‘TO NEW HEIGHTS’

President welcomes students, looks toward future of Fresno State

WELCOME back to an exciting time of change at Fresno State!

I want to take this opportunity to give a special welcome to our 2,819 new freshmen — the biggest freshman class in Fresno State history — our 1,650 new transfers and 760 new graduate students.

Our new and returning numbers total 22,600 students — a record enrollment for Fresno State.

As we start this academic year, we’re still excited about the extraordinary achievement in June of the Bulldog baseball team in winning the College World Series.

The success of the coaches and student-athletes is indicative of the Bulldog spirit ingrained in our campus. It’s what can happen when extraordinary teachers connect with students willing to give their all to achieve above what they thought was possible.

That happens regularly in our classrooms and on our playing fields, and it’s what makes Fresno State such a special place.

We will witness some dramatic changes on campus this year. Let me assure you that while you may experience some inconveniences, the administrators, faculty and staff will be working to make this time of change a positive experience for all of us.

Let’s look at the changes ahead of us.

First — and most exciting — is the new Madden Library, which is on schedule for a January grand opening.

In just a few short months we will be enjoying the biggest and best library – with a café! — in the California State University system.

As library faculty and staff move into the new building, other offices also will be moving, so please watch for information about those.

We also will have four other major building projects under way:

1. Construction of the first phase of multifamily housing has begun at Campus Pointe, the development project east of the Save Mart Center. It will be followed by retail, more housing and a hotel in next couple of years.

2. University High School will break ground in November on a permanent home near the Joyal Administration Building and Smittcamp Alumni House. There will be roadway improvements for a traffic-friendly student pickup and drop-off zone. The $15.5 million project will be funded from state public school resources, not CSU funds.

3. Parking lot enhancements will be implemented in Lot C.

4. Late this fall, work should begin on our new swimming complex northwest of the North Gym. The 50-meter, eight-lane pool and diving well should be finished by February 2010.

This year we also will continue our work to enhance the academic success of students by offering additional support for those struggling in their classes and by expanding supplemental instruction and learning communities. The Academic Testing Center again will be available.

I encourage our students — as well as faculty and staff — to continue participating in community service opportunities. Last year we provided our community with 667,000 hours of service — a whopping 40 percent increase over the previous year. Our goal is 1 million hours by 2011, when Fresno State celebrates its 100th anniversary.

You may recall that Athletics Director Thomas Boeh and I have been talking about creating a new era in Bulldog Athletics. Well, it’s happening, and not just on the baseball field. We hope to build on that success, on our conference championships in women’s golf, tennis and basketball and on our academic success (108 Academic All-Western Athletic Conference selections, five track and field and one baseball Academic All-Americans).

Our Campaign for Fresno State, a broad fundraising effort to benefit the entire campus well into the 21st century, will move into a public phase next year. But in just three years of the “quiet phase,” significant success has been achieved — over $80 million raised as of June 30.

And just last week we were pleased to announce a major commitment to the College of Engineering, which will transform that college forever. Bill Lyles, a long-time community leader and friend of the university, his family and their companies, have committed $10 million to Engineering. The university will match that amount over the coming years. The total impact over time will be $20 million for the college and a bigger role in meeting our region and nation’s needs for top engineering talent.

In recognition of this extraordinary gift I will consult with the Academic Senate Executive committee and then ask the CSU Board of Trustees to name the college the Lyles College of Engineering.

We often say Fresno State is “Powering the New California.” As you can see, our campus is very busy providing power to move Central California to new heights.

I hope each of you has a wonderful year at Fresno State!