Baxter says goodbye (for now)

I ALREADY KNOW I WANT TO STICK AROUND Fresno State; great things are afoot here. Once I realized how much Fresno State had grown on me over the last few years, I realized also that I don̢۪t want to leave. Graduate school has never seemed so far away, or so certain.

But with the semester nearly over, this sentiment is too little and too late — the fierce urgency of inertia propels me forward. Fellow Fresno State students: Finality is upon us.

Once Prof. Kathryn Biacindo̢۪s CI 285 class gets out 10 minutes before the lively hour of 10 p.m., our instructional year is officially over. Most of you readers will return to Fresno State̢۪s uncomfortable left-handed desks this August, and a hypothetically luckier few move on next week. I sure don̢۪t feel lucky.

Other graduates must feel some twinge of satisfaction from getting their degree, and have some burning desire to leave Fresno once and for all. I envy them, because I don̢۪t feel that way. I wish I did, because it would make leaving Fresno once and for all that much easier.

Though it̢۪s easy to discredit Fresno State as a diploma mill for society̢۪s lowest common denominator, it̢۪s just as easy to get attached to the often-horrible bands in The Pit, the flavors of our Student Union, that leathery texture of Fresno air and the choking sounds that accompany all three.

Blame it on preemptive nostalgia, but I already think there’s plenty to get excited about. There’s that almost-done library of ours — non-bibliophiles will at least appreciate the end of major construction in the middle of campus — and both our football team and their Rutgers-tastic schedule looks pretty good. Message to Ryan Mathews: Screw up, and everyone will hate you, including the estimated 5,000 members of a local, vicious street gang named after your team. No pressure.

On those basic levels, I can say with a straight face that things are looking up for Fresno State. I can also say that we should be looking up higher.

In the next few years, today̢۪s freshmen, sophomores and juniors could work towards making a name for Fresno State as more than the local school. My challenge: help make Fresno State a haven for academia.

It won̢۪t be easy, but it needs to be done. It̢۪s telling when The Fresno Bee̢۪s albeit-long-ago-published profiles of Fresno State̢۪s most popular classes included sex-ed and a certain Drama 62 section whose professor would give out test answers in advance. Embarrassing.

Funnily enough, a humanities course on the legacy of ancient Greek and Roman cultures rounded out this triumvirate. I’m betting that Fresno’s slacker vote had nothing to do with this nomination. Taught by the always-excellent Honora Chapman — if she ever teaches second-semester Latin, I will sign up for it twice — that course apparently remained an interesting and engaging class without skimping on rigor or content. It validates my one of my favorite touchstones: Fresno State students don’t need to be pandered to.

Fresno State students: these years are your opportunity to galvanize yourself and your work ethic. If you have trouble mounting this yourself, I immediately recall two former professors who can help.

Dr. Gary Rice taught me what I know of writing, and Dr. Gary Gilroy taught me the merits of anal-retentive attention to detail. Both also modeled dedication into the candlelit hours of o̢۪-dark hundred; each had a work ethic up the wazoo; both kept up to their achievable, unerringly high standards.

This is not without precedent. When Bulldogs succeed on the gridiron, in the pitcher̢۪s circle or during stoppage time, it is because of that work ethic.

When musicians blow the minds of one-and-a-half thousand high school students in Bulldog Stadium one Saturday night in October, it is because of that attention to detail. When Fresno State journalists win high honors in the Gruner Awards, what Dr. Rice called “the Pulitzer of the Central Valley,â€Â it is because of those high standards.

That I can, off the top of my head, name two professors named Gary who model this work ethic, this attention to detail and such high standards, I̢۪m certain that there are dozens of professors not named Gary who are just as ready and capable to mentor you.

Decades of wizened insight are already here at Fresno State in each of our professors, and they are all ready to be harnessed. Fresno State students: Harness it.

Even as I type that, I know that I ask too much. Fresno State, despite the hopes of Dr. John Welty and the efforts of Pat Hill, probably won̢۪t amount to more than a convenient diploma outlet for all those second-best graduates of Fresno Unified, the laziest graduates of Clovis Unified and the on-paper eminently qualified Smittcamp scholars.

There̢۪s a possibility, however slim, that Fresno State could be one of the many great California schools rather than just one of the many California schools.

Give yourself the time, the effort and a few sober weekends here and there, and the right professors can help you the rest of the way.

