Back 2 School

Ryan Tubongbanua / The Collegian

… but USU Productions gives students a getaway.

Classes have started and in a matter of days students will be swamped with homework, tests and presentations. So why not celebrate the last few hours of quiet before the storm?

On Wednesday night, many Fresno State students decided to do exactly that—by joining old friends, as well as new ones, for the showing of the movie “Iron Manâ€Â under the stars.

“We are really happy that the school decided to put on this event to bring everyone together,â€Â said Shannan Eddington, a junior majoring in biology.

Welcome Week gives students a break

The movie showing was organized by USU Productions as a part of “Welcome Week,â€Â a series of fun events happening during the first week of school.

These events help celebrate the beginning of the year and inform students about what the school and the community have to offer.

“It seems like a great way to socialize and see what’s going on,â€Â said Kristen Cartier, a freshman kinesiology major.

“[And] it’s a great chance to catch up with friends,â€Â said Christa Byrd, a freshman majoring in mechanical engineering.

Whether the reason was to catch up with friends or to take a break from classes or work, many people gathered next to the Bulldog Diamond to enjoy the movie.

“It was great because it gave me the chance to take a much needed break from work!â€Â said Alexis Newlin, a graduate student majoring in counseling and resident director at University Courtyard, the residence halls at Fresno State.

Movie kicks of year’s events

USU Productions wants to make this event even bigger in the next coming years.

Ryan Tubongbanua / The Collegian

Eric Morin, the USU Productions director and a senior majoring in family sciences, said the plan might involve a concert before the movie, maybe a barbecue and some icebreakers for people in the community to get to know one another.

“We want to make it more an afternoon event, [so] there is more time [for people] to mingle around,â€Â
added Morin.

But this movie showing is only the beginning of what USU Productions has planned for this year.

From exciting trips to Yosemite and San Francisco to comedy shows on campus, students will have a wide variety of entertainment choices to pick from.

USU Productions is also working on their main events, like homecoming, which they have been working on since March, and their annual denim drive. During last year̢۪s Denim Drive, 12,000 pairs of jeans were collected, and they hope to do the same or better this year.