said.

Freshmen, sophomores show promise

The women̢۪s soccer program continues to be among the top contenders in the Western Athletic Conference (WAC). The 2007 season proved that as the Bulldogs advanced to the conference tournament championship for the third straight year.

The team enters this season picked to finish second in the WAC Coaches̢۪ Poll.
“It’s no secret we are young, but we do have some experience and have a good core of returning players,â€Â Springthorpe said.

The Bulldogs lost eight seniors last season. The team will look to seniors and captains, Gutierrez, Sill and Selena Gill as 21 of the 25 players on the roster consist of either freshmen or sophomores.
“I’m excited with the addition of eight freshman and what they bring to the team this year and for years to come,â€Â Springthorpe said.

Some freshmen that will make an immediate impact are Dodd, Kendall VanDine, Danielle Solich and Molly Nizzoli.

Sophomores DeShane, Lauren Satterlee and Krissy Looney will look to play big roles this year as well.
“I feel it is realistic to say we can win the WAC,â€Â Satterlee said. “That is our goal going into every practice and game. We are much younger than last year’s team, but we have had good team leadership early on.â€Â

The Bulldogs will look to get back on track in their next game on August 29 at Cal State Bakersfield.

WAC Women̢۪s Soccer Preseason Coaches̢۪ Poll

Team (1st place votes)

1. Hawaii (7)
2. Fresno State (1)
3. Utah State
4.Boise State
5. Nevada
6. San Jose State
7. Idaho
8. Louisiana Tech

Points
49
40
37
30
28
18
14
8
*Senior midfielder Ali Sill and senior defender Selena Gill were picked for the Preseason All-WAC team. Sill is a two-time, First Team All-WAC selection.

The Bulldogs̢۪ next home game is Sunday, August 31, at 2 p.m. in Bulldog Stadium.