Keep that left-handed desk warm for me until next spring, when I hope to return. Even if I don̢۪t, I ask that you help me turn a new, more auspicious page for our Alma Mater.

My cynical side tells me even asking overworked and apathetic Fresno State students to aspire to greatness is an exercise in folly. I sure hope it isn̢۪t.

$100
$500

$100
$500

JacobJun 8, 2008 at 3:18 pm

I see nothing clever or amusing about Baxter’s article at all.

JacobJun 8, 2008 at 10:18 pm

JacobJun 8, 2008 at 10:18 pm

AlumniMay 18, 2008 at 11:52 am

Do any of us recall the decision why we chose to attend Fresno State in the first place?

I think (IMHO) that unless you are discussing geometry, then “positive” or “negative” is irrelevant to the education, or senior experience.

Personally, I think the commencement for the graduating classes of 2007-2008, were fun and exciting. I note those in attendance at Friday’s, and yesterday’s convocations were seemingly optimistic, and emotional.

We chose as an alumni, Fresno high school graduate, or regular citizen, to stay or leave Fresno, and make out of each day what we put into it. Life is about choices. My choice was to attend a California college or university that offers an above average program for my field of study or major.

I say for my money, (rent, books, loans, etc.) that the Fresno State experience was worth it. I was going to move to another area (brain drain) due to the declining economy and decline of job prospects here in the valley,. Surprisingly, I was offered an excellent career in real estate (post-graduation). I searched and grew weary of the minimum wage jobs advertised, but mustered a way to look into multiple careers, and locales. I think we have to encompass our life experiences, strengths, and passions. Okay, it was not a job in the field of major study, but sometimes life is about choice, or thinking outside the box.

I, for one, will bear witness to the electrical atmosphere in the Save Mart Center last evening. I am finding my senior experience gratifying. The Central Valley and Fresno serve and my inspirational device to change. And for the record Fresno is not “a pitâ€Â and if you think, it is stay in Barstow.

I think Ben used his sarcasm properly. Some writers chose to be funny in a sarcastic way, especially when they are writing for a smart audience. And aren’t we all smarter because of being in Fresno, and attending college?

AlumniMay 18, 2008 at 6:52 pm

I, for one, will bear witness to the electrical atmosphere in the Save Mart Center last evening. I am finding my senior experience gratifying. The Central Valley and Fresno serve and my inspirational device to change. And for the record Fresno is not “a pit” and if you think, it is stay in Barstow.

AlumniMay 18, 2008 at 6:52 pm

AlumniMay 18, 2008 at 11:42 am

Personally, I think this past Friday’s commencement for the graduating classes of 2007-2008, fun and exciting. I note those in attendance at Friday’s, and yesterday’s convocations were seemingly optimistic, and emotional.

We chose as an alumni, Fresno high school graduate, or regular citizen, to stay or leave Fresno, and make out of each day what we put into it. Life is about choices. My choice was to attend a California college or university that offers an above average public relations program.

I say for my money, (rent, books, loans, etc.) that the Fresno State experience was worth it. I was to move back to Seattle, but instead was offered an excellent job opportunity post-graduation, starting Monday. I searched and grew weary of the minimum wage jobs advertised. I found a way to look into multiple careers encompassing my overall experience. Okay, it was not a job in the field of my major study, but sometimes life is about choice, or thinking outside the box.

I, for one, will bear witness to the electrical atmosphere in the Save Mart Center last evening. I find my senior experience and Central Valley inspirational, not “a pit.â€Â

And for the sake of argument, I think Ben uses sarcasm properly. Some people chose to be funny in a smart way, especially when they write to a smart audience.

AlumniMay 18, 2008 at 6:42 pm

I, for one, will bear witness to the electrical atmosphere in the Save Mart Center last evening. I find my senior experience and Central Valley inspirational, not “a pit.”

AlumniMay 18, 2008 at 6:42 pm

• E

EmmaMay 12, 2008 at 5:42 pm

I understand the article just fine. Jonathan, you don’t seem to understand what my point is! Baxter may be saying that he likes Fresno State, but by going on and saying, “My cynical side tells me even asking overworked and apathetic Fresno State students to aspire to greatness is an exercise in folly.” , Baxter has completely overshadowed any “optimism” in his article, which was not much to begin with.

• E

EmmaMay 13, 2008 at 12:42 am

• E

EmmaMay 13, 2008 at 12:42 am

Jonathan LaneMay 12, 2008 at 5:16 pm

In regards to “whatever’s” comment, you raise a good point and I would have to retract my last statement about students from the area “never leaving this dusty pit.”

