Bulldog Game Day

Ryan Tubongbanua / The Collegian

No. 25 Fresno State Bulldogs at Rutgers Scarlet Knights

TELEVISION: ESPN (COMCAST CHANNEL 32)
RADIO: KMJ-AM 580 AND KGST-AM 1600 (ESPN DEPORTES)

Breakdown: Bulldogs

Fresno State has had a busy offseason, including the hiring of new offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier and a preseason top 25 ranking.

The nationally televised matchup with the Scarlet Knights will be the Bulldogs̢۪ first opportunity to prove they belong in the Bowl Championship Series (BCS).

The Bulldogs return 10 starters on the offensive side of the ball and will be able to put points on the scoreboard on every team on their schedule, including Rutgers.

The key to the Bulldogs̢۪ offensive success in the past has been the ability of the team to create mismatches and get athletes out in space.

Tight end Bear Pascoe will play a big part in the offensive success, since there is no way to cover him in the passing game and he is essentially another offensive linemen when the Bulldogs run.

The defense returns six starters from 2007 and will have to rely on the experienced secondary to lead the unit.

Junior safety Moses Harris will have to step up and give the defense something to be confident about early.

The Bulldogs will be put to the test in this matchup against Rutgers and can̢۪t overlook the Scarlet Knights.

Breakdown: Scarlet Knights

The Rutgers Scarlet Knights are coming into the 2008 season after what some might call an “underperformingâ€Â showing last season.

After an 8-5 season, including a 3-4 record in Big East play last year, the Scarlet Knights are looking to get back into the top 25.

Running coach Greg Shiano̢۪s offense is fifth-year senior quarterback Mike Teel. He will need to step up the passing game this season to fill the void left by three-year starting tailback Ray Rice.

Rice was Rutgers̢۪ main source of offense for the past three seasons.

Easing the burden for Teel are junior Kenny Britt and senior Tiquan Underwood.

Both are explosive playmakers and each had over 1,000 yards receiving and seven scores.
Rutgers returns eight out of 11 players from last season on defense.

Leading the pack is safety Courtney Greene, who led the team with 101 tackles last season and was a second team all-conference selection.

Linebacker Kevin Malast is another force to be reckoned with on defense. He was 14th in the Big East with 92 tackles last season.

No doubt about it, Rutgers will be playing with a chip on its shoulder in the season opener and Fresno State won̢۪t be sneaking up on anybody.

Gridiron glimpse in the Garden State

Rutgers Player to Watch:
Tiquan Underwood, Receiver

2007 Record: 8-5 overall, 3-4 Big East.

2007 Bowl Game: Beat Ball State 52-30 in International Bowl.
Head coach: Greg Shiano (Eighth season, 38-46)

Offense: Pro-Set

Defense: 4-3

Key players:
QB Mike Teel, WR Kenny Britt, RB Mason Robinson, SS Courtney Greene, LB Kevin Malast

Series record:
This is Fresno State̢۪s first meeting with Rutgers and first time facing off against a Big East team.

Point Spread: Rutgers is favored by five points.

Ryan Tubongbanua / The Collegian

Keys to Victory

1. Establish the ground game early and often.
The Fresno State offense has always been centered on a strong running attack and 2008 will be no different.

2. No “Home Run Ballsâ€Â.
Giving up points is inevitable, but the key is to avoid the big, downfield pass. Plays like that can devastate a defense, especially in the first game of the season.

3. Keep composure in hostile environment.
Rutgers Stadium can be intimidating and Monday̢۪s contest is sold out. Fans will be loud on Labor Day.

Position Matchups

Fresno State Player to Watch:
Ryan Mathews, Tailback

When Fresno State runs:
Advantage – Fresno State
With a solid core of three tailbacks anchoring the backfield, the Bulldogs will be hard to stop, especially when they have seniors Bobby Lepori and Cole Popovich opening holes for them.

When Rutgers runs:
Advantage – Fresno State
With Ray Rice gone, the Scarlet Knights will have a tough time getting the ground game started with unproven tailback Mason Robinson.

When Fresno State passes:
Advantage – Fresno State
With weapons all over the field the most difficult decision for quarterback Tom Brandstater will be deciding who he wants to throw the ball to.

When Rutgers passes:
Advantage – Rutgers
The Scarlet Knights boast two Biletnikoff award nominees at receiver in Tiquan Underwood and Kenny Britt. Both of them had over 1,000 yards receiving last year.

Special teams:
Advantage – Rutgers
Fresno State has a new kicker and punter this season. Home teams usually hold the advantage here.

By Jimmy Graben and Logan Hopkins