Those who pay should get to play

The Fresno State athletic department let something slip past them two weeks ago as they announced the new swimming and diving coach and the creation of a new aquatics facility.

Fresno State desperately needs a new aquatics facility, one of the reasons that the athletics department hired Jeanne Fleck to head up the program.

Fleck built a state-of-the-art facility at Ohio State, where she was head coach of the Ohio State program for nine years.

During the introduction, Fleck was asked about the building. She hadn̢۪t started plans for the facility at that point, but she spoke about the role of the community.

“It takes a great deal [of support from the community],â€Â Fleck said.

The facility at Ohio State is within sight of the library, which is near the center of campus.

It is near the football stadium and right next to the recreation center for the students.

But it is not the location that is the interesting fact about the facility.

“When I was at Ohio State, athletics, rec and P.E. all worked together,â€Â Fleck said.

Hold on a second. The departments worked together? For the students? Fleck went out of her way to say that it is a good thing if the departments can work together.

Yeah, no kidding.

Especially when it is realized that a university is for the students.

“I had a great relationship with both the rec department and the P.E. department at Ohio State,â€Â Fleck said.

Wow, please continue that. But, as we in Fresno know all too well, bureaucracy is inevitable.

“It was the first time they had ever done that,â€Â Fleck said. “It’s been a challenge, but it’s also been a good thing that can bring the university together.â€Â

The McCorkle Aquatics Pavilion at Ohio State is not open 24 hours, but it̢۪s close.

Right now, the pavilion is open Monday through Friday from 5:45 a.m. to 10 p.m.

It̢۪s also open on Saturday and Sunday, but with a few less hours.

Every single student can go in anytime and find a lane.

They aren̢۪t turned away, they are welcomed.

How does that translate to Fresno State?

The big question is whether the Fresno State athletic department will take Fleck̢۪s example and begin working with the other student departments, or if a facility will be built that has limited access.

Take Bulldog Stadium, for example.

Running stairs used to be a workout that many people in the community enjoyed.

It was a great workout and for years, students were able to do it until suddenly a couple years ago the stadium got shut down.

Maybe people were stealing the juke moves of the running backs.

It was odd, because the community helped build and finance the stadium.

Strangely, something they helped create couldn̢۪t be used.

Now, if people are even out on the grass outside of the stadium, they are kicked off. Cleats and running shoes mess up the grass, I̢۪m told.

Apparently half-ton trucks or campers for tailgating don̢۪t do that.

The question becomes, how helpful is athletics toward the community and the student clubs and organizations?

Sure, fantastic sports and epic teams and endings are provided, but what about the students in clubs who love sports, but don̢۪t have a place to play?

The wrestling club has to practice at high schools. Maybe it makes sense because Fresno State donated or sold the Bulldog mats to local high schools.

The ultimate Frisbee club can̢۪t get a response back about using the fields around the football stadium for a tournament with multiple games going on at once.

They were told to use a rec softball field, for a sport that needs an area the size of a football field.

As soon as the club president said flat-out they needed the other fields, there has been no more response.

It̢۪s anybody̢۪s guess where the men̢۪s soccer club team practices.

I never see them on campus. It̢۪s probably because they can̢۪t get a field to play on consistently.

What happens if there is a men̢۪s swimming and diving club that wants to form?

Will they be able to use the planned Fresno State aquatics facility?

Will the community, who will undoubtedly support the aquatics facility and help build it, be able to use it?

I cringe at the sight of rambunctious little kids and tweens, but hey, they̢۪re people, too.

What kind of hours will the facility have for students who aren̢۪t on the Fresno State women̢۪s swimming and diving team?

Will the departments work together to create a wonderful environment where everyone can get in on the action and be happy?

Too bad it̢۪s not up to the students.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Joe G.Jul 4, 2008 at 12:11 pm

Being a former Ohio State student this really is the truth.

Some other things that aren’t mentioned in this article that Ohio State has to offer is the use of outdoor fields(real grass as well as the same synthetic turf used in Ohio Stadium) AND the use of indoor fields.

Ohio State has changed for the good in it’s usable space that ANY student can use. The state of the art Rec Center, adjacent to the Aquatics Center, within site of the newly refurbished Library, and in the shadows of Ohio Stadium is an even further example of how Ohio State has moved to being the leader in College Student Recreation.

It is something that many universities could learn from certainly.

Joe G.
    Columbus, Ohio

Joe G.Jul 4, 2008 at 7:11 pm

Joe G.
    Columbus, Ohio

Joe G.Jul 4, 2008 at 7:11 pm

Joe G.
    Columbus, Ohio