In regards to Emma, I dont think you quite understand the article yet. You should read it over again a few times. The article touches on a few petty negative attributes of the University to display how close it can be to greatness. Nobody is attempting to completely discount Fresno State’s academic quality.

Jonathan LaneMay 13, 2008 at 12:16 am

Jonathan LaneMay 13, 2008 at 12:16 am

WhateverMay 12, 2008 at 9:38 am

wahh wahh i want to live on the beach. it’s too dusty and pitiful here! wahh wahh I deserve to live wherever I want because I’m special and Fresno isn’t. Wahh wahhh all the other smart white kids are in cool schools! My parents suck!

Poor me, not living somewhere cool! Too bad half of the world’s population is in destitute poverty or some crap.

That being said, Fresno State can be pretty darn pitiful. It sucks when the class underachieves and the professors get discouraged and go easy on everybody so their evaluations don’t suffer. I think Baxter is being pretty accurate here.

But seriously, in response to Jonathan. I’m not sure why leaving Fresno is a measure of success. Sure, if people don’t leave town and they go on to work in fast food and make chump change for the rest of their lives, then maybe you can criticize motivation and life choices. But plenty of people who stay in Fresno are very successful. A little bit of money goes a long way here.

WhateverMay 12, 2008 at 4:38 pm

WhateverMay 12, 2008 at 4:38 pm

• E

EmmaMay 12, 2008 at 12:29 am

Well you and Baxter may not be shooting for the stars but don’t generalize the rest of Fresno State’s students into your negative category! I have many friends whom opted to pay high prices at the U.C.’s and now most of them are working in retail and are not using their degree’s! There are many reasons why people choose Fresno State, and it isn’t always because they are lazy and looking for the easy way out. Besides, some of us are not from this “dusty pit” to begin with and we still saw something special in Fresno State. I really do feel sorry for people like you, people that seem to focus on what’s negative instead what our university has accomplished, or at least is trying to accomplish!

• E

EmmaMay 12, 2008 at 7:29 am

• E

EmmaMay 12, 2008 at 7:29 am

Benjamin BaxterMay 10, 2008 at 2:18 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment
    Future Squirrel Stuffer

Optimism it is.

Benjamin BaxterMay 10, 2008 at 9:18 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment
    Future Squirrel Stuffer

Optimism it is.

Benjamin BaxterMay 10, 2008 at 9:18 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment
    Future Squirrel Stuffer

Optimism it is.

Jonathan LaneMay 10, 2008 at 9:26 am

I believe that the article is not simply suggesting that our school is “second rate” rather that it has great potential to be a top rated educational institution within the California system. I think that Baxter is applauding Fresno State students by reminding us that we are already very close to achieving this goal as it would only take “some time and effort, a few sober weekends, and a few good professors.” The fact that classes like “drama 62” are a joke and that our school is filled with lazy Fresno and Clovis high school “lowest common denominators” is really not up for debate while I understand that the Fresno/Clovis schools do produce some very academically inclined students. Lets face it, anyone who grew up in this town and attends Fresno State is not exactly “shooting for the stars.” They might have aspirations for greatness but I could put money on it that a great percentage will never leave this dusty pit.

I thought that this article showed a great deal of pride for Fresno State as it displays a student whos negative perceptions of University life will be that which he misses upon graduation. In all, this article is optimistic.

– Jonathan Lane

Jonathan LaneMay 10, 2008 at 4:26 pm

– Jonathan Lane

Jonathan LaneMay 10, 2008 at 4:26 pm

– Jonathan Lane

• E

EmmaMay 9, 2008 at 7:10 pm

How is anyone suppose to be motivated to improve our school when you imply that it is second rate? I could have went to several other colleges, ones closer to my home, but I chose Fresno State because of its spirit and pride in itself! I hope others are have higher standards for Fresno State and its students than you do!

• E

EmmaMay 10, 2008 at 2:10 am

• E

EmmaMay 10, 2008 at 2:10 am

WhateverMay 7, 2008 at 10:11 pm

Band sux.

Sorry. That’s all I got.

WhateverMay 8, 2008 at 5:11 am

Band sux.

Sorry. That’s all I got.

WhateverMay 8, 2008 at 5:11 am

Band sux.

Sorry. That’s all I got.